New gun owner in Ohio

Hey guys. First time gun owner here from south Dayton, Ohio.

I shot some trap in high school via 4-H, and then didn’t shoot at all for the next decade. Took an intro to handgun safety course a couple years ago sponsored by my work (they explicitly allow CCW at work). A few weeks ago, I suddenly got the itch to try some handguns out, rented from the range a few times, did some research, and settled on the Springfield XD9 mod 2 Tactical. Ordered online and am waiting for it to arrive at the FFL.

I used to be a diehard conservative in all things, but college and grad school tempered me a lot, so I can best be described as a firm centrist, with an ever so slight lean to the right. In the wake of past events, my social media feeds are clogged with extreme polarized views, and I felt uncomfortable joining the NRA even just for the education and support, as I’m largely apolitical.

It’s made more awkward as I am not interested in CCW and am very uncomfortable with open carry, so most of the handgun info I find is basically for that. I’m more interested in the sporting aspect of handguns.

So if anyone has ideas on those sorts of things, let me know! This group seems to be a decent fit for what’s im looking for so far, and I hope to be active and interact with you guys. Thanks for being a thing!

Re: New gun owner in Ohio

Welcome from Lexington KY.
There are lots of smart people here that can help you out. Just start reading posts and asking questions, even the dumb questions. We have a been beginners at some point.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

:welcome: Most people are attracted to shooting as a sport. CCW is a separate issue and not every gun owner believes in CCW. You have an unusual employer, most employers don't allow CCW because of the liability. Have fun with your new pistol!
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:16 pm :welcome: Most people are attracted to shooting as a sport. CCW is a separate issue and not every gun owner believes in CCW. You have an unusual employer, most employers don't allow CCW because of the liability. Have fun with your new pistol!
The company owner is an old Texan ex-Marine billionaire, it makes sense, trust me. :mrgreen:

I have a former roommate I haven’t seen in a while who is an active cop; he said a couple years ago that he wanted to take me and another guy shooting sometime, so here’s my opportunity.