Re: Hi from new member in Chicago

Welcome from the northside (Belmont/California).
If you haven’t already please join our local FB group. That seems to be where most of the action is happening these days. There are no local events planned until after the new year but most of us are always look for a reason to go to the range. Hit me up if you ever want to go shooting.
Brian Keasling
Vice President
LGC Illinois Chapter

Mrsekretx wrote:Welcome from the northside (Belmont/California).
If you haven’t already please join our local FB group. That seems to be where most of the action is happening these days. There are no local events planned until after the new year but most of us are always look for a reason to go to the range. Hit me up if you ever want to go shooting.
Very cool. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

wpkato wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:22 am Hey, hello, I shoot SIG P320 series handguns (a subcompact and a compact) plus AR-15 carbine rifles (stored offsite since it's a no-no in Chicago)

You cannot have an AR-15 at home? Only handguns?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote:
wpkato wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:22 am Hey, hello, I shoot SIG P320 series handguns (a subcompact and a compact) plus AR-15 carbine rifles (stored offsite since it's a no-no in Chicago)

You cannot have an AR-15 at home? Only handguns?
Yes, "assault" weapons are banned in Chicago

High capacity magazines (>10 rounds) and ARs are legally defined as "assault weapons" and prohibited under Cook County Ordinance 13-O-32. It's a misdemeanor and not widely or vigorously enforced, but potential penalty for violation is up to 6 months incarceration and $10k fine. The courts have upheld these bans. I recommend ignoring the view of anyone who tells you the ordinance is void under the preemption clauses of the FOID Act or Concealed Carry Act.

To further clarify ... the Cook County ban applies to mag capacity rather than the number of cartridges in the magazine. In other words, carrying 10 rounds in a 15 round capacity magazine would constitute an ordinance violation.
Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor | NRA Certified Pistol & CCW Instructor | Firearms Legal Consultant & Expert Witness | Illinois Licensed Private Security Officer