Hello from Washington (State)

New member and new gun owner here outside of Seattle, WA. Originally from Sacramento, CA.

I've always been a gun enthusiast but never prioritized purchasing since I was young and poor and the climate in CA is so restrictive. I moved with my wife and kids to Seattle a couple years ago and was surprised to find that while it had the political climate that I favor (and prosperity that comes with it) it also HAD a very pro 2A lean.

Then the 2018 midterms happened and I-1639 passed by a surpassingly large margin.

Now here I am, unsure of what my future ownership rights will look like but pretty sure they'll end up being a lot like they were in CA. The night 1639 passed, I looked at my wife and told her I was going to spend a couple thousand while I still can and to my surprise, was met with total approval.

We're awaiting delivery of a couple pistols, an AR, and 3 finished stripped lowers (I have no desire to own "ghost guns" and likewise, no desire to finish the milling). I'll continue to stockpile, as budget permits, until the day I'm no longer able to. Which I fear is quickly approaching. Hence the volume of the initial purchase.

In my search for other like-minded liberals, I've found you fine folks to commiserate with. Hopefully (but not likely), we'll be having a very different conversation in 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by motoyuki85 on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Hello from Washington (State)

Howdy from Ballard!

What kind of pistols? I'm betting something with greater than 10-shot mags? We'll see how long those are allowed. :crazy:

My favorite range is Issaquah Sportsman's Club. It's low-tech, outdoors, and cheap to shoot there if you buy an annual membership and go more than a few times. Most of the RSOs are friendly; sometimes too friendly if they want to chat while you're busy trying to get through a bunch of targets!

When it's really pouring I'll usually go to West Coast Armory. My spousal critter and I went to Wade's a while ago on a Saturday since they had the Czs we wanted to try, and found we should have gone on Sunday when she'd have got in free. I still prefer WCA (better lighting, better bays, and we usually each get our own lane), but free is nice and Wade's is OK.

We REALLY need to put together an LGC range day here. I've been saying that for a long time and failing to help organize it...

:welcome:
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Howdy and :welcome:

Thanks for the nice into. 👍🏼

Are you Nikkei? Just wondering your screen name.

I’m sure you consider yourself lucky for firearms freedom having moved from CA. Like many ex-Californian enthusiasts, there is likely something similar to a kind of residual reflexive fear one has from having been abused for years. But you’re safe now.

Glad you found us. Hope to hear more about your growing collection.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Buck13 wrote:Howdy from Ballard!

What kind of pistols? I'm betting something with greater than 10-shot mags? We'll see how long those are allowed. :crazy:

My favorite range is Issaquah Sportsman's Club. It's low-tech, outdoors, and cheap to shoot there if you buy an annual membership and go more than a few times. Most of the RSOs are friendly; sometimes too friendly if they want to chat while you're busy trying to get through a bunch of targets!

When it's really pouring I'll usually go to West Coast Armory. My spousal critter and I went to Wade's a while ago on a Saturday since they had the Czs we wanted to try, and found we should have gone on Sunday when she'd have got in free. I still prefer WCA (better lighting, better bays, and we usually each get our own lane), but free is nice and Wade's is OK.

We REALLY need to put together an LGC range day here. I've been saying that for a long time and failing to help organize it...

:welcome:
Glock G19x for myself and S&W M&P 2.0 9mm for my wife. And yes, both can and will immediately go well beyond 10. Like I said, stocking up now, while I still can. They're not taking them once I have em.

I've heard good things about ISC. We're in Maple Valley, so it has the added benefit of being relatively close. So far, we've only been to Champion Arms in Tukwila (I think?) and Federal Way Discount Guns. Champion Arms seemed like it may be a little sketchy. I didn't feel confident that the stall dividers were well armored. Maybe they are, but didn't seem so. We really liked FWDG. Their lanes only go out to 47ft though, so we'll be looking for another place with longer lanes to have the versatility to shoot rifles too. We'll definitely check out ISC and WCA. I want try a bunch of ranges before we decide where to join annually.

I'm up for a meet. Maybe in the spring, when everyone comes out of hibernation? Probably have a better turnout then.

Bisbee wrote:Howdy and :welcome:

Thanks for the nice into.

Are you Nikkei? Just wondering your screen name.

I’m sure you consider yourself lucky for firearms freedom having moved from CA. Like many ex-Californian enthusiasts, there is likely something similar to a kind of residual reflexive fear one has from having been abused for years. But you’re safe now.

Glad you found us. Hope to hear more about your growing collection.
I am Nikkei. Third generation - "Sansei". Well, half. I'm half Oki/European mutt too.

I am lucky to have been so heavily restricted and having such freedom now. Watching the people of my new home turn into hysterical gun grabbers has given me flashbacks to harder times though. I can't unsee that and I'll now be periodically and regularly adding to my collection until I'm no longer allowed to or I no longer have the financial means. I'm trying to amass options while sticking to 2, maybe 3 rounds. Caliber sprawl will be the death of me. Buy it cheap and stack it deep, right?!

I'm glad to be here. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I dive into my first build (starting later this week) and eventually, my first full custom.

Bisbee wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:06 pm Like many ex-Californian enthusiasts, there is likely something similar to a kind of residual reflexive fear one has from having been abused for years. But you’re safe now.
Umm, did you not hear about I-1639? It passed 60-40, the same blow-out ratio as the much more limited (but still devilish in the details) I-594 a couple of years ago. Apparently ANY gun control initiative that makes it to the ballot in WA will pass, and if some billionaire pays enough signature gatherers, seemingly anything could make it on the ballot. I'm not at all sure that an initiative banning the sale of anything except bolt-action rifles wouldn't succeed.

Not at all safe, here. Too many hoplophobes moving in from California. ;)
Last edited by Buck13 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

featureless wrote:I sometimes dream of leaving California but family, friends and roots will likely keep me here. Welcome to the club. You have a sound strategy!
Do it. If you stay on or near the the west coast, flights are cheap and the added distance keeps you out of family drama by default. All my family is still in NorCal and it's awesome! I do have the added benefit of working in an industry that allows me to move most places without economic concerns though (IT). I'm not sure what your line of work is, but that should obviously be a factor and if it's stronger in CA than anywhere else, will then I can totally understand that too.

motoyuki85 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:56 pm I've heard good things about ISC. We're in Maple Valley, so it has the added benefit of being relatively close. So far, we've only been to Champion Arms in Tukwila (I think?) and Federal Way Discount Guns. Champion Arms seemed like it may be a little sketchy. I didn't feel confident that the stall dividers were well armored. Maybe they are, but didn't seem so. We really liked FWDG.
Cool. I've never been to FWDG. Not super-convenient to me, but I could check it out some day. How is the ventilation? I've been to Champion a few times and that was my main complaint there: their ventilation isn't as good as WCA or Wade's, IIRC. Better than the smoke trap in Tacoma, though!

ISC doesn't have partitions, except for hardware cloth on the pistol line to (mostly) deflect flying brass. Wear tight collars and a brimmed hat over your eyes, since you'll probably still get hit by some cases if the person to your left has a bottom-feeder. However, the lack of physical barriers doesn't bother me much. Since they have no rentals, there aren't any groups of young-uns, foreign tourists, or other noobs who've never even seen a gun IRL before. Safety really should rely on muzzle discipline and the Four Rules, and it's pretty good there. That I can remember, I've never been flagrantly swept by someone. I'm sure it happens, probably even while I was there, but I haven't seen it.

The last time we were at WCA, there were two lanes being shared by about five guys in their mid-twenties whooping and hollering and taking video as they shot progressively-louder rental guns at silhouette targets from 3 to 5 yards. The RSO was keeping a pretty close eye on them, and I think he doubled the knowledge of target shooting technique of the *most experienced* member of that group with about 90 seconds of advice. I was definitely glad to have steel booth partitions there!

Just FYI, ISC doesn't allow any kind of human-looking target, even the abstract type that just have a square head on a rectangular body, although with those they will let you fold the "head" down out of sight and staple the rectangle to the target backer. So, don't show up with a stack of "fun" zombie or Osama bin Laden targets. If you wanted to do a modified "Mozambique drill," you could just put one 8" or smaller bullseye slightly above another 8" bullseye and shoot one at the lower then one at the upper, and that would be allowed. More than two rounds rapid-fire is discouraged, although I've found that to be loosely enforced if you are familiar to the RSO. Or maybe I'm just so old and slow that my "rapid fire" isn't even recognized as such! :geek:
I'm up for a meet. Maybe in the spring, when everyone comes out of hibernation? Probably have a better turnout then.
You'll get used to the weather eventually. :lol: I moved here from Colorado (after a stop of just a couple of years in San Francisco) and my adjustment is from the opposite perspective: I still laugh at people who say 46° F is "cold." It's NEVER really winter in Seattle, but you can drive to winter in under an hour. One snowfall does not a winter make: I've been snowed on in Denver in mid-September and early June! Of course, it was around 80 two days before and three days after those events.

I *do* find the winters here dim (more than a couple of days in a row without bright sunshine is pretty rare in Denver), but luckily I'm not too affected by SAD.

motoyuki85 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:23 am
featureless wrote:I sometimes dream of leaving California but family, friends and roots will likely keep me here. Welcome to the club. You have a sound strategy!
Do it. If you stay on or near the the west coast, flights are cheap and the added distance keeps you out of family drama by default. All my family is still in NorCal and it's awesome! I do have the added benefit of working in an industry that allows me to move most places without economic concerns though (IT). I'm not sure what your line of work is, but that should obviously be a factor and if it's stronger in CA than anywhere else, will then I can totally understand that too.

My wife isn't interested, so.... :lol:

“Safe” is a state of mind. IMHO.

Anyway, I believe good policy is driven by passionate and intelligent people. It’s good to have a sense of stability in politics.

Little known is the growing number of us Asians who get into firearms. In a sense guns really suits Asian-male sensibilities, being both highly technical and skills oriented things. Like most stuff Asians are into, they are usually kinda low key about their gun collection.

BTW, being Happa automatically mean’s you’re Asian and not half-white. We didn’t make up this rule...
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote:“Safe” is a state of mind. IMHO.

Anyway, I believe good policy is driven by passionate and intelligent people. It’s good to have a sense of stability in politics.

Little known is the growing number of us Asians who get into firearms. In a sense guns really suits Asian-male sensibilities, being both highly technical and skills oriented things. Like most stuff Asians are into, they are usually kinda low key about their gun collection.

BTW, being Happa automatically mean’s you’re Asian and not half-white. We didn’t make up this rule...
Except when in the presence of full blooded folk. Then they get pissed that we have all the superficial traits that they wish they had, like eyelid folds, and in their eyes that means we're white.

And yes firearms fit well with the Asian mindset. Highly technical and methodical. Very logic driven. I like to build. Whether it's technical solutions as a systems engineer, gaming computers, car audio systems, board level electronics, mech mod vapes, mechanical keyboard, or weapons...I just want to build.

Damn, I have too many hobbies.

Buck13 wrote:Cool. I've never been to FWDG. Not super-convenient to me, but I could check it out some day. How is the ventilation? I've been to Champion a few times and that was my main complaint there: their ventilation isn't as good as WCA or Wade's, IIRC. Better than the smoke trap in Tacoma, though!
FWDG has good ventilation. They seemed to have a high volume of large group renters though. My wife and I included, at least on the day we were there. When we go back though, it'll be to pick up the weapons we purchased. Our purpose on that day was to fire a lot of rounds from a large variety of 9mm pistols to decide on what we'd purchase. And we did. 400 rounds in total through like 10 weapons. But for regular visits as owners seeking proficiency, I'd prefer a range with less novice renters or at least more lanes to get some separation from the noobs.

I toured WCA tonight and was thoroughly impressed. It's massive and incredibly clean. Honestly, if you like it (and I can see why you would) I wouldn't bother making the trip down to FWDG unless you have another reason to be there.

I've been looking into ISC too and I'm thoroughly intrigued. Looks like a really cool place. Once the 15 Sport II and PSA kit show (yeah, I've been bit by the AR bug - I'm already building out one of the lowers), we'll probably go pay the day use fee and do some sighting and distance accuracy testing there. If I'm still impressed at that point, the annual membership is so cheap that we'll probably just join rather than paying another day fee the next time. Do they allow steel cased bimetal there? 223 is expensive to shoot so I couldn't help but buy 1000 rounds of wolf polyformance.

You'll get used to the weather eventually. :lol: I moved here from Colorado (after a stop of just a couple of years in San Francisco) and my adjustment is from the opposite perspective: I still laugh at people who say 46° F is "cold." It's NEVER really winter in Seattle, but you can drive to winter in under an hour. One snowfall does not a winter make: I've been snowed on in Denver in mid-September and early June! Of course, it was around 80 two days before and three days after those events.

I *do* find the winters here dim (more than a couple of days in a row without bright sunshine is pretty rare in Denver), but luckily I'm not too affected by SAD.
I actually really enjoy the weather here. I've noticed that the natives complain about it though, like it hasn't always been this way or something. I'm like "what? You actually want to see the sun?"

That flaming ball in the sky really kills my spirit.

motoyuki85 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:51 pm I toured WCA tonight and was thoroughly impressed. It's massive and incredibly clean. Honestly, if you like it (and I can see why you would) I wouldn't bother making the trip down to FWDG unless you have another reason to be there.
I should call them and ask about their rental selection. Might be worth a trip if they have something interesting that I haven't been able to play with elsewhere.
I've been looking into ISC too and I'm thoroughly intrigued. Looks like a really cool place. Once the 15 Sport II and PSA kit show (yeah, I've been bit by the AR bug - I'm already building out one of the lowers), we'll probably go pay the day use fee and do some sighting and distance accuracy testing there. If I'm still impressed at that point, the annual membership is so cheap that we'll probably just join rather than paying another day fee the next time. Do they allow steel cased bimetal there? 223 is expensive to shoot so I couldn't help but buy 1000 rounds of wolf polyformance.
I don't think there are any ammo restrictions. Maybe tracers are banned? Since they could cause a grass fire, that would make perfect sense. I'm 99% sure I've seen steel cases on the ground and the RSO wielding a magnetic collecting tool to police them up. I don't remember hearing anyone being told they have to stop shooting those, but I could easily have missed that. I've never bought steel cased stuff, so I wouldn't have been accosted by them, myself. Give them a call before you go to be sure, but I doubt it's a problem.
I actually really enjoy the weather here. I've noticed that the natives complain about it though, like it hasn't always been this way or something. I'm like "what? You actually want to see the sun?"

That flaming ball in the sky really kills my spirit.
That's deeply weird. You should fit in well here. We like weird.