Hello from DC

Is this Home? I hope so. We are on the eve of another shooting incident and I wanted to talk. I've been banned from the major forums on the left and the right with RKBA discussion boards because I think they are both lunatics, and both think I'm an enemy plant...

I'm at the point where I want to crawl under a rock. I'm a Progressive that believes in responsible gun ownership. I think the solution to this (any?) problem is for people to get together and talk the problems out. What is going on right now are two equally extreme sides yelling at each other and no one is listening. Lunatics all!

Maybe this will be a different kind of place....

I'm Tim and I live in DC but am in an awful part of Texas until April 2016 for school.

Re: Hello from DC

Simmer down wrote:
Hey from Texas.jpg
Awful part of Texas? Can you narrow it down? :wave:
Ouch. My guess is Lamar University or Texas Tech. I guess it depends whether or not you like the smell of napalm in the morning or throwing tortillas on a football field.

...unless you're just in Dallas. I have no excuse for that. :smart:
LGC Texas - Vice President

Welcome from southern NH.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

I'm in Paris Texas which, besides being in East Texas, contains one of only three Jewelry Technology schools in the entire country. Why they put it here I'll never figure out. I guess Texas felt they had to give something to the area. But oh what fun I COULD be having in Austin! My home is in Washington DC however. I live on Capital Hill a couple of blocks from the Capital Building.

I usually just tell people I am at school in Paris which works for the uninformed. But too many people have been to Paris France and when they start with the French or have you been to XYZ, I cannot lie about it. What was the line in the original House of Cards; "You may well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment..."

Merkwuerdigliebe wrote:I'm in Paris Texas which, besides being in East Texas, contains one of only three Jewelry Technology schools in the entire country. Why they put it here I'll never figure out. I guess Texas felt they had to give something to the area. But oh what fun I COULD be having in Austin! My home is in Washington DC however. I live on Capital Hill a couple of blocks from the Capital Building.

I usually just tell people I am at school in Paris which works for the uninformed. But too many people have been to Paris France and when they start with the French or have you been to XYZ, I cannot lie about it. What was the line in the original House of Cards; "You may well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment..."
There are several long rifle ranges in Fannin Co where you are. One thing about that area is that it is never too crowded. You're about an hour and a half north east of Dallas. Let us know if you venture outside Gay Paree. I get up that way now and then.

For what it's worth. That is not the worse part of the state.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Simmer down wrote:
Merkwuerdigliebe wrote:I'm in Paris Texas which, besides being in East Texas, contains one of only three Jewelry Technology schools in the entire country. Why they put it here I'll never figure out. I guess Texas felt they had to give something to the area. But oh what fun I COULD be having in Austin! My home is in Washington DC however. I live on Capital Hill a couple of blocks from the Capital Building.

There are several long rifle ranges in Fannin Co where you are. One thing about that area is that it is never too crowded. You're about an hour and a half north east of Dallas. Let us know if you venture outside Gay Paree. I get up that way now and then.

I looked at the ranges in Fannin and the reviews are they are all kind of dorky. Was going to go to the one in Frisco possibly tomorrow. I have CCW class on Saturday and I haven't even fired my pistol yet. Figured I better do this all while in Texas because DC is still messed up and ridiculously expensive. Pre-register required for like $50 and only FFL in DC charges $125.

Merkwuerdigliebe wrote:
Simmer down wrote:

I looked at the ranges in Fannin and the reviews are they are all kind of dorky. Was going to go to the one in Frisco possibly tomorrow. I have CCW class on Saturday and I haven't even fired my pistol yet. Figured I better do this all while in Texas because DC is still messed up and ridiculously expensive. Pre-register required for like $50 and only FFL in DC charges $125.
What kind of pistol? I started with revolvers, until I realized that just about everyone taking handgun classes would be using pistols. So I bought a Walther P99, which worked quite well for training.

Ewok wrote:
Merkwuerdigliebe wrote:
Simmer down wrote:

What kind of pistol? I started with revolvers, until I realized that just about everyone taking handgun classes would be using pistols. So I bought a Walther P99, which worked quite well for training.
I got an 9mm H&K VP9LE. I looked closely at a Walther PPQ, something S&W M&P, Glock (of course), but settled on the H&K because everyone who handled one said it was so well put together. It was going to be my main pistol to use for target shooting and home defense. So I wanted to get something that was worth owning and keeping. At least as well any plastic pistol could be! I also picked up a Taurus PT111 G2 as an impulse buy. My local FFL was selling them for $205 after a manufacturer rebate and I said to myself (in the process of trying to resist the shop's continuing enticements) that it could be my beater gun when I go camping. Yeah, that's the ticket! I need something for bears!!! Uh humm...