Re: Winterizing Vehicle and Home

I moved to Southern California. House is perfectly winterized. :roflmao: I'm an asshole, I know.

In weather this cold, checking the pipes that are one outside walls is important, as is leaving those pipes that are exposed to the cold with a little drip of water running.
http://www.weather.com/activities/homea ... event.html

Also, please have a bag in the car/truck for if you get stuck. Some handwarmers and space blankets don't take much space and aren't that expensive.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Shinzen, to your comment about leaving a bit of drip with outside pipes, I did this last night and my pipes still froze and have been frozen most of the day as it got no warmer than 36. It's record cold for this time of year here and most of the people here were not prepared for this kind of cold. So, my advice make sure you have a way of keeping heat on your well if you have one.
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

M4Builder wrote:Shinzen, to your comment about leaving a bit of drip with outside pipes, I did this last night and my pipes still froze and have been frozen most of the day as it got no warmer than 36. It's record cold for this time of year here and most of the people here were not prepared for this kind of cold. So, my advice make sure you have a way of keeping heat on your well if you have one.
It won't stop them from freezing. It's to keep the pressure from the ice from busting the pipes. A slow drip relieves the pressure as the ice expands.

Agreed on the heat- hopefully folks have a way of doing that for wells, animals, etc. Some brutal weather. I'm in DC right now on work and it's freaking ridiculous.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Sonofagun wrote:A new battery and fresh coolant change in your car will help. Check tire air pressure. Keep tank full.

A lot of fucking firewood will come in handy for the house.

There is no winter where you live.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

It's at times like this I'm happy I moved back to Oregon from Iowa. In the last twenty years I've never had to keep running out every hour to start the car nor have I had to install an engine block heater. I've never had to shovel massive quantities of snow because I know the 2 inches of snow would be gone in a couple of days. Nor has my car ever been blocked in by the rain plow. :lol:

That being said, I'm not looking forward to traveling to Des Moines this week to take car of the mess my estranged wife left behind with her death on Sunday. Wish me the best because my son needs all the support he can get.

Jim
Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

JColville wrote:It's at times like this I'm happy I moved back to Oregon from Iowa. In the last twenty years I've never had to keep running out every hour to start the car nor have I had to install an engine block heater. I've never had to shovel massive quantities of snow because I know the 2 inches of snow would be gone in a couple of days. Nor has my car ever been blocked in by the rain plow. :lol:

That being said, I'm not looking forward to traveling to Des Moines this week to take car of the mess my estranged wife left behind with her death on Sunday. Wish me the best because my son needs all the support he can get.

Jim
Travel safe!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Every native Minnesotan is born knowing that you need a survival kit in your car-blanket, gloves, hat, boots, matches, candle, candy bars, shovel, sand, brandy. A tuneup and fresh oil go a long way to help starting a car. And we all know that an attached garage with a remote opener is a sign of civilization. Human version of a nesting instinct.

Most home winterizations also help with summer coolings. A couple of ft of insulation in the attic, tuning up the furnace, weather stripping, modern high efficiency windows and doors. All it takes is money.

After watching the highway surveillance video of an SUV jumping a bridge rail and dropping about 40 ft onto a frozen pond, maybe a parachute should be included. Driver limped away, SUV totaled. The joys of black ice.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

I used to live where it would freeze once (once!) a winter. I used to keep a can of de-icer attached to the inside of my truck bumper. Kept me from being locked out in the cold one winter.

Survival mylar blankets and hand warmers can go a long way to keeping youfrom freezing.

Good luck to all you with polar weather. Be safe.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."