Greetings from Ohio

Hello everyone, just looking for a place to hang my hat, talk about guns, talk about politics and maybe even pizza without being flamed for being both "liberal" and a gun owner/nut. I am mostly liberal in my views on things, I think people should be able to marry who they want, the rights of women should be protected and I don't particularly want religion in the government. I also like guns :) but want a common sense discussion on the topic without either side resorting to name calling and off-the-cuff statistics to "prove" their point. I don't think Obama is an evil Muslim, or that he hates the military or that he hates the USA or any other of the lies spread by the conservative right, I think he's a decent guy who's done a good job even with an obstructionist Congress. I can't stand the thought of Trump... or Cruz or Kasich being president, I voted for Obama both times and Bernie in the primary.

I cleared out most of my firearms last year to save some money but am slowly (not slow enough according to my wife) building it back up. So far I've got a 1974(ish) SKS, a Savage Axis .223 (hoping to trade for an AR upper), a brand new Remington 870 express tactical, a Sig P225/P6 9mm from before I was born, a Savage .17hmr that I LOVE to hunt with and a Marlin Model 60 that I loathe but was given to me by my father, so I keep it :) I have a degree in Computer Science and am a software engineer by profession, I'm married and have a son and a daughter on the way and my wife and I are in the middle of selling our house and buying another one. If you read all that, then I commend you :)
The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson (among many others)

Re: Greetings from Ohio

Welcome and congrats on the kids and house! Big reason for not selling anything is not having to build back up. What's your wife think about your interest and what's your safety plan with the kids? And again a big Houston welcome! :beer2:

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote:Welcome and congrats on the kids and house! Big reason for not selling anything is not having to build back up. What's your wife think about your interest and what's your safety plan with the kids? And again a big Houston welcome! :beer2:
Thanks! Yes, I learned that lesson all too well: I sold an AR15, a 1911 and a .308 among others, and wouldn't you know that I plan on building an AR15, buying a .308 and a 1911... Ah, the cycle never ends!

She's very cool with it, she isn't really into shooting or guns but doesn't have a problem with them or me owning them, her only problems are how often they come into the house :) As far as safety is concerned, my son is 2.5 years old, so he's not old enough to get into anything as long as I put it high enough away. That being said, I never keep ammunition and firearms in the same room and nothing is ever left loaded in my house. There isn't much stuff in my house right now, so my safe and all my gun stuff are being stored until we move, so for the short term all is put in the bedroom up on shelves away from prying eyes (and hands).
The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.

Welcome from Lexington KY
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

dpfeifer wrote:Whereabouts in OH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
North east of Dayton for now, but will shortly be moving south of Dayton to Centerville.

I've been to Columbus many times, but being a Michigan fan makes it difficult to enjoy the place fully ;)

Welcome from northern California.

I've found that pizzas without handi wipes does not mix well with shooting stuff because slippery. But with handi wipes, I've found pizza boxes look pretty good at 300 meters.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

LGNutOhio wrote:

North east of Dayton for now, but will shortly be moving south of Dayton to Centerville.

I've been to Columbus many times, but being a Michigan fan makes it difficult to enjoy the place fully ;)
I am in the process of conversion to the Blue. My daughter lives in Ann Arbor and her husband and his family are huge Michigan fans. I can wash off my OSU Ph.D.

Howdy and :welcome: from Oregon!

So, you're planning to still have time to shoot while raising children? :roflmao: My daughter is 8 and I nip out for some range time now and then on those odd occasions when I get enough sleep not to see double of everything. ;)
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Bucolic wrote:
LGNutOhio wrote:

I am in the process of conversion to the Blue. My daughter lives in Ann Arbor and her husband and his family are huge Michigan fans. I can wash off my OSU Ph.D.
I've been to Ann Arbor one time as a kid and I remember going to the old Michigan stadium, but I don't remember much else. I'm also an Air Force brat, so I can't call Ohio my native state, that would be Nevada, but we moved when I was less than a year old. OSU Ph.D. is very interesting, what field?

Bacchus wrote:Howdy and :welcome: from Oregon!

So, you're planning to still have time to shoot while raising children? :roflmao: My daughter is 8 and I nip out for some range time now and then on those odd occasions when I get enough sleep not to see double of everything. ;)
My wife and I work pretty well together, she typically gets time out with the ladies during the week and I take care of the kiddo, then (sometimes) on the weekends I'll get some range time or hunting time in. Some may call me a pansy, but I hate hunting when it's hot and humid in Ohio, so I try to hunt in the spring or fall :)

RurouniKakita wrote:Welcome from CO by a MI transplant. You sound like my clone, except for the Michigan fan thing. What type of software do you engineer?
If it's any comfort I don't pay much attention to sports any more - it took about 14 years of part time work to finish my degree, in that time I had very few weekends to spend watching sports, instead I spent most of them writing code. Oh the fun times.

I work for a big "data" company that is ubiquitous with public records... if you're familiar with that industry you'll probably figure it out pretty quick. I unfortunately don't get to write much code, just some basic JavaScript or the odd SQL query. Most of the "engineering" part of my job is building a process that satisfies a customers need, so perhaps a large credit card company wants to pull some public record information on its customers (bankruptcy, deceased, best addresses or phone), I build that process and write the code that pulls it all together so the customer is satisfied. Well, "satisfied" :)

Are you involved with software engineering or computer science as well?