water shelf life and options

I live in earthquake country and near a nuke plant. While I'm not worried about glowing, I am concerned that an "event" could tax the local grid to the point of breaking. I experienced more power outages when I lived next to a powerplant than during any other point in my life. Surges from grid shifts constantly blew transformers.

Anyway, I need to store some water. I was thinking of buying a few filled water cooler bottles. I want to maximize shelf life. Suggestions?

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: water shelf life and options

If you buy bottled water, and keep it out of UV, the plastic shouldn't break down and the water should stay fine for years. Feel free to switch it out every once in a while.

My plan is to mostly use my pool. We've got about an additional 10 gal stashed, in case that doesn't work.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

Also worth thinking of adding is a ceramic water filter like the berkey. Long lasting, filters out even swamp water. The Aquacera versions can be had for cheap, and if you really want to go cheap, just buy the candle filters, drill a couple of holes in a 5 gallon bucket and lid, and then you've got a big water filter you can rely on no matter what. It's good insurance.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Yes. I have iodine in both cars. Where I live, it's not a huge worry. But we often get REALLY close to the plant when we go to the coast.

Even in a moderate "event", iodine can be a real life-saver.

I bought mine before Fucked-up-shima went and made it briefly unavailable. The power plant will actually give you free pills each year, if you request them (I believe an NRC regulation). I'll probably do that so I can have a backup set.

shinzen wrote:I live in a river town as well- so we filter our water and keep filtration stuff readily on hand. Can bike to water if shit got real bad. A far cry from our old place which was high desert in CO.
I lived in colorado for awhile. it was job related.

Lived in Ridgeway on the western slope worked in telluride
i built the 6 story telco building at lift one and the high school
I miss the mountains, It was awesome living there.
On the way to work one morning in a snow storm, Driving over the devide, A huge bull elk was in the road, in rut
pissing on himself and challenging me for the road, I just sat and watched him prance around and snort at me.
all I had with me was a coffee cup, if i would have had my 300 mag.....

senorgrand wrote:I live in earthquake country and near a nuke plant. While I'm not worried about glowing, I am concerned that an "event" could tax the local grid to the point of breaking. I experienced more power outages when I lived next to a powerplant than during any other point in my life. Surges from grid shifts constantly blew transformers.

Anyway, I need to store some water. I was thinking of buying a few filled water cooler bottles. I want to maximize shelf life. Suggestions?
It's fucking water?

Inquisitor wrote:
senorgrand wrote:I live in earthquake country and near a nuke plant. While I'm not worried about glowing, I am concerned that an "event" could tax the local grid to the point of breaking. I experienced more power outages when I lived next to a powerplant than during any other point in my life. Surges from grid shifts constantly blew transformers.

It's fucking water?
Well, I wasn't going to use it for THAT, but....

senorgrand wrote:
Inquisitor wrote: Anyway, I need to store some water. I was thinking of buying a few filled water cooler bottles. I want to maximize shelf life. Suggestions?
It's fucking water?
senorgrand wrote: Well, I wasn't going to use it for THAT, but....
:laugh:

Algae, molds, etc. It's always fucking water, but it can cause problems if it isn't kept in the right state. Honestly a little regular chlorine in the correct PPM will do the trick with no issues. Also a good filtration system, in case you forget or run out.

One of these will turn swamp water into drinkable water:

https://www.amazon.com/Berkey-Filter-Ce ... B002RZXY5O
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou