Re: CMP South closed due to awful weather.

It's bad for this part of the country. The cement was just warm enough to melt the first of the snow so we have a layer of ice with eight or so inches of powder snow over it.

Driving is not advised. All non essential services are shut down.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

My kid is stationed at Ft Bragg in NC -- they all but shut down the entire post, and sent all soldiers who live off post home, and all soldiers who live on post were told to be in their barracks, unless they had specific permission.

I was watching the videos out of the Atlanta metro area and all I could think was "The Walking Dead".
First of all, let's call it what it really is...It's not a gun buy-back, because the government never owned them. It's a gun turn in.

SmokeFan wrote:Friend of mine in Atlanta has been telling me how bad things are there. And another friend who is stranded in AL (holed up at a Hilton Garden Inn) says I-10 is solid ice. Down there they don't have the resources (snowplows, ice melt, etc.) to deal with snow and ice, since they get it so rarely.
Atlanta had very poor planning. They are still in school as far as I have found out. Down here by the coast, all the bridges are iced but we got little snow. Tonight we are supposed to get freezing rain and sleet which is going to ice everything over in the morning.
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

Seeing this on the news reminds me that I need to get back to work on my truck emergency gear. I have a lot of stuff, but I really need to add a couple of freeze dried meals, some bottled waters (drained slight to avoid bursting when frozen), and an MSR pocket rocket. I've heard some where on the highway for 16 hours.
All human wisdom is contained in these two words: Wait and hope.

christianne wrote:My kid is stationed at Ft Bragg in NC -- they all but shut down the entire post, and sent all soldiers who live off post home, and all soldiers who live on post were told to be in their barracks, unless they had specific permission.
Am I the only one that finds this... disconcerting?

I mean, it's not like we're facing imminent invasion, but whoa! The U.S. Army calls a snow day?
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Elmo wrote:
christianne wrote:My kid is stationed at Ft Bragg in NC -- they all but shut down the entire post, and sent all soldiers who live off post home, and all soldiers who live on post were told to be in their barracks, unless they had specific permission.
Am I the only one that finds this... disconcerting?

I mean, it's not like we're facing imminent invasion, but whoa! The U.S. Army calls a snow day?
They did it here too. Grounded all flights and closed both Ft Stewart and Hunter AAF.
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.

Inquisitor wrote:I guess this is why my bayonet order is still "Processing"
Mine, too. Probably sitting on a pallet of others just like it.
CMP needs to staff up for a while when they get back.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

M4Builder wrote:Meh. It'll be warm again by this weekend I'm hoping. I just hate when you walk outside one day and it's 70 and then over night drops to 34.
Welcome to Wyoming in April and September. :laugh:

(Why yes, I might be one of those cold-climate denizens who have been mocking Atlanta and Birmingham for shutting down over a paltry 2" of snow. And yes, I might be a cold hearted bitch.)
Anything unattempted remains impossible.

Like coffee? (or tea?)