Greetings from North Dakota

I kinda stumbled onto this forum via a general google search, which was caused by my 'fatigue' with other gun blogs and sites out there. Just..so..much vitriol.

Anyway, I'm in the frozen north a.k.a North Dakota, though I'm originally an Army brat so I have no real point of origin. Though I moved up here from Texas a few years ago (I do love Texas), I've also lived in Georgia, NC, Kansas and a good chunk of time in Germany. It's been kind of a long strange trip, and I never thought I would end up here in ND, but that's life.

I'm currently trying to build up a decent firearm collection, so far I've built a 20" AR, bought a M&P 15-22 (when .22 flowed like water, fun gun), Walther p22, Ruger SR22, RIA 1911, and my EDC is a S&W Shield 9mm with Ameriglo I dot sights. Next purchase is a CZ-p09...eventually, shooting is expensive.

I'd love to get into three gun, or other competitive shooting, hell I'd even really like some more training but I live in the middle of nowhere (I'm 100 miles from anything in any direction) so this makes it difficult.

Other than that I look forward to lurking mostly, and every once in awhile actually posting...maybe.

Re: Greetings from North Dakota

KnightsFan wrote::welcome: From Orlando!

You'll find plenty of vitriol around here, but more about ignorance and hatred.

How do you like the SR22 compared to the P22?
The SR22 is far more reliable when it comes to feeding than the P22, though to be fair I do have an older model S&W marked P22. It needs to go back in for some maintenece, but I've been too lazy to get off my but and send it. Accuracy wise they are both extremely ammunition dependent, I've found the best results with CCI mini-mags, winchester M22, and stingers. Fit and finish wise the P22 feels more solid, and while both have polymer frames the Walther feels less plasticky than the Ruger. That being said, I like them both and I mostly shoot the P22 while my wife is the primary user on the Ruger (it's the purple model, and while I have no problems using a purple or even a pink gun I tend to not buy colors other than black, took me awhile to even like fde in a gun).

EDIT* I don't shoot my .22s much anymore, finding ammo has as you all know been problematic. I have just under 2000 rounds left (used to burn through two bricks a week with the M&P15-22) and I haven't been able to replace them for awhile. Mostly because I refuse to pay those prices for .22
Last edited by GravyBoat on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fukshot wrote::welcome: from Oakland

I know why we call people Gravy Boat in Northern California messenger slang, but I'm guessing you might have a different meaning?
To me it actually has no meaning, except a few years ago when I needed a handle for an online game and I was hitting the bottom of the barrel creatively, and it was thanksgiving soooo...I love lamp basically.

I'm hesitant to ask, but whats the other meaning you referenced?

GravyBoat wrote:That being said, I like them both and I mostly shoot the P22 while my wife is the primary user on the Ruger (it's the purple model, and while I have no problems using a purple or even a pink gun I tend to not buy colors other than black, took me awhile to even like fde in a gun).
Hmm alright, I'm debating on eventually buying a polymer .22 and those are the two I've heard the most about. The local range used to rent them both, but not just the Ruger, shot it the other day and it was nice, but you know how it is with a rental. Never trust them.

And if you're looking for .22 look in the places you wouldn't expect it. I found quite a lot at a fishing/outdoor store.
"No one can build his security upon the nobleness of another person."
-Willa Cather

KnightsFan wrote:
GravyBoat wrote:That being said, I like them both and I mostly shoot the P22 while my wife is the primary user on the Ruger (it's the purple model, and while I have no problems using a purple or even a pink gun I tend to not buy colors other than black, took me awhile to even like fde in a gun).
Hmm alright, I'm debating on eventually buying a polymer .22 and those are the two I've heard the most about. The local range used to rent them both, but not just the Ruger, shot it the other day and it was nice, but you know how it is with a rental. Never trust them.

And if you're looking for .22 look in the places you wouldn't expect it. I found quite a lot at a fishing/outdoor store.
To be honest you can't go wrong with the ruger, and if you wanted to go scary accurate look at the ruger mark III or the 22/45 or one of the browning buckmarks. I would avoid the Sig mosquito, a friend of mine has one and not only are the mags expensive (seems more so than the ruger) it seems to extremely ammo finnicky. The SR22 however has eaten everything I've thrown at it with not a single misfire, misfeed or failure to extract. Even remington golden bullets and winchester white box (the dirtiest .22 i have ever seen) give it no issues at all.

GravyBoat wrote:
Fukshot wrote::welcome: from Oakland

I know why we call people Gravy Boat in Northern California messenger slang, but I'm guessing you might have a different meaning?
To me it actually has no meaning, except a few years ago when I needed a handle for an online game and I was hitting the bottom of the barrel creatively, and it was thanksgiving soooo...I love lamp basically.

I'm hesitant to ask, but whats the other meaning you referenced?
Gravy boat, gravy train, and gravy dog are messenger slang for someone who is working very hard to make a lot of high commission deliveries. Sometimes gravy boat is used to specifically reference someone who is not working as hard, but is in good with the dispatcher and is selectively being given higher paying deliveries. Often messengers used to bribe dispatchers with breakfast or beer to become the gravy boat.

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

From San Francisco!

At least in North Dakota you can use Gunbot and folks can ship you some 22LR rounds.

For the cost of 22LR around here, I can load .223 and 40 S&W for less. I save 22LR for indoctrination missions with my kids at the range.. :smart: :smart:

Enjoy the forum!

:beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.