Re: What Did You Do to Prep Today?

I bought a couple of these. They are compact and do a really good job. More for power outages. I also have an old-fashioned one that looks more like a stove top espresso pot, only with a crank rather than a handle and spout. Yes, I know that's a picture of the espresso pot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XZ ... UTF8&psc=1

"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Found a fantastic military surplus place that has tons of MREs and survival food (including those lifeboat 2000 calorie 'mystery food bricks' and cases of fresh 'civilian version' MREs). Started adding MREs to my freeze-dried food supply. https://www.afsurplus.com/

Spent some time practicing with Winlink to keep everything updated, validate my operations checklist, and keep my winlink/winmor email address from expiring.

AndyH wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:27 pm Found a fantastic military surplus place that has tons of MREs and survival food (including those lifeboat 2000 calorie 'mystery food bricks' and cases of fresh 'civilian version' MREs). Started adding MREs to my freeze-dried food supply. https://www.afsurplus.com/

Spent some time practicing with Winlink to keep everything updated, validate my operations checklist, and keep my winlink/winmor email address from expiring.
You did better than me: I let my Winlink address lapse. I know what you mean about Lifeboat Rations: they’ll keep you alive but you’ll be wishing for *real food* the whole time. I ate up a 2,400 calorie brick of Datrex “lemon” (???) wafers recently as my entire day’s food intake... I kind of wish I hadn’t. When in the life raft I now plan to resort to cannibalism straight away. :x
spara wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:34 pm Remember those water bricks I bought last year? I replaced the water in them today.
You reminded me it’s time to rotate the stored water. Thanks. :)
Emptied six five gallon cubes, rinsed them out, and turned over to drain and dry overnight.
Refill with water and unscented bleach tomorrow. (It’s Oregon in Fall, not worried about lack of water for a day) ;)
Also got a new knife today. The MOLLE sheath for it is coming tomorrow.
5B3134D1-A39D-488E-A24B-E8C3C6C4ACF7.jpeg
C7672F08-CD5A-4E32-B54E-C4B8E177B8DE.jpeg

HuckleberryFun wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:26 pm
You did better than me: I let my Winlink address lapse. I know what you mean about Lifeboat Rations: they’ll keep you alive but you’ll be wishing for *real food* the whole time. I ate up a 2,400 calorie brick of Datrex “lemon” (???) wafers recently as my entire day’s food intake... I kind of wish I hadn’t. When in the life raft I now plan to resort to cannibalism straight away.
How's that gonna work if you're the only one in it???? :fun: :blink:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:02 pm
You did better than me: I let my Winlink address lapse. I know what you mean about Lifeboat Rations: they’ll keep you alive but you’ll be wishing for *real food* the whole time. I ate up a 2,400 calorie brick of Datrex “lemon” (???) wafers recently as my entire day’s food intake... I kind of wish I hadn’t. When in the life raft I now plan to resort to cannibalism straight away.
:laugh:
I guess I’ll have to start with my little toe.

HuckleberryFun wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:06 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:02 pm
:laugh:
I guess I’ll have to start with my little toe.
All I can say is, Please, Start without me!!! :laugh:

AndyH wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:27 pm Found a fantastic military surplus place that has tons of MREs and survival food (including those lifeboat 2000 calorie 'mystery food bricks' and cases of fresh 'civilian version' MREs). Started adding MREs to my freeze-dried food supply. https://www.afsurplus.com/
On the topic of food, I've found #10 cans of Mountain House dehydrated food to be the ticket. It's actually palatable and will last 30+years sitting on the top shelf in the (not ungodly hot in the summer) garage. Best source I've found is https://theepicenter.com/food-storage/m ... -cans.html with periodic sales/shipping. The drawback is that you need hot water to reconstitute. But I'll take that over dry brick food any day.

MREs are nice to have for grab-n-go or short term (although I haven't sampled any recently).

You reminded me it’s time to rotate the stored water. Thanks. :)
Emptied six five gallon cubes, rinsed them out, and turned over to drain and dry overnight.
Refill with water and unscented bleach tomorrow. (It’s Oregon in Fall, not worried about lack of water for a day) ;)
Also got a new knife today. The MOLLE sheath for it is coming tomorrow.
Nice knife!

On water, rotation is good practice but I don't bother. Municipal sources have enough residual chlorine in them to kill whatever is in the container. Water doesn't go "bad," so use what you've got if necessary (it may leach taste/chemicals, so HDPE is a good bet). Water stored long-term may taste a bit off but this is based on the lack of dissolved oxygen rather than "bad" water.

SailDesign wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:38 pm I encourage people on a daily basis not to be asshats and to not vote for them.

This more effective than prepping, and cheaper as well. :D
You encourage people not to be asshats.
You encourage people not to vote for them
How’s that been working out for you? ;)

Your way is cheaper, I’ll give you that. Calling people asshats might have high social costs, though.
This is insurance in case your way of preventing calamity fails and things go bad. It’s not meant to stop the shit from hitting the fan, it’s for sidestepping the avalanche of said shit once (if) it breaks loose. That’s all.

I won’t try to convince you of the prudence of my way. If you aren’t already persuaded by now that things are pretty precarious then nothing I could say will convince you otherwise. I still wish you the best of luck, and hope you never need it.

HuckleberryFun wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:39 pm
SailDesign wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:38 pm I encourage people on a daily basis not to be asshats and to not vote for them.

Your way is cheaper, I’ll give you that. Calling people asshats might have high social costs, though.
This is insurance in case your way of preventing calamity fails and things go bad. It’s not meant to stop the shit from hitting the fan, it’s for sidestepping the avalanche of said shit once (if) it breaks loose. That’s all.

I won’t try to convince you of the prudence of my way. If you aren’t already persuaded by now that things are pretty precarious then nothing I could say will convince you otherwise. I still wish you the best of luck, and hope you never need it.
Yup - I am not as convinced as you that things are bad at all. We just need to edjumicate folks to vote for those whose interest is in running the country for the benefit of its citizens, not its corporations and oligarchs. This shouldn't even be a political "thing", but apparently it is.

Do I think I will need to defend my little house on a dead-end street on a little island in the middle of the bay. Nope - no for one minute do I think ANY amount of firepower will help if the SHTF. So I work towards making sure the shit and the fan never get anywhere close to each other. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

SailDesign wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:15 pm
HuckleberryFun wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:39 pm

Yup - I am not as convinced as you that things are bad at all. We just need to edjumicate folks to vote for those whose interest is in running the country for the benefit of its citizens, not its corporations and oligarchs. This shouldn't even be a political "thing", but apparently it is.

Do I think I will need to defend my little house on a dead-end street on a little island in the middle of the bay. Nope - no for one minute do I think ANY amount of firepower will help if the SHTF. So I work towards making sure the shit and the fan never get anywhere close to each other. :)
That's a sidestep worthy of a politician. :lol:

Prepping today/this week: Laid in another 10 pounds of rice, dried beans,canned and dehydrated meat and eggs. Laid in another 100 rounds of hand loaded 9mm and 100 rounds of 5.56. Updated medical/First Aid kits with gun shot and surgical goodies as well as medications for all members of the family.

Laid in a small shovel and anti diarrhea medicines as well as vitamins and a case of MRE's, decent whiskey, and canned tobacco for trade goods.

Almost set now.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

featureless wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:10 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:03 pm
HuckleberryFun wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:48 pm Watched the news. Decided my formerly satisfactory preps are insufficient.
Need more good rum and bourbon!
That's the spirit!
Since I won't drink Scotch, do I stock it for trade...or count on the Bourbon? (I go for good Tequila and occasionally Vodka, too!)

My favorite? Martinique Rhum Vieux!

Bacchus wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:47 am
HuckleberryFun wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:48 pm Watched the news. Decided my formerly satisfactory preps are insufficient.
+1

Watching the news leads me to wonder if any any amount of prepping is sufficient. :(
There's only so much you can do. We're all more or less dependent on a functioning society. A stash of food and water, cooking fuel, light, medications is always good. Cash on hand is also usually a good idea. Clean firearm with some bullits and knowledge of how to use them may or may not be a good idea (but what would we talk about if it wasn't?).

Beyond that, knowing your community/neighbors is probably the best thing. I've found that even if you have "not much" in common, most folk are willing to help each other in times of need. Hell, you might even have more in common after! Take note of who might be at risk (poor, elderly, "other") and be ready to lend a hand. If you're the "other" in your community, identify those who might be most likely to look past that and see your humanity. We do exist, even in the white male category. ;)