Re: Hello from NorCal

senorgrand wrote:Whachya shoot and what end of NorCal do you hail from?
Well, if you're from central, then you won't agree I'm from northern. Silly geography labels. I'm actually in Sonoma County, so coastal North Bay.

I shoot pretty much everything. Handguns include semi-auto, revolver, single-action revolver (love my Rugers). Long guns include bolt, pump, semi-auto, 22, 5.56, 7.62x39, 308, etc, and 12 gauge shotgun. Not a hunter, but support them. I shoot mostly because it's so damn fun. Plus self-defense. Plus I believe rights are like muscles. If we don't exercise them, they atrophy and die.

mudcamper wrote:
senorgrand wrote:Whachya shoot and what end of NorCal do you hail from?
Well, if you're from central, then you won't agree I'm from northern. Silly geography labels. I'm actually in Sonoma County, so coastal North Bay.

I shoot pretty much everything. Handguns include semi-auto, revolver, single-action revolver (love my Rugers). Long guns include bolt, pump, semi-auto, 22, 5.56, 7.62x39, 308, etc, and 12 gauge shotgun. Not a hunter, but support them. I shoot mostly because it's so damn fun. Plus self-defense. Plus I believe rights are like muscles. If we don't exercise them, they atrophy and die.
That's pretty northern. I lived in Mendocino County as a kid...beautiful country up there.

As to 7.62x39, I just started working on my SKS. Finally got a Russian stock for it and I'm about to put a peep sight and fiber optic front on it. Good CA-legal "assault weapon" ;)

My first 308 is in jail right now...a HandiRifle I'm prepping for a potential hog hunt. Have you tried that cheap 308 stuff they're selling at WalMart? I'm looking for something I can punch paper with until I'm ready to sight it in with hunting ammo.

I like your analogy of muscles and rights. I completely agree.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote:Have you tried that cheap 308 stuff they're selling at WalMart? I'm looking for something I can punch paper with until I'm ready to sight it in with hunting ammo.
Not sure what you mean. But I haven't purchased 308 in a couple years. I learned quickly and stocked up big time in between a couple of the panics. I tend to buy ammo in bulk from places like Target Sorts USA (reasonable prices, no tax, free shipping). Last time I bought ammo at WalMart it was Federal red box stuff for around 17 bucks a box. That is some good ammo IMO.

It also depends on the rifle. I have a Remington R-25 (AR type) that is very picky about ammo. And I also have a Ruger Scout, and it eats anything (of course, bolt action), even the cheap steel cased Cabela's Herters ammo.

Welcome, mudcamper! I'm from Sonoma County as well.

Where do you shoot? I shoot most often at Richmond, sometimes Chabot, sometimes Concord, sometimes Circle S.

(SenorGrand, I think you're referring to the ZQI Turkish .308 at Walmart for about $.50/round. I have shot some through my M1A, seems decent.)
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

From San Francisco...

We like spirited, civil discussion here and I hope you enjoy that!

We try to have a meet up every month, and attempt to distribute the inconvenice for everyone by having them in various spots around the state.

The next one is at United sportsmen in Concord on 19 April.

Wouldn't mind having one up in petaluma, I heard there was a nice range there..

:beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.