Re: Hello from rural Missouri!

inomaha wrote:
mcguirela wrote:...all the nerds who didn't have a real life sat around in computer labs excited because we could talk with people from other countries, and it was so remarkably new and novel.
Ha, I resemble that remark. I've been posting on forums for almost 15 years or so and I'm a serious nerd. I grew up in rural conservative group think, then moved to city liberal group think for college. So finding my voice was difficult. I'm glad for the internet and wish I had it as a teen.

This place is tame and easy to cut your teeth on. I was a member at one forum that shut down after it imploded. But it was a good one while it lasted. You couldn't put anything up on it without being challenged. It was like being in actual debates where you had to back your opinion with credible sources. Moderators would lock threads for trolling if you couldn't back up your opinions with facts or split side discussions off and set up mini debates.

I learned to hate bad arguments and pick them apart. I try not to do it as much here, so if I come across as pushy, mean, demanding sources, etc. just remember I'm being nice compared to how I was taught. To be honest, joining a discussion group like that sucked at first but I'm glad I stayed there because it really helped me realize just how much people "opinion without thinking". If more people went through that sort of debate and conversation training, I think the country would be better off.

Think of a moderated presidential debate that was timed, graded by professionals, and the moderators could cut off the candidates for straying off the question, and give them a zero grade for not supporting their opinion. My kids in high school would be given failing grades for presenting most of the current political speeches. They'd get and F on a paper if they wrote it down. They'd get an F at a debate for any of the "political debates". You would think the public would expect the people running for president to be able to give a minimum C grade presentation to us.
I debated all 4 years in high school (and did well, if I do say so myself) and can appreciate the points you raise. I think proper debating is a lost art form. That being said, I've got limited enough free time that I don't enjoy reading through discussions where people just lambast one another's opinions (or spout rhetoric with no foundation). I'm pleased to read that the discussions here are more free flowing - especially since I'm a newbie to all things handguns. It's not that I seek to avoid conflict, it's just that I'm not going to expend any energy on it in my 40s. ;)

Re: Hello from rural Missouri!

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I like seeing what an inclusive community you've established, and look forward to getting to know you all better.

I also am amused that I'm finally seeing a pattern to the comments (which I believe pertain to posting frequencies or activity) under each person's name. Initially, I thought it was someone's id (and I thought "loquacious" was really, really active). ;) Fortunately, I'm finally following it.

Thanks again!

Lisa