Always check your gear...

So, I was doing a radio check with the new antenna, transmitting to a local repeater, and making sure I had the repeater shift and PL tones set up correctly, listening on Echolink on the computer.

Hours of futzing with it, changing settings, tweaking things, no reception through the repeater.

Or so I thought.

On a lark I fired up echolink on my iPad, and tada, could hear my test transmissions just fine.

Apparently, the windows firewall was getting in the way. I hate windows 8.

Always check your assumptions...

Re: Always check your gear...

Inquisitor wrote:So, I was doing a radio check with the new antenna, transmitting to a local repeater, and making sure I had the repeater shift and PL tones set up correctly, listening on Echolink on the computer.

Hours of futzing with it, changing settings, tweaking things, no reception through the repeater.

Or so I thought.

On a lark I fired up echolink on my iPad, and tada, could hear my test transmissions just fine.

Apparently, the windows firewall was getting in the way. I hate windows 8.

Always check your assumptions...
Curious, what's your radio setup?

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I have a quad band yaesu mobile (770, 2m, 6m and 10m), a kenwood 2m mobile and a kenwood all mode transceiver (that I can't transit on, only tech). And a couple dual band handhelds (a yaesu and a couple baofengs). And of course echolink. I have an SDR radio, but not got it working yet, want to dedicate a laptop to it).

Been waiting for help to mount a proper external antenna outside for the bands I can transmit on, but my friends are unreliable, so I finally hung my "portable" antenna indoors.

Crappy pic:
Attachments
image.jpg

Inquisitor wrote:Been waiting for help to mount a proper external antenna outside for the bands I can transmit on, but my friends are unreliable, so I finally hung my "portable" antenna indoors.

I wish my HOA would allow and external antenna. On top of that I have no pipe chase so running an antenna in the attic will be a bitch.
Token Republican.

STLWaffles wrote:
Inquisitor wrote:Been waiting for help to mount a proper external antenna outside for the bands I can transmit on, but my friends are unreliable, so I finally hung my "portable" antenna indoors.

I wish my HOA would allow and external antenna. On top of that I have no pipe chase so running an antenna in the attic will be a bitch.
There is a great book on stealth antennas from ARRL.

http://www.arrl.org/shop/Low-Profile-Amateur-Radio

Also, some real decent jpole antennas that you can hang in a room corner

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VHF-UHF-Slim-Ji ... 4aa07ed593