New Member in Hood River, OR

Hey Everybody,
I recently relocated to Hood River, OR from Atlanta, GA. I'm loving it here so far. I am relatively new to shooting sports. I didn't grow up with guns, but found an interest a few years ago.

I am having trouble finding an outdoor range in the area that isn't a private club (which requires a sponsorship from an existing member). If anyone has a line on a range in the area I'd greatly appreciate it. Happy 2020!

Re: New Member in Hood River, OR

Welcome, I'm about 60 miles west of you (north side of river); I haven't tried it but this is a possibility for you:
http://www.klickitatcounty.org/1151/Fir ... g-Facility

The length of the range is 100 yards. Target for rifles can be placed at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards; targets for pistols at 5, 10, and 25 yards. The cost is $15 for two hours. Located at 240 U.S. Highway 197, in Dallesport. WA maybe 25 to 35 miles for you, depending on where you are in Hood River. Its opened to the public.

This place is closer; but still across the river:
https://www.mtadamsfishgame.com/
It requires membership, but its only $100.00 the first year an I think 75 to renew. I'd heard good things about it in the past. I have never checked it out myself, only because driving Hwy 14 in Wa is a windy, hilly, two lane road with a lot of truck traffic, and avoiding it totally would add about 25 miles on the trip.

Other than that you can always hope to make friends with a local who might know a good spot on the west side of Mt. Hood
Here's a link to a USDA page
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mthood/r ... rdb5422894
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

Howdy and :welcome: from Corvallis, OR!

:wave:

We have a vibrant Oregon LGC Chapter and have regular range days and meetings. If you are a dues-paying member, we also have a closed FaceBook page you may want to check out- Liberal Gun Club: Oregon. I'm the Oregon Chapter Secretary and our Prez will be along shortly. :)

We're glad you're here!
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

:welcome:
Beautiful town you live in now. Love the breweries there. Into parasailing?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

geno wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:27 pm Welcome, I'm about 60 miles west of you (north side of river); I haven't tried it but this is a possibility for you:
http://www.klickitatcounty.org/1151/Fir ... g-Facility

It requires membership, but its only $100.00 the first year an I think 75 to renew. I'd heard good things about it in the past. I have never checked it out myself, only because driving Hwy 14 in Wa is a windy, hilly, two lane road with a lot of truck traffic, and avoiding it totally would add about 25 miles on the trip.
Hi Geno,
Thanks for all the great info. I will definitely check out KCFTF. That's not too far from me. I'd love to give Mt. Adams Fish and Game a try. I just need to find a member. Which, the way everything is so word of mouth out here, you're always one conversation away from finding someone.

NathanLamb wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:55 am
K9s wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:38 pm Welcome!

Why'd you leave the ATL?

I prefer all the states in the Pacific Time Zone. I needed to get back to the mountains.
Hi from NJ!

I have family in Atlanta and generally like it there very much (except for the drivers who make NJ, NY, CT, and PA lunatics look like fuddy-duddies!). But I "parked" our eldest in Eugene over the summer (to intern there) and thought the PNW was spectacular! So did he!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

NathanLamb wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:55 am
K9s wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:38 pm Welcome!

Why'd you leave the ATL?

I prefer all the states in the Pacific Time Zone. I needed to get back to the mountains.
I don't blame you. Mountains are nice.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

NathanLamb wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:05 am
geno wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:27 pm

It requires membership, but its only $100.00 the first year an I think 75 to renew.
Hi Geno,
Thanks for all the great info. I will definitely check out KCFTF. That's not too far from me. I'd love to give Mt. Adams Fish and Game a try. I just need to find a member. Which, the way everything is so word of mouth out here, you're always one conversation away from finding someone.
Nathan, I remembered that you needed a member to sponsor you after I posted; but on their contact page they seem fairly open. If I were closer I'd call and ask for a tour, and hope that I got a friendly range officer or member to give it; that sponsorship might be more a loose rule than a strict formality.
Last edited by geno on Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

Hi there - I'm a member at Mount Adam's fish and Game -- are you still looking for a local club? I see this post is over a year old (I just joined the forum and searched for other locals).

Given it is corona now, new memberships and the indoor range are closed -- but we can always allows guests to come with a member and get aquainted.

The members I've met so far are all really nice people, non political types... just want to have fun.