Re: Bugging Out

Another reason to keep a bug out bag? Camping. :D

You can be a bit better prepared for an emergency, and a lot more prepared to just get away for the weekend.

Click through to view more

Even if it's pouring rain in an Oregon winter!

Now if I can just get away from work long enough to go when the weather's finally nice...

WTF is that little stove in your tent? That looks cool as hell! The fire powered usb charger I have doesn't have a thing on something that'll keep you warm!
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Yossarian wrote:
lemur wrote:As for reasons to bug out, in addition to stuff already mentioned, we've got a railroad track close enough that a derailment could require us to evacuate.
Hmm. I've got that too. I know they haul the fuel tanks, but at least radioactive materials are sent on another line to the north.

I also live near a dormant volcano, and just a few hundred yards from a cinder cone. It will likely stay dormant, but I don't have a crystal ball to know for sure. I'd say economic collapse is more likely than a volcano.
I think earthquake followed by fire from ruptured gas lines is the most likely of scenarios in which we would want to exit our home in a hurry. We have two packs ready to go with food/shelter/water/cash/clothes for 3 days. I actually experienced an evacuation warning on the radio once due to a tsunami scare when I lived in Australia and was glad we were prepared even though the tsunami never materialized.

shinzen wrote:WTF is that little stove in your tent? That looks cool as hell! The fire powered usb charger I have doesn't have a thing on something that'll keep you warm!
Titanium wood stove. Bigger than you think - the fire box is 8x8x11 or so. The tipi shelter has a stove jack. Warm and cozy in winter temps with that thing going!