NoEyeDeer introduction

Hello,

I typically avoid postings. I have decided to register here to submit a solution for school security.

I am like minded of this membership. The wife has the Prius V. I became active in shooting sports about 10 years ago. I live in NE Florida and am an associate member at the FOP 113 lodge in St. Augustine. I can be found there most Sunday mornings in a older brown Toyota minivan from 7:30 to about 10.

Regarding the screen name:

Q: What do you call a deer with no eyes?
A: I have no idea(r)

Q: What do you call a deer with no eyes and no legs?
A: Still no idea(r)

Jerry

Re: NoEyeDeer introduction

methodmissing wrote:Welcome from Chicago!

What sports do you shoot?
Thank you all for the welcome. To answer the question, none I guess.... not even the poor ones.

I am partial to 3rd gen DOA S&W's. I have been very fortunate to have an excellent mentor and try to introduce others in return for the help I have received.

I'm a disappointed Bernie supporter that (to the dismay of my wife) voted for Jill.

:welcome: from the desert. Great screen-name. I'm glad to see another goofy jokester.

Lurker!!! :roflmao:

Hey, BTW, is your Toyota Van the older style Mystery Mobile style (aka toaster) minivan? Or the (godawful, refuse to die) Previa?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee,

It's a Sienna. I use to run Hondas but switched over to Toyotas as the wife and kids wore them out. I really like the Venzas my two kids have now. I was fortunate to find the van with 150k on the clock from someone who did dealer maintenance and kept it garaged. I am anal about car maintenance. The kids say my tombstone will read "Did you check the oil?".

I have been to Bisbee, I have a brother in Sierra Vista.

Ah! Is your brother retired military per chance?

Our region is a shooter's heaven. And it's a dry heat, unlike you unfortunate souls in the South.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

He is retired govt employee that worked for the Army. He picked up some muskets over in the Stans and gave me a couple when he got back. I got them working and shot them for a few years. 1863 Enfield that are common mix of parts from India. No real monetary value to those.

I shot them for a few years and eventually sold them. I still have a box of 4 wing german caps. Long story but and old friend from work had a large black powder collection and helped me.

Most fun was shooting skeet with BP. One was an 11 gauge smooth bore.

civil war reenactors will buy those 53 enfields, even though they're probably smoothbores the brits dumped on indian native troops while they upgraded to martini-henrys. keep the savages one generation behind, y'know. worked fine until ww2. i remember five or so years ago there was a glut of them, people were buying them just so they could say they had an original. yeah, i shoot a little black powder.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I took them to a well known civil war collector here. At the time atlanta cutlery had all you could want for $150, as you said about 5 years ago. Olustee is the big re-enactors gathering here.

PITA to clean. Determined that black powder meant what you had all over your hands when you got done. Used a slightly smaller ball patched up or shell shot with cornmeal between the powder and the patch.

i was, in fact, a civil war reenactor in those days. i rose through the ranks to second sgt which while quite an honor was not simply ornamental. it was my job (along with the 1st sgt) to keep the line straight, to keep everyone trained and safe, and to babysit new guys. i always wanted to do olustee, but we never made it that far south. i gave it up a couple of years ago, due to becoming too long in the tooth. even back in the day, they would cashier guys my age. it wasn't that i couldn't keep up, quite the contrary, but the price i paid later for staying in front of a bunch of 20 and 30 and 40 year old became too much, and my health caught up with me. but i had quite a good time, learned a great deal over those 18 or 20 years, and have some black powder pieces to show for it. black powder always struck me as very easy to clean, all it takes is water(preferably hot), time, patches and that rarest of commodities, elbow grease.
i ran with the 46th tennessee volunteer infantry(CSA), aka 2nd tennessee infantry, US, and before that the 34th georgia infantry out of cherokee county.

The problem I had with cleaning wasn't the elbow grease but stopping the rust afterwards. I've heard of using hydrogen peroxide instead of water. Don't know if that would produce less rust or not. Simple Green and hot water was the suggestion from my BP mentor.

Even with taking out the lock, water would stll get onto the stock as i didn't have a way to remove the barrel. Waiting several days for the wood to dry didn't seem to matter. I was always fighting rust and tried everything from bore butter to bomb rack lubricant (mil WD40 equivalent).

peroxide? meh.
dry is the enemy of rust. i don't have much experience with the enfield, the vast majority of mine was a functionally identical euroarms springfield and an armisport sharps infantry rifle. the '61 springfield has a cleanout screw, the '63 and enfield do not. HOT water dissolves the powder residue better and dries very quickly. i preferred a bore brush, but a jag will work. i usually did this with a coffee pot next to a camp fire, the way our ancestors did it. they took pride in having shiny clean weapons, and their lives depended on it. pour water into the muzzle until the barrel is full and water runs out the nipple. if it doesnt, you've got another problem, unscrew the nipple and pick it, and the passage underneath, clean. dump it out, then repeat until it runs clean. after a hot fight, it may take the entire pot. hold the piece nipple down, muzzle up so you're not slopping water between the barrel and the forearm. there's no reason whatsoever to get water under the lock. use patches to get it dry. blow through the muzzle to get all the water out from behind the nipple, then oil a patch and run it up and down the barrel a couple of times to lightly oil the bore. hang the piece muzzle-down for an hour. i could show you in less time than it takes to explain.

yes, i was the drill instructor. i never had to shout at anyone (it was a voluntary association after all) but if necessary i'd spend an hour or more with a recruit until he (or she) got it right. we had one guy who had a heart as big as all outdoors and wanted to learn, but he was slow. i spent many many hours with him working on drill, manual of arms, rifle maintenance, you name it, and he patiently put up with it and eventually got it. he's a good soldier. i miss you, woodchuck.