Hello from New York

Hi! 40 years old. Born and raised in NYC now living in Amityville. (Yes very close to the house!) Firmly rooted Democrat. Real Liberal. I suppose that means a Dem with Libertarian leanings. Grew up with guns. Father was a Republican and an NRA member but was born in 1924 so .... of a different type. Used to skeet shoot with him in Southampton as a very little kid. I work in Conservative media actually. Am tired of listening to opinions based on nothing. That is non-experiential opinions. So I thought I’d shut up and get a permit and a gun and learn from the inside out. Have been very very against certain guns being so easy to purchase. But I want my opinions to be informed by my own experience. I am so tired of hearing the opinions—for example—of people about sexual assault victims and legitimacy when they have no idea what it is to be a victim or even know a victim. So, if I’m going to be annoyed by that I think it is my responsibility to open my mind and learn more about the things on which I have had opinions without experience. Hypocrisy is a plague that is dividing and conquering and I don’t want to be a part of it! Would love to hear from people here and also want advice of “my first pistol.” Don’t want anything more powerful. I will never hunt although I respect those who do it for the environment. I am an animal activist and rescuer and somewhat understand the pros and cons. I do not consider it a sport because sports typically have only willing participants. That’s the one area in which I feel the most closed-minded. Also hoping to learn firearms safety and proper use without giving money to an NRA supported organization, so if you have advice for that in NYC and surrounding area I would be grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Hello from New York

Welcome aboard!

First pistol? Hmm. Sounds like you aren't interested in anything fancy or powerful, so I'd say get a .22LR revolver. Ruger SP101 comes to mind, though I've never shot one so I can't talk about it from personal experience. Revolvers are easy to use and to clean, and .22LR ammunition is inexpensive, so you could afford to go to the range more often.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris said:

Ruger SP 101
And that is a great choice. But if your budget is limited, this 22 LR is a lot of fun and very reliable.

Heritage, Rough Rider, Revolver: Single Action, 22 LR, 4.75" Barrel, 9 Round, Case Hardened Finish.

Nothing like owning (and shooting) a cowboy gun ...

Welcome from Lexington KY
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

most people consider .22 inadequate for personal defense. same with .25acp. some people begin to not laugh and point if you shoot .32. if you use .38, 380 or 9mm the vast majority will smile and nod approvingly. ultimately it's about shot placement, which means practice, practice, practice. get something you dont mind, maybe even enjoy, shooting.
revolvers are limited in capacity(so are semiautos, but it's hard to get a revolver over 6 rounds), but tend to be mechanically simpler, arguably more reliable, less sensitive to variables like ammo and grip.
a small handgun will be easier to conceal and carry, but will limit your capacity and be more sensitive to recoil.
decide what you want it to do, or be prepared to eventually own several guns. not that that's necessarily a bad thing.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

If you want a handgun for personal defense at home, the first question is are you sure a handgun? They do not generally stop people like they do in the movies and they are MUCH harder to shoot well than rifles or shotguns are.

After that, if the answer is still a handgun, the next question is whether you are going to train with it regularly. Some guns are more complicated to operate (most semi autos) and require you to use all of the controls correctly in the correct order. If you're comitted to this kind of learning, then great. If you're going to get it, learn the basics, and put it in a drawer for the day we all hope never comes, then the right gun will be something different.

Welcome from NoVA!

My only advice on a 1st pistol is to take a safety class and familiarize yourself with NYS firearms law. Then go to the range and rent a bunch of handguns and see what you like.

You may wish to check to see if there is an LGC instructor nearby: https://theliberalgunclub.com/training/ ... directory/

Before getting a firearm for self defense, consider taking some basic steps to harden your house like installing good quality locks (such as Medeco or Mul-T-Lock), making sure doors are properly fitted in their frames and even think about 3M window films. Have lighting but nothing too bright (they cast harsh shadows) outdoors.

welcome. if I was stuck with ny's crazy 7 round capacity and I was going to depend on a handgun for self defense, I would probably go with a 686+, 629 or 625. None of those is a good first handgun.

Go to a rental range and shoot some handguns and see what you like. I would lean towards revolvers.

If you can find a range that lets you practice with them, I would probably lean towards shotgun for hd. 870dm might be a good fit.

Whatever you get, get training and practice.

My sd gun is the gun I shoot the most.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Marlene wrote:If you want a handgun for personal defense at home, the first question is are you sure a handgun? They do not generally stop people like they do in the movies and they are MUCH harder to shoot well than rifles or shotguns are.

After that, if the answer is still a handgun, the next question is whether you are going to train with it regularly. Some guns are more complicated to operate (most semi autos) and require you to use all of the controls correctly in the correct order. If you're comitted to this kind of learning, then great. If you're going to get it, learn the basics, and put it in a drawer for the day we all hope never comes, then the right gun will be something different.
Ultimately I’d like to be training regularly. It’s my understanding that it’s very difficult to hit a moving target so I don’t see much of a point in having a gun for self defense if I wasn’t able to actually protect myself with it. And, as someone who has reached a few major goals in her life, I assume proficiency means discipline and dedication. I also have a feeling that in time I will enjoy it. I’m not averse to ultimately owning a rifle or shotgun. I think at some point I’d enjoy skeet shooting for instance (seems like an incredible challenge), but I do want my first gun to be a handgun for home with practice every month or so. I have no idea, if I’m honest, how I will feel about it all so ... you know ... I’m a recovered alcoholic it’s always a good idea for me to go slow with big decisions. Too often one is not enough! Hahahaha. In every way I try not to live with excess these days. Thanks Marlene, for all your thoughtful questions.

DavidMS wrote:Welcome from NoVA!

My only advice on a 1st pistol is to take a safety class and familiarize yourself with NYS firearms law. Then go to the range and rent a bunch of handguns and see what you like.

You may wish to check to see if there is an LGC instructor nearby: https://theliberalgunclub.com/training/ ... directory/

Before getting a firearm for self defense, consider taking some basic steps to harden your house like installing good quality locks (such as Medeco or Mul-T-Lock), making sure doors are properly fitted in their frames and even think about 3M window films. Have lighting but nothing too bright (they cast harsh shadows) outdoors.
Amazing thank you!!! I’ve got the locks and security cameras. Never knew about lights! I did check out the site and have sent an email. Will follow all suggestions!!! Thank you.

senorgrand wrote:welcome. if I was stuck with ny's crazy 7 round capacity and I was going to depend on a handgun for self defense, I would probably go with a 686+, 629 or 625. None of those is a good first handgun.

Go to a rental range and shoot some handguns and see what you like. I would lean towards revolvers.

If you can find a range that lets you practice with them, I would probably lean towards shotgun for hd. 870dm might be a good fit.

At the moment I’m content with 7!
we can’t carry in the city and at home I’m only ever home...if I need more than 7 I’ll need a lot more help. Will only be a bummer at a range I imagine. Imagine being key! I have little idea at this point.

senorgrand wrote:welcome. if I was stuck with ny's crazy 7 round capacity and I was going to depend on a handgun for self defense, I would probably go with a 686+, 629 or 625. None of those is a good first handgun.

For things like weight and difficulty, I’m very “fit” so I’m .... quite strong
if that matters?