Re: Survival types

Well, the way I look at it is that if they are gearing up for a fight we might as well train the way they do so that we will not be taken by surprise. Much of their stuff is available online for free if you kick over stones and don't mind getting your hands a little dirty. ;)
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Simmer down wrote:Revenge and Humor in the same section? Yeow! That says something. :shock:
Yeah, "Mr H" has some interesting ideas that if ever were taken beyond the 'informational purposes' state would make the news.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Ah Paladin Press, the publishers of the worst things I read through my adolescence. Worse than all the John Rechy and Larry Townsend and Anton LaVey and Alastair Crowley and Emma Goldman and even worse than Anais Nin and Henry Miller. Then again, I do still vividly remember those first pictures of the AK74 and 5.45x39 to come out of Afghanistan in SOF.

Fukshot wrote:Ah Paladin Press, the publishers of the worst things I read through my adolescence. Worse than all the John Rechy and Larry Townsend and Anton LaVey and Alastair Crowley and Emma Goldman and even worse than Anais Nin and Henry Miller. Then again, I do still vividly remember those first pictures of the AK74 and 5.45x39 to come out of Afghanistan in SOF.
Why are you describing my adolescence?

spara wrote:
Fukshot wrote:Ah Paladin Press, the publishers of the worst things I read through my adolescence. Worse than all the John Rechy and Larry Townsend and Anton LaVey and Alastair Crowley and Emma Goldman and even worse than Anais Nin and Henry Miller. Then again, I do still vividly remember those first pictures of the AK74 and 5.45x39 to come out of Afghanistan in SOF.
Funny, I had a similar thought. :lol:

Then again, I did get every issue of Loompanics, LTD's catalog...

spara wrote:
:roflmao: :love:

I still enjoy Anais Nin's thoughts from time to time. It wasn't all erotica. She was a rather intriguingly complex character.

http://www.brainpickings.org/tag/anais-nin/

Eh, LaVey and Crowley were nutcases for whom my interest was short-lived. Same for Paladin Press. Most folks are better off studying wild foods in their respective area than buying their bullshit.
"Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism. Our lives will have to change if we want to save life from self-destruction." ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn

OldScratch wrote: Eh, LaVey and Crowley were nutcases for whom my interest was short-lived. Same for Paladin Press. Most folks are better off studying wild foods in their respective area than buying their bullshit.
^^^^This for me. I think I bought one issue of SOF, laughed my ass off at it & never bothered again.

Got my military fix from board games and making "what if" sims for things like Antietam.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

I started reading SOF when the USSR invaded Afghanistan, I was fascinated by their tactics and weaponry including the use of tiny anti-personnel mines dropped from Hind helicopters. In addition to reading whatever I thought was subversive (Burroughs, Miller, Thompson, Kerouac, Ginsberg), I also checked out of the library and held on to as many Foxfire books as I possibly could. I had a really weird world view.

spara wrote:I started reading SOF when the USSR invaded Afghanistan, I was fascinated by their tactics and weaponry including the use of tiny anti-personnel mines dropped from Hind helicopters. In addition to reading whatever I thought was subversive (Burroughs, Miller, Thompson, Kerouac, Ginsberg), I also checked out of the library and held on to as many Foxfire books as I possibly could. I had a really weird world view.
We had Foxfire books around our house, too, back in the 70's, thanks to my father. And SOF was eminently more worldly, as well as readable, than LaVey and Crowley. They were sending people into Afghanistan to report on the war a year or two before Dan Rather made his debut there wearing a pakol on his head. Robert Brown was their editor and Afghan correspondent. Didn't hurt they featured Marilyn Chambers at their Las Vegas conventions.
"Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism. Our lives will have to change if we want to save life from self-destruction." ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn

HuckleberryFun wrote:
TheViking wrote:Pretty sure if you order anything from Paladin you'll probably be on the watch list of one or more Three Letter Agencies...
No. They are too busy profiling so many others.
Like, people who post every day on gun-nuttery forums? :beer2:
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Uncle Sam can be your friend. all from gun shows and milsurp stores:
FM 21-11 First Aid for Soldiers
FM 21-26 Map Reading and Land Navigation
FM 21-76 Survival
FM 23-45 Pistols and Revolvers
FM 31-21 Guerrilla Warfare and Special Forces Operations
All-purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment (ALICE)
POI 7658, Patrolling FTX Special Forces Combat Recon Manual Repiublic of Vietnam
STP 21-SMCT Warrior Skills Level 1
TC 23-14 Sniper Trining and Employment
TM 9-1005-211-34 Direct and General Support Maintenance Manual Pistol, Caliber .45, Automatic, M1911A1
TM 9-1005-222-12 Operator and Organizational Maintenance Manual... M-1 Garand
TM 9-1005-249-10 Operator's Manual M16A1 Rifle
i was contemplating getting the one on improvised, um, thingies, and then 9-11 and afganistan happened and they all disappeared. nowadays, not really interested. better to re-read what i have.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I thought to myself, "golly, it would be nice to have a copy of FM 21-26 Map Reading and Land Navigation." Then I went and downloaded the .pdf. Won't go in my ALICE, though. Have to find paper eventually--right now I have my old Boy Scout Orienteering Merit Badge book and my Scout compass in there.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack