I'm Frank

Hi, everyone. I'm Frank. I inherited a lee enfield from my uncle. Since I live in Oroville, California, I went to calguns to find out about my rifle. I found out ammo is expensive. I also found out that some gun ownres really don't like new gun people. I read on there where this place exitsts. I wanted to find out if liberal people are nicer to new gun owners than conservative people like the ones who are over on calguns.

I shot this rifle when I was a kid, and I said I liked it. So my uncle gave it to me in his will. I want to find out about this rifle without getting insulted. I know you can load shells for this gun, so I want to find out because ammo is expensvie.

Hello.

FRankMo

Re: I'm Frank

Welcome! We're usually pretty nice so long as the booze supply holds up.

I don't know squat about Enfields but I'm sure some of the Enfieldheads will be along shortly.
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

Howdy From Houston
:welcome:

Sorry, I can't help you. However, you will definitely find some one nice enough to help you out with loading your own shells in this place.
As I found out, you may be here for a certain goal, but you will stay because most people here are down right likable.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

Welcome from south of you in Napa!

I think you're in luck Frank, one of our regulars who also happens to be a reloader is up in your neck of the woods. He might even haven an Enfield or two IIRC. CDFingers should be along shortly.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Hey from Texas.jpg
Hey from Texas.jpg (11.71 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
Yes, reloading British 303 is waaaay cheaper than buying the stuff. Those are bottle necks and take a little effort to size the brass compared to a straight walled revolver round. Maybe someone is near you to walk you through the process and see if you're up for learning it.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Welcome, Frank. We can be nice...if'n the mood strikes. :D

I see you live in the same town as RCBS...the famous reloading equipment company.

Enfields are pretty neat and have a rich history. I have a No. 4 Mk2, and I have reloaded a little bit for it. Really pretty easy. Plenty of load data out there. What type of Enfield do you have?
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

SailDesign wrote::welcome: from the Far(ish) North. I last shot a Lee-Enfield in 1972, so I'm a bit out of touch, but they are lovely guns. Congrats, and welcome to the kinder gun forum. :)
I last shot one 3 weeks ago :)

I tried reloading for it. No patience. Still have all the stuff though. I don't shoot it often enough to worry too much about the cost but I have a ton of brass and bullets.

Welcome!

Well, Hello there, Frank! :welcome:

We love fresh mea -'er, New Members!

"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Greetings from Chico. Yeah: I have an Enfield, and I reload. I'm in the process of working up a load for my No.1 MkIII*. I can help you figure out a few things, but not all things. That's why you have to come here from time to time. Maybe we can shoot sometime.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Aloha from Ohio.

I think you'll find the LGC rating A LOT higher in the respect category than many other groups.

:welcome:
“We cannot be sure of having something to live for unless we are willing to die for it.”
― Ernesto Che Guevara

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

From San Francisco.

We are friendly folks who should be able to help you out with your old rifle. Main thing is to be safe and have fun.

Periodically we trek up there to the shooting range there in the wildlife area.

:beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

Howdy Frank and :welcome: from Oregon!

Oh yeah, we're friendly as hell here... just don't piss on the rug or eat all the cookies. Because that rug really ties the room together. ;)

Lee Enfields are cool- Ask your questions and I'll bet there will be many good answers. Pictures are always appreciated!

Again, welcome! :)
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

FrankMo wrote:I drove over to Huntingtons ans saw all the mounted animals. I got a 1975 Hornady reloading handbook for $1 in the bargin bin. It has my bullet, so I will read about it. The private messages don't work here.

FrankMo
Welcome from Houston! :beer2:
There's a five or ten post requirement for PMs. Ask questions and post pics. Before you know it you'll have 9k posts! :roflmao:

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

welcome Frank, Im Dan from Missouri.

I think you will find here while there can be some heated discussion, its civil and almost always never intentionally insulting or hateful. At least thats my impression in 3 years of being here. And you will find a lot of helpful advice..

Might I suggest AmmoSeek.com

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/303-british

But if you decide to reload the ammo you shoot , make sure you buy brass cartridges with Boxer primer pockets.

A starter set of reloading dies are around $20 https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-30 ... e+303+dies

complete starter reloading set up is $116 amazon prime https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-50 ... oading+kit

Then powder and bullets and primer for a couple hundred rounds will probably be less than $75.

Oh, and make sure you buy a good reloading book and follow the charts on loads. Best to go with the lightest loads and learn from there. Its not rocket science, just have to use a little common sense.. But it is fun and cost effective.

:clap: :clap:
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more
Attachments
lesclaypool (1).jpg
lesclaypool (1).jpg (24.69 KiB) Viewed 2949 times

FrankMo wrote:I drove over to Huntingtons ans saw all the mounted animals. I got a 1975 Hornady reloading handbook for $1 in the bargin bin. It has my bullet, so I will read about it. The private messages don't work here.

FrankMo

Lots of online sources for reloading too. Besides here, [url]http://castboolits.gunloads.com/[url/]
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Make some more posts and the messages will work. Tell us what kind of Enfield you have. You look on that metal band that wraps around the narrow part of the buttstock. There will be writings there. Say what they are, and maybe we can tell you something about your rifle beyond "ammo is expensive." Yeah, it is. But you're right to pursue reloading. It's neat you got an old book cheap. The new ones run maybe thirty bucks. Good score. Maybe we can meet up and I can confuse you further about the equipment you need for reloading.

The guys at Huntington's are very smart cats. Ask them questions. If you're on a tight budget--who isn't?--you may want to start hitting gun shows to look for used equipment. I don't think I have bought anything new as far as equipment goes. All used, most at gun shows, some up in Redding at the Olde West gun store. Neat store and neat people there.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack