Re: I'm a sucker for multi-tools

My multi-tool is a Maxpedition Jumbo. Here's what's in it today:

An FEG AN-9 in .380 with extra clip
An LCP, in one of Irishman's wallet holsters and an extra 10 round clip.
Victorinox Deluxe Tinker
Leatherman Blast
3½" SS folder
small interchangable bit screwdriver set
15 keys on 4 different keyrings
Wallet
Passport
3 sets of foam earplugs
spare 1.5 diopter readers (one pair is usually on my face)
3.0 diopter readers (finer work)
5x eyeloupe (damn itty-bitty work)
7 LED flashlight
1 LED flashlight (Arc-AAA)
Braun 1775 electric shaver + charger
2 pens
2 0.5mm mech pencils
telescoping magnet
telescoping back scratcher (yea, really)
small hand santizer
Sewing kit
folding comb and brush
Shout towels
30 Q tips in holder
Liquid Bandage
3.5mm MP3 cable
3.5mm headphones (music/podcast)
3.5mm headphone w/mic (handsfree)
20 business cards
4g USB thumb drive
16g USB thumb drive (has 2 pirated CAD packages, 20 other pieces of pirated/legal software and an FFL/03 license in PDF form)
Wall charger for phone (Uses USB cord)
12v cigarette lighter charger for phone (ditto)
USB/Micro-USB cord for phone
3 charged batteries for phone (got 'em cheap, they were a deal)
wet towels
hand lotion
glass cleaners
30+ sunblock
6' tape measure
dental floss
gum
A Confederate .50 cal bullet dug out of a tree at Shiloh

My wife refers to it as my purse. I expect she is right about that, and it weighs about 20# loaded.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

Mine is very similar, but it's the S-type (left-handed). They make for very handy tool bags.
Antiquus wrote:My multi-tool is a Maxpedition Jumbo. Here's what's in it today:

An FEG AN-9 in .380 with extra clip
An LCP, in one of Irishman's wallet holsters and an extra 10 round clip.
Victorinox Deluxe Tinker
Leatherman Blast
3½" SS folder
small interchangable bit screwdriver set
15 keys on 4 different keyrings
Wallet
Passport
3 sets of foam earplugs
spare 1.5 diopter readers (one pair is usually on my face)
3.0 diopter readers (finer work)
5x eyeloupe (damn itty-bitty work)
7 LED flashlight
1 LED flashlight (Arc-AAA)
Braun 1775 electric shaver + charger
2 pens
2 0.5mm mech pencils
telescoping magnet
telescoping back scratcher (yea, really)
small hand santizer
Sewing kit
folding comb and brush
Shout towels
30 Q tips in holder
Liquid Bandage
3.5mm MP3 cable
3.5mm headphones (music/podcast)
3.5mm headphone w/mic (handsfree)
20 business cards
4g USB thumb drive
16g USB thumb drive (has 2 pirated CAD packages, 20 other pieces of pirated/legal software and an FFL/03 license in PDF form)
Wall charger for phone (Uses USB cord)
12v cigarette lighter charger for phone (ditto)
USB/Micro-USB cord for phone
3 charged batteries for phone (got 'em cheap, they were a deal)
wet towels
hand lotion
glass cleaners
30+ sunblock
6' tape measure
dental floss
gum
A Confederate .50 cal bullet dug out of a tree at Shiloh

My wife refers to it as my purse. I expect she is right about that, and it weighs about 20# loaded.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

This is about as "multi" as I like... It's a knife and bottle opener all in one! Made by Glock.

We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

axel wrote:This is about as "multi" as I like... It's a knife and bottle opener all in one! Made by Glock.

How well does it keep an edge?

I really want one of these because they're so affordable, but at the same time the low price makes me doubt them.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
-Abraham Lincoln

commandZee wrote:
axel wrote:This is about as "multi" as I like... It's a knife and bottle opener all in one! Made by Glock.

I really want one of these because they're so affordable, but at the same time the low price makes me doubt them.
I've never owned one but my brother has one, and it perfectly reflects the Glock name badge ie. It doesn't do any one thing particularly well, but taken overall it's a wonderful package
You want a sharp knife get a Ka-Bar
You want a classic folding knife get a Case
You want a modern folder get a Kershaw or a Benchmade
You want something to depend on when you need it get a Glock knife
Main objective is efficiency; life is inefficient; life hinders the main objective; life must be eliminated.

"I am still ready to shake hands with anyone who designs a better assault rifle than mine."

I've been carrying a multitool, an offbrand similar to the Leatherman pictured above, around in my range bag forever.

At the Appleseed shoot last weekend, I used its pliers for the first time to clear a rare jam on my M1 Garand.

I think I had loaded an en bloc clip incorrectly, with one of the rounds not properly seated. That round had got jammed by the bolt against the bolt face. I had to grab the bullet part of the cartridge with the pliers and pull it back hard. Eventually I created enough clearance to pop out the clip with the clip ejector.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

TheGhostWhoRides wrote:
commandZee wrote:

I've never owned one but my brother has one, and it perfectly reflects the Glock name badge ie. It doesn't do any one thing particularly well, but taken overall it's a wonderful package
You want a sharp knife get a Ka-Bar
You want a classic folding knife get a Case
You want a modern folder get a Kershaw or a Benchmade
You want something to depend on when you need it get a Glock knife
Thanks. For the price that sounds good enough.
-Abraham Lincoln

commandZee wrote:

Haven't used it enough to know. They go for around $30 and come with a plastic (of course) sheath.
We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

axel wrote:
commandZee wrote:

Haven't used it enough to know. They go for around $30 and come with a plastic (of course) sheath.
I know, its a great price.

When I free up some cash I'll get one sometime and use it around the house to test it out.
-Abraham Lincoln

My Lumia 920 is stocked with good stuff. http://www.nokia.com/us-en/products/phone/lumia920/

Communication- phone, e-mail, text
Maps, gps, talking guide
Office, excell, word, adobe files
Tunes, Youtube
Intertubes & all that covers
Cameras & edit, Video recording, sound recording
Calender, reminders, alarms.
Weather reports, Flashlight, level, altimeter, compass
Tunes, games, podcasts
ATM, bank deposits, paypal for in-out cash
Et cetera, et cetera

I use these features far more than I ever have used my Leatherman.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

my son always seems to have one of these, or both, hanging off him...along with the leatherman, flashlight, tape measurer, assorted lengths of cord and maybe a few zip ties...
Screen Shot 2013-02-13 at 7.03.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-02-13 at 7.01.57 PM.png
I don't know what they are exactly, but he sure gets pissed when he loses one.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

A Charge Ti is vac-packed in my vehicle's Bailout pack.

Old School original PS II on the belt in the original Leatherman black leather pouch. I like the long reach of the small screwdriver and the fact that it's such a classic.

For knife-knife work it's a 2004 Microtech Ultratech II. We should do a Show Us Your EDC Knife thread...
"il corporativismo è la pietra angolare dello Stato fascista" Translated, this means: "boom-shacka-lacka-lacka,-boom-boom-boom.

To those of you who have Leatherman and/or Gerber multi-tools: Thanks for supporting the Portland, Oregon economy! :-D

I have a 13-year-old Gerber "Multi-Lock" (their first multi-tool where the components lock open so you can't accidentally slam them shut on your finger. So old it doesn't have a separate model number, just "Gerber Multi-Lock".) Still works great. (In fact, my holster for it finally wore out, so I emailed their warranty line, and they sent me a replacement free of charge!)

Heh. My wife is a huge multitool nut.

She's had up to...20 or so on hand at once. I'm sure it'd have been more if the funds were available :lol:

She recently went home to Ohio for her nephew's HS graduation party & gave out multitools to him, her sister, another nephew & one of her brothers.

I carry a Leatherman Micra, and I'm happy with that.

Oh, and for those who are REALLY into multitools...she also hangs out on the forums at http://www.multitool.org/
The Old Ones were, the Old Ones are, and the Old Ones shall be.

The Multitool nut mentioned in the above post is me.

:yahoo:

I currently carry a Victorinox Spirit X, which just edged out the Leatherman Wave in usefulness, for my needs.

I'm shifting between SOG Crosscut, Leatherman Micra, and Leatherman Squirt PS4 as my keychain go-to tool.

Come on over to http://forum.multitool.org for all the talk about multitools you could ever stand. It's a very good, friendly place with people from all over the world.

In the past year or so, I've had a good 3 dozen tools come and go as I've tried them out. Gerber, SOG, Leatherman, and a lot of Victorinox SAKs.

I go by the same name on those forums as well.

Sorry for the double-post...

I am also carrying a Maxpedition Jumbo, but it's the EDC S-Type. Lighter (800 denier) material and the back pouch is a waterbottle holder.

It contains...

Outside PALS webbing: Pen and sharpie

Forward Pouch: Wallet and cell phone

Top Pouch: Spare glasses

Lower Flap Pouch: Keys, SOG Crosscut multitool, fauxton keychain flashlight

Outside Slip Pouch: Notebook with binderclips

Side Pouch: Very basic first aid kit (to which I added nitrile gloves, and chlor-floc water purifier packets), some OTC medication in a film canister, tube of SPF 50 sunscreen, Bandana, and cheap AA LED flashlight (Small Sun ZY-551 bought from Deal Extreme, if anyone cares)

Main Pouch: Maxpedition Fatty Organizer (I'll coer contents below), light baseball cap, 2 granola bars, safety yellow stuff sack (contents aren't any of your business), 50' of jute twine, little umbrella, rain poncho, and emergency toilet paper in a ziplock bag.

CCW Pouch: keychain size Saber Red pepper spray, keychain LED light, about 20 ounces of various cheap multitools (to simulate the weight of a pistol once I'm legally allowed to carry).

Contents of the Maxpedition Fatty: Hair ties on zipper pull. 1 qt ziplock freezer bag, iphone usb cable, 7 light zipties, 20' roll of duct tape, 2 sqft of heavy duty aluminum foil, 2 N95 dust masks, 2 pair of foam earplugs, emergency toilet paper in ziplock bag, fauxton keychain LED light, 20' of safety orange 550 paracord, Victorinox Spirit X Multitool, bic lighter, USB flash drive with SD and micro SD converter including 4gb micro SD card, rayovac emergency power source for iphone, Small sewing kit, usb to wall socket and usb to 12v car outlet converters. emergency mylar blanket. Possibly other things.

Total weight on this is about 11lbs.

Yes, I am crazy, and have watched WAY too many 'urban survival kit' videos on youtube. :D

From Amazon's site: "The tools include 14g and 15g spoke wrenches, two integrated tire levers, a T25 Torx wrench, Phillips and flat-head screwdrivers, a mini pedal wrench for field repairs, eight sizes of Allen wrenches (2 through 10mm), six box wrenches (two 8, 9, and 10mm sizes), a steel wire chain hook, a stainless-steel knife, a cast Cromoly steel chain tool, and compartments for two chain pins. There's even a bottle opener for post-ride celebrations. The Alien II measures 3.4 by 1.7 by 1.6 inches (W x H x D) and comes with a ND nylon storage bag with a belt clip."