Re: Emergency Management - Cash on Hand

You have too little cash on hand, you're fucked. Too much cash on hand, someone will figure it out, and you'll be a target, in which case you're fucked. In a SHTF situation, 'normal' human behavior goes out the window, and it's every man for himself. Every Tom, Dick and Harry will be packin' heat, looking for someone to exploit.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Cash may be king, but in certain situations, cash can become trash. Look at Germany in the 30's or Argentina in the 80's.

So if you are looking to keep emergency money funds, you need both a short term solution and a long term solution.

I keep a substantial amount of cash, but also a substantial amount of silver coins, which are easier to exchange in small denominations than gold. Except for this ridiculous and moronic gun and gold "Obama is destroying America" craze, silver and gold are stable long term holdings (once they go back to reasonable prices.)

The only time I did it, it was into a concrete slab with anchors.

Also, get a serious safe off of craigslist, not a crap safe from costco. You can usually get a substantial (+300 lbs) safe used for what it would cost for a little safe at costco. These are usually safes from old retailers going out of business and they are the real deal.

Oh, just hoard TP and cigarettes for The Big One. I've never read a disaster list that had much or any of either. They don't go bad and when you need one you NEED one.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote:The only time I did it, it was into a concrete slab with anchors.

Also, get a serious safe off of craigslist, not a crap safe from costco. You can usually get a substantial (+300 lbs) safe used for what it would cost for a little safe at costco. These are usually safes from old retailers going out of business and they are the real deal.

Oh, just hoard TP and cigarettes for The Big One. I've never read a disaster list that had much or any of either. They don't go bad and when you need one you NEED one.
TP, Cigs, and lots of booze. Always have something to barter, and if it gets bad enough, may as well start smoking and drink all the booze.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Diversify. Never put all your eggs in one basket. Awake is correct. My grandmother always said the day will come when the Fed Reserve note won't be worth the paper it's printed on. Germany in the 30's or Argentina in the 80's can happen here. The question is what is a good substitute value exchange medium that would be fairly commonly accepted?

In a disaster or emergency, first thing is first... safety, first aid, food, water, clothes, and suitable shelter.

If your emergency planning is to have a stash o cash.... you need to revisit your plan.

after that, my ability to do useful work with a wide variety of tools will be more valuable than trading smokes for hardtack...

We keep some cash in the safe, but certainly not I. an amount that would get us through a real emergency... At that point it is up to the brain...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired...

-Washington: Art. I, § 24 (enacted 1889)

I started this thread and never meant that cash would solve all your problems, or indeed any of them, in a disaster. Instead, a stash of cash is an important component of an emergency plan. I am not talking complete breakdown of society here. Sandy taught us that it is indeed conceivable, and in fact not improbable, that your credit and debit cards will not buy you gasoline, food, etc., while cash can.

Like all good risk management, the probability of occurrence as well as the cost of buying down the risk must both factor into your mitigation plans. Furthermore, IMO, too much time spent planning mitigation of high impact but extremely low probability risk makes one paranoid.
Last edited by Bucolic on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

About $500 in cash. I always try to keep the pantry full of dry goods. And make sure I have a gas grill handy. I never used to do stuff like this until we were hit by a hurricane, and lost power for a week with a pregnant wife.
I am 2A+

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

prgunfan wrote:$300 in twenties. Around $40 face value in old silver coins and 2 1OZ gold coins.

6K rounds of 22LR, 1K rounds of .40 S&W
Good choices.
Not enough cash, but good choice of ammo.

22lr is a great choice, because you can carry 1000 rounds with little effort, and it is good enough for hunting possum, dog and squirrel in your urban setting. If you use an AR with a 22lr adapter, then you only need a couple 100 rounds of 223 for 'real' use. Plus the family members can carry their share of 22LR and a rifle without too much complaining.

You only need 100 rounds of handgun ammo... it is for emergency use only anyway. Handguns are for self defense, if you need more that 100 rounds of handgun ammo... well let's just say you are having a really bad (terminal?) day.