hey kids (CA-SF Bay)

:fun: LGC noob from Concord, CA

Don't get out to the range as much as I'd like. Only one of my two kids is "of age" per the rules of the local range that I frequent.

Please add me to the CA and SF/EBay group if there is one.

I view gun restrictions as part of the overall government war on freedom.
End the war on guns
End the war on drugs
End the war on privacy
End the war on general purpose computing
etc.

Re: hey kids (CA-SF Bay)

Welcome!

Do you shoot at USI? That's a nice range. We should do a Bay Area meet up there some time (but not in the hot months!).

I'm a member of DAP (Diablo Action Pistol) and shoot out there a few times a year.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

STLWaffles wrote:War on general purpose computing?
Indeed! The ability to use our computers and control them to only perform the functions we (the owners) desire. Restrictions on encryption and anonymity, govt planted backdoors and bots, net neutrality issues, these all stem from basic privacy and property rights. I don't know that it will be as big of a public mind issue as the others but also look at what the government did to Kevin Mitnick, Weev, Aaron Swartz - similar to the overstepping of boundaries and abuse of powers that the firearms community has faced.
KnightsFan wrote::welcome: from Florida! What do you shoot?
Mostly pistol, I am trying to broaden my horizons a bit but it is difficult given time constraints, put together a beginner precision .22lr rig and bought a shotgun for trap and possible duck hunting, going to take hunter ed at the end of the month.
Fukshot wrote:Howdy from Oakland. You should be able to see the LGC CA subforum now.
Thanks, I can.
Elmo wrote:Welcome!

Do you shoot at USI? That's a nice range. We should do a Bay Area meet up there some time (but not in the hot months!).

I'm a member of DAP (Diablo Action Pistol) and shoot out there a few times a year.
Yup - DR&G life member. DAP is really the only action pistol I've shot, but I haven't been in quite some time. Would really like to get RO2 so I can shoot in the bays whenever. Are the Wed steel matches happening this summer?

That's an interesting way of putting the argument for e-privacy. I never thought about the restrictions placed on what I can do with my machine. Though the bigger problem with that is private companies.

And cool, it's great seeing all the different types of shooters we're accumulating.
"No one can build his security upon the nobleness of another person."
-Willa Cather

Welcome from the south west bay.
rkt88edmo wrote:Only one of my two kids is "of age" per the rules of the local range that I frequent.
There are ranges with very low age restrictions. I think Reed's (indoor range at SJC airport) and Metcalf (county park outdoor range between San Jose and San Martin) have very low age restrictions, our son shot there when he was 7 or 8.
End the war on general purpose computing
That's not a war, just a minor skirmish.

I can encrypt anything I want with remarkably strong encryption. I can upload these encrypted files to my own web server (which is visible to much of the western world, and I never checked whether China or Iran care to block it). I can access tor and friends (although I don't care to). The government doesn't prevent me from posting this drivel under the screen name "treelogger" (although it would take a medium-smart government agent less than 5 minute to find out who I really am, just from the hints I drop, without any recourse to things like IP address). While I admit that privacy in the traditional sense has mostly vanished, I see that in a differentiated fashion: Much of that is not the "evil" government's doing, but is caused by the fact that I'm lazy enough to use google and facebook, and voluntarily tell them everything they want to know. And the fact that a lot of information that is in the public record is now easy to find and read is both good and bad: I love spending evenings looking at the web sites of various court systems to see what lawsuits my former political opponents have filed recently, but it annoys me slightly that anyone can look up how much my house is worth (by looking at the property tax bill).

So far, general purpose computing seems to be winning the war. Remember the clipper chip? I think that battle was symptomatic for many battles in this war.

$ up treelogger. Long time no see.

We will see on the computing front. The libertarian and anti authoritarian streak in computing seems to be softening somewhat. And we havent had a major infrastructure failure from a computer attack yet that would give them the political will for such a change. I do remember the clipper chip and how well the community bucked that off.