Rootin' Tootin' Tejas Here Y'all

Wow. Here I thought I was the last of the 1960s paper punching liberals wandering in the wilderness of the 2017 madness of the current NRA and shoot yourself in the foot gun toters. Nowadays if you haul out an Anschutz .22 1813 Super Match, the bullet spraying gunners at the range turn up their noses at you in disdain. Sorry folks, all I own are classic 30+ year old .22 paper punchers.
  • 1986 Anschutz 1813 Super Match
  • 1987 Anschutz Exemplar (a 10" barrel bolt action pistol gets today's gunners laughingly nuts)
  • 1964 S&W Model 17 K-22 (Target config - 6" barrel)
  • 1962 Remington 521-T (learned paper punching on this one)
  • 1956 Colt Woodsman Sport (Series 3 - 6" barrel)
Here are my old granny paper punching Annies iron sights and all :lol: :

Happy to have found some kindred spirits to communicate with on the web.

Cheers! :beer2:

Re: Rootin' Tootin' Tejas Here Y'all

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I'm still trying to find a decent range in the San Antonio area to take the munchkins (grandkids) to get them going with 50' paper punching without costing me and arm and a leg.

Whatever happened to all the National Guard armories where you could shoot on nice indoor ranges for peanuts?

Gone with the budgetary wind I guess.

Thanks again and happy to be here. :geek:

Tere wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I'm still trying to find a decent range in the San Antonio area to take the munchkins (grandkids) to get them going with 50' paper punching without costing me and arm and a leg.

Whatever happened to all the National Guard armories where you could shoot on nice indoor ranges for peanuts?

Greetings from just up I35.

If you’re interested/available, we’re having a meetup/range day on Nov 18.

http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... 45&t=45667
LGC Texas - Vice President

Wait, what? That was a thing civilians could do?

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas LTC Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22

Catalyst wrote:

Disappeared like most municipal ranges.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Yo TEXAS! Glad to have you here. I lived in San A. for a year or so, but that was before my latest flare-up of gun interest, so I don't know any shooting spots to recommend.

Those are some mighty fine precision instruments you have there. Do you use off-the-shelf ammunition, or do you go high-end?
Reunite Pangea!

Another :welcome: from the Houston area. You've got great taste in .22s. Come join us in Lockhart on the 18th.
I dearly love the state of Texas, but I consider that a harmless perversion on my part, and discuss it only with consenting adults. --Molly Ivins

if they give you lined paper, write sideways.--Juan Ramon Jimenez

Catalyst wrote:

For sure, back in the '60s the local NG armories would let shooting teams (mostly teenagers) shoot on their ranges when the NG wasn't using them. When I was in college, the ROTC folks had a nice indoor range. I worked a deal with the US Army where I taught (NRA instructor) the ROTCers which direction to point the rifle (Remington 40Xs) in trade for all the ammunition I could shoot (courtesy of the Army). That was back in the day when I was shooting international collegiate competition. Those were the days. :D

AZAndy wrote:Yo TEXAS! Glad to have you here. I lived in San A. for a year or so, but that was before my latest flare-up of gun interest, so I don't know any shooting spots to recommend.

Those are some mighty fine precision instruments you have there. Do you use off-the-shelf ammunition, or do you go high-end?
Thanks! Trying to find match grade ammo is tough in stores, so I end up ordering online. I've had good luck with Federal Premium Gold Medal Target, 40 grain, 1200fps

Tere wrote:
Catalyst wrote:

For sure, back in the '60s the local NG armories would let shooting teams (mostly teenagers) shoot on their ranges when the NG wasn't using them. When I was in college, the ROTC folks had a nice indoor range. I worked a deal with the US Army where I taught (NRA instructor) the ROTCers which direction to point the rifle (Remington 40Xs) in trade for all the ammunition I could shoot (courtesy of the Army). That was back in the day when I was shooting international collegiate competition. Those were the days. :D
It appears i was born in the wrong era. Of course not sure being Hispanic would have hindered taking advantage of these types of opportunities.

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas LTC Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22

Tere wrote:This is my fun plinker (and rapid fire target pistol) - 1956 Colt Woodsman Sport Series 3 - first designed by Browning for Colt around 1915. This one is 99% bluing and no battle scars - great for a 60+ year old firearm. The grandkids love this one for fun shooting.

That'd be a birth year gun for me. Someday I'll have to track one down. I don't see many Woodsmans... Woodsmen?... around nowadays, that one certainly has pizazz.
Reunite Pangea!

AZAndy wrote:
Tere wrote:This is my fun plinker (and rapid fire target pistol) - 1956 Colt Woodsman Sport Series 3 - first designed by Browning for Colt around 1915. This one is 99% bluing and no battle scars - great for a 60+ year old firearm. The grandkids love this one for fun shooting.

That'd be a birth year gun for me. Someday I'll have to track one down. I don't see many Woodsmans... Woodsmen?... around nowadays, that one certainly has pizazz.
Thanks. They're very well made and once you shoot it, you will fall in love with it. The Match models can get very expensive, but you can pick up a nice Sport model if you search around. Both the Match and Sport models have adjustable rear sights. Colt quit making the Woodsman in 1977. Like the Colt 1911 it's an iconic Colt, but not as well known.

Try Bexar Community Range, it's kid friendly but I'm not sure how much they charge for kids.

https://www.facebook.com/Bexar-Communit ... 341800361/

There's also the South Texas Marksmanship Center at Blackhawk Range - family membership is $50/year, you might want to talk to them about your grandkids being included http://southtexasshooting.org/index.html

spara wrote:

Try Bexar Community Range, it's kid friendly but I'm not sure how much they charge for kids.

https://www.facebook.com/Bexar-Communit ... 341800361/

There's also the South Texas Marksmanship Center at Blackhawk Range - family membership is $50/year, you might want to talk to them about your grandkids being included http://southtexasshooting.org/index.html
Those are two awesome leads, and Blackhawk actually has a competition 50' setup for 3-position smallbore competition shooting for kids. Thanks so much for your help.