Re: From beautiful western Wisconsin

atxgunguy wrote:
Posted on the wall of my cube at work is a sticker that reads "Keep Austin Weird", and another with that timeless slogan "Onward, Through the Fog". Back in days long past, we used to drive down to Austin from 'Doches for the weekend, hit a few places with bands, eat chicken fried steak at the Stallion or have a Pearl and a burger at Dirty's, do a bunch of other good stuff. Oh yeah, I have some fine memories of Austin.
Religion & Govt. will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together. – James Madison

nigel wrote:
oldcrank22 wrote:
nigel wrote:Hello from the warm and sunny part of the Republic. :wave:
Anywhere near San Diego? My older daughter and her husband are there. Weather is relentlessly beautiful. Go out and ride a motorcycle and burn some powder for me!
Right there in San Diego. And I've done both hedonistic pursuits in the last week or so.
I prefer to think of them as Epicurean rather than purely hedonistic. They give pleasure and harm no one if pursued with care and benign intent.
Religion & Govt. will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together. – James Madison

Re: Strat man

oldcrank22 wrote:dandad -- Yep, I play a hardtail Strat. What else feels so natural? As has been said many times before, Leo and his crew got it right the first time. I have you beat by a few years on the guitar, but I bet you're a better player. Is there a place you can post some pix of your handiwork? One of the great things about Fender-style guitars is that they are so customize-able.

Ok, here are the 3 guitFiddles I made out of reclaimed 120 year old douglas fir. Which is amazingly light compared to even ash, alder and bass wood usually used in guitars. I didnt know this before, but douglas fir , due to its straight grain, will return to its original shape even if its soaked in water for years on end. Once dried, its just as it was before it got wet! kind of cool I thought..

anyway, the PlankTone, pretty self explanatory when you see it, was originally orange, but with my 12 and 14 year old daughters being so great at art, I decided to cover it with some of their work. took photos and scans, printed them out on Water Slide decal sheets, applied to the body and cover with clear coat. I was going to make it slick smooth clear finish, but the water slide decal is over 4 mils itself, and that would take forever to bring the clear up enough to sand it smooth. So , its textured for now lol. had to change it to white because waters slide decals in color dont really show up well on other background colors as I found out. I liked it orange, but I love it with my kids art work. The neck came from an old cheap guitar I had that was made long ago by St. Louis Music, which no longer exist. I did a little reshaping to the headstock, taking it from a point to more like a Kramer style.

The brown one, my favorite, it my baritone. the neck is from a short scale [ 20 fret] Epiphone SG bass guitar. Ive had the neck for years laying around and finally found a use for it. I glued up 3 planks of the douglas fir to get the body width, then a lot of cutting, sanding, chisel work [ not that great with the router yet] and more sanding. went with a race car theme, brown, cream white racing stripe, and again, a water slide decal I printed for a speedometer as the volume knob numbers. The aluminum circle trim ring came from an old Kodak slide projector that was destine for the dumpster. It was a ring used for aesthetics on the end of the projectors lens. I had troubled getting the eyes right for the though the body strings, so I make a billet block one from 6062 T6 aluminum, aircraft grade if that really matters lol. I thought I was on to something, only to find out that Leo Fender already with the company he started when he left Fender a while back, G&L guitars. Anyway, its a hell of a lot easier to remove a rectangle of wood than it was to get every one of those inserts lined up with the bridge. at least it was for me ... Im lazy like that .... :D So I reshaped the headstock and put 6 machine heads in, cut a new nut for it, and refinished the frets, and bobs your uncle. The pickup is a used Laney bar magnet humbucker single coil. I let it raw with only a volume knob, no tone, nothing but pick up to volume 500k pot and out to the amp. Sounds amazing I think, but Im bias ..

And the last is my Salvador Dahli inspired strat body. The neck was from Stewart Mac and was for a Tele originally. I completely reshaped it, gave it a new radius, going from 10 to 12 radius on the fretboard, . made new fret marker dots, refretted it with jumbo stainless frets and then dressed the frets up. The neck pu is a Seymour Duncan Duck Buster, single space, humbucker that gives that awesome twangy sounds for rock a billy , and another Seymour Duncan sh16 59 humbucker. The red button is my Buckethead kill switch, and the paint is Auto Air white pearl, which is completely eco friendly water based latex. so safe you can drink it. Which I did once when a neighbor turned me in to the city for painting a car in my garage. I did it to prove to the inspector it wasnt harmful, and after that, and he looked up Auto Air on his own, he not only started using it when he painted at his house, but he told my neighbor I was find to paint. Which pissed my grumpy neighbor off lol, but he calls the city on everyone in our neighborhood, while he breaks so many laws himself. A do as I say, Not as I do kind of douche bag.. Yup, you probably guessed, he is a Tea Bagger too. Anyway, this one is called the D7, and lucky icons, like the number 7, or clover, and other things are on it here and there to represent luck. My brother calls me Lucky Guy. when I ask him why, since I have the worst luck in the world, he said " just cause its bad luck, its still luck" he had a point.
All the guitars are LEAJ, which are the first initial and middle initial of both my daughters. and its sounds like a french toiletry product :laugh: so there you have it. more info than you ever wanted to know..

http://s281.photobucket.com/user/dan1da ... ody%20axes
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

guitars

dandad -- Those are fine-looking guitars, very individualistic, very much in the great tradition of DIY. I wonder if your grumpy tea party neighbor ever thought about the contradiction between his political views and the fact that he calls on the detested gummint to carry out his objections to you painting in your own garage.

Did you ever see that movie "It Might Get Loud"? If you have not, it opens with Jack White making an electric slide guitar out of a 2x4, two nails, a piece of wire and a salvaged pickup. You're already way ahead of him!

Re: guitars

oldcrank22 wrote:dandad -- Those are fine-looking guitars, very individualistic, very much in the great tradition of DIY. I wonder if your grumpy tea party neighbor ever thought about the contradiction between his political views and the fact that he calls on the detested gummint to carry out his objections to you painting in your own garage.

Did you ever see that movie "It Might Get Loud"? If you have not, it opens with Jack White making an electric slide guitar out of a 2x4, two nails, a piece of wire and a salvaged pickup. You're already way ahead of him!

I really dont think his brain is wired to comprehend things like that. Most tea party people I know, friends, family, neighbors, seem to be wired to only think about themselves and their wants only. nothing else really can be processed by their brains.

I have that movie on DVD !! its a great documentary..
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

CDFingers wrote:Neat electrics. Yes: very individualistic. Hopefully the sound is just exactly perfect.

CDFingers

Nah, they are not perfect, but thats what makes them unique and individuals. If they sounded like everything else, who would care ? lol Im not going for perfection, just having fun with them. .
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

CDFingers wrote:Neat electrics. Yes: very individualistic. Hopefully the sound is just exactly perfect.

CDFingers

Nah, they are not perfect, but thats what makes them unique and individuals. If they sounded like everything else, who would care ? lol Im not going for perfection, just having fun with them. .
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

CDFingers wrote:The neat thing about electrics is that you can change the sound--it's not dependent on the wood much. Electronics is a neat aspect of guitars.

CDFingers

yeah, I am not a believer that wood makes much of a difference in electric guitars. Acoustic, yes it does, but they have make electrics from plastic, fiber glass, kevlar, steel, aluminum, yard implements like shovels and rakes, and yes, even concrete, and they all sound like an electric guitar. The first electric 6 string Guitar was made from a rail road tie by Les Paul.
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

oldcrank22 - Welcome to the LGC from Tucson. :beer2:

dandad - if I may take a small liberty:
dandad wrote:
Nah, they milsurps are not perfect, but thats what makes them unique and individuals. If they sounded looked like everything else, who would care ? lol Im not going for perfection, just having fun with them. .
It's just too apt; I couldn't resist. :sorry:
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

beaurrr wrote:oldcrank22 - Welcome to the LGC from Tucson. :beer2:

dandad - if I may take a small liberty:
dandad wrote:
Nah, they milsurps are not perfect, but thats what makes them unique and individuals. If they sounded looked like everything else, who would care ? lol Im not going for perfection, just having fun with them. .
It's just too apt; I couldn't resist. :sorry:
beaurrr: Agreed, the character of an old milsurp beats the "new rifle smell" of an out-of-the-box 21st-century super rifle any day. There may be some dreadful history attached, but if only those old rifles could talk . . .
Last edited by oldcrank22 on Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: guitars

dandad wrote:
oldcrank22 wrote:dandad -- Those are fine-looking guitars, very individualistic, very much in the great tradition of DIY. I wonder if your grumpy tea party neighbor ever thought about the contradiction between his political views and the fact that he calls on the detested gummint to carry out his objections to you painting in your own garage.

I really dont think his brain is wired to comprehend things like that. Most tea party people I know, friends, family, neighbors, seem to be wired to only think about themselves and their wants only. nothing else really can be processed by their brains.

I have that movie on DVD !! its a great documentary..
dandad: The tea party people I know seem to feel that their personal rights come ahead of their responsibilities as citizens of a nation. They see corruption in government and fail to notice that all bureaucracies eventually become corrupt. They want to close entire departments, rather than clean house. They don't understand that they are putting the fox in charge of the chicken coop.

I never was much of a U2 fan, but in "It Might Get Loud", The Edge came off as the most likable of the three, a down-to-earth Irishman (though I do find the use of an adopted name a little over the top -- two in one band, no less). Jack White is like an actor portraying a character all the time, and Page seems to see himself as an English aristocrat. You're right, the music and the quality of the movie itself make it one of my all-time favorite documentaries.

wlewisiii wrote:
oldcrank22 wrote:
wlewisiii wrote::welcome: from wonderful warm (for the season ;) ) Hayward Wi. Where in Wisconsin are you?
I'm just north of Holmen, which is just north of La Crosse. Do you have a good snow cover yet up in Hayward?
6 ~ 8" that have stayed. It's ok, for the time of year. How's the big river these days?
Howdy from California!

We spend time each summer up north at Atkins Lake. One day I hope to be there for grouse season, or at least winter just to check it out.

Are they building the Pembroke Hills iron mine yet? Hope not....it's a shame to waste all that grouse habitat for substandard ore.

: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

drigeba wrote:
wlewisiii wrote:
oldcrank22 wrote:
wlewisiii wrote::welcome: from wonderful warm (for the season ;) ) Hayward Wi. Where in Wisconsin are you?
I'm just north of Holmen, which is just north of La Crosse. Do you have a good snow cover yet up in Hayward?
6 ~ 8" that have stayed. It's ok, for the time of year. How's the big river these days?
Howdy from California!

We spend time each summer up north at Atkins Lake. One day I hope to be there for grouse season, or at least winter just to check it out.

Are they building the Pembroke Hills iron mine yet? Hope not....it's a shame to waste all that grouse habitat for substandard ore.

: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
drigeba: Hey there 'Frisco. The mine isn't under construction yet -- there are a few enviro-cranks with their fingers in the dike. But you can bet that with the money behind the mine, and behind biz interests in general here, that the grouse don't have a chance. I used to hunt the gentleman grouse north of Antigo, a bit west of Green Bay. Enlightened logging practices actually create good habitat for them, but an open-pit mine most assuredly will not.

Thank you for the kind welcome. How do you explain to liberal friends that you own and shoot guns, and still stand for progressive ideals? Here, I have trouble explaining (or even admitting) to shooting acquaintances how I could possibly be in favor of the government staying out of peoples' bedrooms, or spending a little tax money to try to educate young people. They want to know why I oppose prayer in schools ("This is a Christian nation!"). They can't understand why I don't share their enthusiasm for militarizing the Rio Grande to keep out all those little brown people who don't speak English and eat funny food.

I try not to be an overeducated snob. It is easier in Wisconsin to wear a camo cap or a blaze jacket to a Democratic candidate's rally, than it is to have the boys at the rifle range notice a Tammy Baldwin sticker on your truck. I guess the balance must be approximately reversed in the Bay Area.

GravyBoat wrote:Welcome from North Dakota, where all anybody talks about right now is going ice fishing, wanting to go ice fishing or hey you remember that time we went ice fishing. :P
Thanks, Gravy Boat. Our ice is yet to be thick enough down here in the balmy Coulee country. We've had days in the 40sF, and nothing but a few icy remnants of dirty snow remain. I'm sure the snowmobilers' and ice fishers' prayers will be answered shortly, though.