You made me do it.

Reading the treads in this forum got me thinking. When that happens my wife says I spend money. Well I did thinking about some of the things needed for possible disasters. Not SHTF type but weather type living in tornado alley. So I got to looking after reading about cheap ham gear in another thread and bought me a Pofung UV B5 dual band. This will get me back on the air after a long long absence. I was in the first group of no code tech license in Fort Worth. I have kept my ticket active just didn't have any gear after I gave it all to my father in law. At the time to many hams would just give you grief if you weren't in the clique that started out with spark gap. So I quit but kept the ticket active.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: You made me do it.

Mason wrote:I bought one of those but have no f'in clue how to use it.

Enjoy!

Why did you buy it? Are you a HAM radio operator? If not then the radio is no better than a scanner. You can't transmit on any of the factory set frequencies without a amateur radio license. If you don't have the HAM license check online ans get the stuff to study and get your license. Buy studying for the license you will learn how to use the radio.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I just wanted a GOOD radio to get NPR without the local collage station walking all over it periodically. Why can't I find a decent FM transitor like I grew up with? They're all shit nowadays.

There is little room left in my study time and my brain already feels generally over full of technical info. My ham licence can wait...
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote:I just wanted a GOOD radio to get NPR without the local collage station walking all over it periodically. Why can't I find a decent FM transitor like I grew up with? They're all shit nowadays.

There is little room left in my study time and my brain already feels generally over full of technical info. My ham licence can wait...
There are good ones if you want to pay the money. If you just want to listen to your local NPR station see if they have a web site you can listen on your computer and also check if they have a mobile app for iPhone or android. I check on my local NPR station, KERA, and they have all three.

Checked the NPR station WHRO WHRV have internet streaming and Apps for both iPhone and Android.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Inquisitor, I have the cable, I'll check into it.

Texan, my computer does not travel well on back country hunting trips which, as well as by the bed, is a big part of wanting a small, quality receiver.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote:Thanks Inquisitor, I have the cable, I'll check into it.

Texan, my computer does not travel well on back country hunting trips which, as well as by the bed, is a big part of wanting a small, quality receiver.
I didn't know from your post what you were wanting. Don't be surprised when you get in the backwoods you can't get the NPR stations around you home area, unless that is your backwoods. The broadcast map shows those are fairly low power stations and FM is line of site broadcasting. so with any hills or mountains between you and the transmitter the signal is blocked.

Here is the road cast map for the NPR stations for Hampton VA.

http://corporate.whro.org/images/pdf/WH ... p_2013.pdf

http://corporate.whro.org/images/pdf/WH ... p_2013.pdf

Good luck with the radio. I suggest since you don't have a HAM license, when you are setting the radio up using the software to go and block the HAM frequencies on the radio from transmitting.
Have fun.

In an emergency, a non licensed person is allowed to use the amateur radio bands.

But, a tech ticket is easy to get. A couple hours at this site should do it, and then you need to find a testing location and pay your $20.

I found it rather convenient this weekend out in the wilds and jackassing around with a group of friends that also all have their licenses. Half of them were on Baofengs that did just fine for hitting a local repeater.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!