Emergency Management - Cash on Hand

Here's a question: In many conceivable cases, the banking system may be unavailable and yet merchants may still be selling. This is not a complete breakdown of society but could be the result of, for example, a major solar flare and coronal mass ejection that disrupts communications systems. So, how much cash do you keep on hand and in what denominations?

(I guess that's two questions.)

I'll start, I keep about $500, mostly in fives and twenties - no Benjamins. I subscribe to old guidance to keep the cash in $5 bills since change may not be available so the most you would lose on any purchase would be $4.99. This makes some sense to me.

Re: Emergency Management - Cash on Hand

Living in a hurricane zone we always have a hurricane fund which fluctuates between about $800 and $1500 - it's is also our general petty cash fund. I try to keep the bills as small as possible. I think I have at least $50 in ones. I basically just empty the cash out of my wallet into it periodically, usually when I sell something or return something purchased on my debit card and they give me cash back. Those are generally the only times I ever have cash.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

I haven't seen a dollar bill for a few years now. I guess in this way we're unprepared. Need to re-adjust. Yes cash seems a valuable resource in a crisis situation, like if you need to fill a propane tank.
Living check to check seems dreary eh? Could be worse...

I guess if I spent less money on shit I don't need, I'd have a stash for emergencies, or drugs!

So tell me, how do you save and keep it where it belongs?
Keep Bow Tight ~Sitting Bull
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/90682-i ... ooks-ahead

I live in an area that weather can and does knock out power every few years. We usually just run to ATM when ever an advisory is issued. I usually have several hundred in cash in my pocket at all times. I call it my mad money. But I usually pay temp labor and buy stuff from desperate sellers with my mad money.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Wolverines!
"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln

I have watched a LOT of videos where people talk about 'Urban Get Home Bags'.

They're full of primarily survival gear, because, of course, you're going to make camp in the middle of a city. :sarcasm:

In an urban setting, cash is the ultimate multitool, and can solve just about any problem.

With that said, I don't carry nearly enough. That's probably a combination of being poor and poor money management habits on my part.

LynnLeFey wrote:I have watched a LOT of videos where people talk about 'Urban Get Home Bags'.

They're full of primarily survival gear, because, of course, you're going to make camp in the middle of a city. :sarcasm:

In an urban setting, cash is the ultimate multitool, and can solve just about any problem.

With that said, I don't carry nearly enough. That's probably a combination of being poor and poor money management habits on my part.
I've started accumulating a modest stack of $20s in my handgun safe. The idea is to have it for disasters, etc., where banks, ATMs, etc., might be disrupted for a time.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

This. A thousand times this.

Back in the nineteen hundred and seventies, my grandparents made several stashes of odd amounts of cash around the house. This was in small part survival preparedness (gas rationing and the San Fernando earthquake will do that to you), but a large part was the fact that ATMs weren't around and they didn't have credit cards.

Need to get the car fixed on Saturday and they don't take checks? Ha -- you're screwed till Monday.

In a disaster, not only will you have to deal with potential telecommunication and power outages that could stop non-cash transactions, but a real possibility of short-term cash shortages. Banks, stores and citizens routinely don't keep more cash than is absolutely necessary. If your little corner of the world goes cash-only for more than say...24 hours...banks will probably have to have more money brought in.

Water, warmth and cash will get you through most urban emergencies. I have potassium iodide included, since I'm within the "yellow ring" of a nuclear plant (which is also on a fault line).

BTW, if you live near a nuclear facility, they usually will give you potassium iodide tabs if you ask.

Oh, I'm surprised no one has said "my gun IS my my cash on-hand." :whistle:

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

larrymod wrote:Only one person has suggested an actual amount.

Here is a guideline: Could you take it in stride if your stash of cash was lost to burglary or fire? If the answer is no, the amount may be too large.
Not saying how much, but a fireproof safe is a good investment for anyone to keep valuables in. I agree with FS though, Willy makes a great point!
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

There was a TV series a few years back, called 'It Takes a Thief', where an ex-professional burglar and a security expert would interview a household with a house that they thought had some serious security concerns. Then they would break in, showing the security problems, and how burglars usually worked. Then they would come back and improve the house security.

They often found houses where the safes weren't bolted down.

And in houses where it WAS bolted down, they could often easily pop it free with a crowbar. So, it shouldn't just be 'bolted down', it should be through some substantial structural member like wall stud of floor joist.