Re: Where There Is No Doctor

I suppose I should read it before commenting, but I was a bit taken aback by this quote:

“Modern medicine does not have all the answers either. It has helped solve some problems, yet has led to other, sometimes even bigger ones. People quickly come to depend too much on modern medicine and its experts, to overuse medicines, and to forget how to care for themselves and each other”

As far as I'm concerned, modern medicine is absolutely wonderful. It's why, even though we are overusing medicines and have forgotten how to take care of ourselves, we live twice as long as our ancestors.

Chamber's empty, magazine's full, safety's broken.

As far as I'm concerned, modern medicine isn't worth much of a damn, unless the patient is in critical condition from trauma or acute disease.

Far too many people (like my sisters) go running to the doctor for sniffles, aches and pains, and very frequently come out of the hospital worse than when they went in; many patients are killed by the doctors and the diseases they pick up while there.

Many become addicted to antibiotics and other medicines they'd have been better off never having taken at all.

I was treated for car accident injuries in 2004. Before that, there was a 1973 trip to LA County General for a penicillin jolt when I got pneumonia. So that makes two doctor visits in 30 years' time.

I'm pretty positive on dentistry, but the psychiatric profession is pretty much on par with worse than used car sales and Wall Street banksters in my view.

To each their own, but I’ll stay as far away from doctors and hospitals as I can for as long as possible. Talk about less is more! :laugh:
"il corporativismo è la pietra angolare dello Stato fascista" Translated, this means: "boom-shacka-lacka-lacka,-boom-boom-boom.

Modern medicine could do more to encourage wellness and prevention rather than treating a problem once the problem exists. That we largely do not is largely a result of our health care system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Capitalism was reasonably content under Hitler, happy under Mussolini, very happy under Franco and delirious under General Pinochet. -- John Ralston Saul

Simmer down wrote:My wife is a nurse and she doesn't let me wrap up wounds in paper towels and duct tape like I did before we met.
Of course as a nursing professionals we know you have to use 4 inch wide adhesive tape. BTW that is the medical profession version of duct tape.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Of course as a nursing professionals we know you have to use 4 inch wide adhesive tape. BTW that is the medical profession version of duct tape.
Mainly to tape the shoes of the street people on their feet before the overly enthusiastic 3rd years take 'em off and clears out one entire ED bay. (There's a reason those shoes haven't been off those feet since the late 90's)

And on another note, I believe there is a demographic that considers going to an ED as a form of entertainment.

bigmike0301 wrote:
And on another note, I believe there is a demographic that considers going to an ED as a form of entertainment.
There is definitely such a group and with what I have seen working in Ambulances and then Hospital ER for 20 yrs as a nurse the stories are great. We use to clear out this bar that a bunch of us would go to after work. As we drank more beer the war stories got better till the civilians would just leave and it would be all medical personnel.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

The book is produced by http://hesperian.org/

I highly recommend ordering it directly from them so they get the most out of your purchase. They are a wonderful organization and have been doing amazing work for 40 years.

They are all dedicated people who want to help others. All of their books are incredible reads and help break it down to the level of a 6th grader.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and servile, it is morally treasonable to the American people." -- Theodore Roosevelt