Re: Attention Amatuer Radio operators

New here, but wanted to add my name to the list of known Hams. I'm a General, but don't do any HF work (sold my HF rig to buy guns :think: ), currently have a 2M rig in my truck.

KF7***
"Be weird; pay with cash!" - Dave Ramsey

"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't come here to live." - Tom McCall, 30th Governor of Oregon

ezmac028 wrote:Sounds like a Baofeng UV 5R. Thinking about getting one myself to use as a 2nd unit with my Wouxun UV 6D, or just a radio to keep in the car.
Exactly. I remember when a good handheld 2 meter transceiver was freaking ridiculous like $800 which is why I never got into the hobby. This thing is $35 and has amazing abilities. I got the PC cord coming yet, and I'm looking around for tech tests to take. I remember enough I think to pass with a little study.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

Antiquus wrote:
ezmac028 wrote:Sounds like a Baofeng UV 5R. Thinking about getting one myself to use as a 2nd unit with my Wouxun UV 6D, or just a radio to keep in the car.
Exactly. I remember when a good handheld 2 meter transceiver was freaking ridiculous like $800 which is why I never got into the hobby. This thing is $35 and has amazing abilities. I got the PC cord coming yet, and I'm looking around for tech tests to take. I remember enough I think to pass with a little study.
I have 3 of them. One in the car, one at home, one at work.

rustyrower wrote:Did this become a thing?
It's a dying thing now since it became a thing generations ago. If you subscribe to QST you might have noticed the silent key list in the back of each issue. The average age at NEARFest a few weeks ago appeared to be about 65.
I'm a beginner, just passed General, have HT & participate in local nets, that's all so far.
Congratulations. With that HT you could become involved in emergency management.

For HF you could save up for an IC-7300, a cheaper SDR, or an older used rig. A dipole or tunable wire can get you on 80, 40, 20.

With FT8 you could rack up QSOs quickly on HF.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

DispositionMatrix wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:56 am
Welcome from another Extra. How long have you been an Extra?

I made Extra in 2011. Yes, I got interested in upgrading when the code was dropped. That had always been the stumbling block for me.

Unfortunately, I have nothing but uhf/vhf in the town I work in and there is little traffic on those bands here. So I won't be on the air for a while.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40