West Coast Concerns

So I have always been interested in emergency management, ever since I was a kid and watched zombie movies with my friends (led me to Zombie Squad, led me to emergency preparedness, led me to being interest in dynamics of disaster etc). I've always taken it to heart to be reasonably prepared, which has changed as circumstances have changed.

It meant that..
When I lived in Nebraska? Having enough food, water, supplies to survive a power outage or freezing weather. Having those supplies in a basement (unlikely to have a tornado where I lived, but still possible).

When I moved to California, having enough supplies, and mostly water, in case of "The Big One". I drive around with a FAK, enough water for a week for myself, or a few days with my significant other, emergency rations, tools to work on my vehicle in case of issues.

But as of late, the concern about Trumps erratic nature, sword rattling on both sides when it comes to North Korea, and their advances in developing ballistic missiles (they're still years off, but enough to make me concerned). This, combined with a drastic rise in noticeable hate crimes and racism in the Bay Area led me to having "the talk" with my generally anti-gun fiance. I haven't ever felt the need to own a defensive fire arm until now, and purchased a pistol, shotgun, and plan on getting another pistol, maybe a revolver and a couple rifles (down the line, I need to pace myself for my wallets sake).

I'm also going over basic emergency plans. What do my fiance and I do in case of a huge earthquake? What do we do in case of a wild fire that cuts us off? What do we do if there is, in the very minor chance, a nuclear attack (dirty bomb or conventional)?

I've made a list of things to work on
1. Supplies, including water, food, equipment, for at least two weeks, preferably three weeks.
2. Emergency plans including
- how to get home
- how to get to her parents
- how to get out of the Bay Area (which is tricky)
- how to get North, South, east
3. Storage of supplies in a way that is easy enough to transport quickly.
4. Communication

I hate feeling like this sounds crazy/paranoid talk. But all those "worst case scenarios" I've always discussed with friends/bullshitted now seems plausible. I hate the uncertainty under Trump, the erratic nature of his actions.

There are a couple questions I have for fellow members who have become more concerned, or not concerned, about emergency preparedness after the election.
1. Have you changed your preparedness habits and priorities?
2. What are your biggest concerns? Especially if you're in the Bay Area, including geographical concerns.
3. What are you interested in changing/learning to prepare?
4. If you aren't more concerned, then anything that you can do to help ease my mind would be GREATLY appreciated!
5. If anyone in the Bay Area would like to meet up and discuss how to be more prepared, what actions we could take as a group to help teach each other or build a community, let me know!

Thanks everyone,

BayAreaMidwesterner

Re: West Coast Concerns

I'm in central Contra Costa County. I'm not going to worry about a nuke, because if that's the case we are all screwed anyway. I keep a "Get home bag" in my car. A little food, a complete change of clothes, space blanket, leather work gloves, fire starter, leatherman multi tool, rain gear, tooth brush etc. Some of this stuff has come in handy with minor emergencies already. I keep it all in a pack, if need be I could put it on and walk home.
At home, we have water and food for at least 30 days and of course guns and ammo, a generator and 15 gallons of gas, could run the geni or fill up a car to get out of town.
If things get serious, I would try to stay home and wait it out. If I have to head out, I've got friends in the Sierra foothills that would be happy to see me and my supplies.

You're smart to prepare for different types of disasters, check and see if there are any disaster response classes in your area offered by non-profits. Classes are good because they discuss the most likely types of disasters, hazards (e.g., earthquake fault lines), evacuation, preparation etc. I grew up in the Bay Area but no longer live there, the BA has it's own unique problems starting with the bridges. If you have a family, that's a huge concern especially if parents and children work and attend schools in different BA counties.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I'm not sure how sophisticated the NK's targeting will be. However, I'm sure the Russians have it covered. I live pretty much at the center of a 5 mile radius circle that includes:
A naval air station. Home base to three carriers.
The home port of the Pacific fleet.
A naval amphibious base. Navy seal training and seal team 1 HQ.
Submarine pens.
Marine corps recruit Depot.
So, working on the assumption that America's enemies have a significant proportion of their ballistic missile fleet aimed at my chimney, my preparedness plans in the event of nuclear war comprise making sure at least one whisky bottle is open so I don't waste precious seconds of the two minute warning tearing off the foil seal.

Chamber's empty, magazine's full, safety's broken.

highdesert wrote:You're smart to prepare for different types of disasters, check and see if there are any disaster response classes in your area offered by non-profits. Classes are good because they discuss the most likely types of disasters, hazards (e.g., earthquake fault lines), evacuation, preparation etc. I grew up in the Bay Area but no longer live there, the BA has it's own unique problems starting with the bridges. If you have a family, that's a huge concern especially if parents and children work and attend schools in different BA counties.
Great mention of classes! I've gone through CERT, and I've done wilderness first responder, EMT-B, and some fire fighting courses. Also a great resource is FEMA's online courses for free (though it's more for disaster response from agencies, less individuals, but great resource none the less). And yeah, bridges going out/any sort of road closure is my biggest concern.

Also, a great free online course I've done is this course on Disaster Preparedness on Coursera.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/disaster-preparedness

-BayAreaMidwesterner

Kayaker wrote:I'm in central Contra Costa County. I'm not going to worry about a nuke, because if that's the case we are all screwed anyway. I keep a "Get home bag" in my car. A little food, a complete change of clothes, space blanket, leather work gloves, fire starter, leatherman multi tool, rain gear, tooth brush etc. Some of this stuff has come in handy with minor emergencies already. I keep it all in a pack, if need be I could put it on and walk home.
At home, we have water and food for at least 30 days and of course guns and ammo, a generator and 15 gallons of gas, could run the geni or fill up a car to get out of town.
If things get serious, I would try to stay home and wait it out. If I have to head out, I've got friends in the Sierra foothills that would be happy to see me and my supplies.
Yeah, if it's really a nuke we're all screwed. But the possibility of an extreme attack/disaster under Trump just made me go through the same process (in a sense) growing up. If I'm prepared for a nuke (or zombies), then I'll be prepared for a lot of other more plausible scenarios.

But I am glad I live with a few hills between me and SF! Maybe I'll have an extra minute to enjoy some Buffalo Trace?

-BayAreaMidwesterner

I've done a number of the FEMA classes as well, there is some good info there, but definitely at the organizational level, not the personal level. With the current administration I'll admit to being more nervous than I have been- wife and I have been discussing it for a few weeks. Even thinking about digging a "wine cave" in the backyard as we're outside of the city far enough where it might help. But the usual- get home bag in the car with some essentials, food and water at the house.

I grew up out in the sticks as a kid, so what some people think of as "prepping" to me is just having stuff on hand for when the storm won't let you leave the house for a month. Now that I live in town though, we still garden, can, etc. Decided on a dual fuel generator as propane stores better than gas. Added solar this year as it saves money over paying PG&E, and at some point would like to add a battery backup as well. Our town was hit by a pretty bad earthquake in 2014, always one of the bigger concerns in the bay.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

BayAreaMidwesterner wrote: Maybe I'll have an extra minute to enjoy some Buffalo Trace?
-BayAreaMidwesterner
It's interesting that you mention Buffalo Trace whiskey in a thread about disaster prepping. I worked right next to the Buffalo Trace distillery (formerly Ancient Age). In fact my office was in one of their old whiskey warehouses. (Yes, the Kentucky Dept of Revenue was housed in an abandoned whiskey warehouse!!!!)

I served on the office safety committee, and, as such, gave thought to disaster prep. Turns out, whiskey warehouses, being built to support the weight of thousands of barrels of whiskey, are basically giant reinforced bunkers. As long as you get away from the windows, you can survive anything in them.

BayAreaMidwesterner, when I would step into my supervisors office, I could frequently see barrels of whiskey being rolled down a special track, to later be loaded into the warehouses. I'm sure one of those barrels contained the whiskey you're drinking now!!!
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hiker wrote:
BayAreaMidwesterner wrote: Maybe I'll have an extra minute to enjoy some Buffalo Trace?
-BayAreaMidwesterner
It's interesting that you mention Buffalo Trace whiskey in a thread about disaster prepping. I worked right next to the Buffalo Trace distillery (formerly Ancient Age). In fact my office was in one of their old whiskey warehouses. (Yes, the Kentucky Dept of Revenue was housed in an abandoned whiskey warehouse!!!!)

I served on the office safety committee, and, as such, gave thought to disaster prep. Turns out, whiskey warehouses, being built to support the weight of thousands of barrels of whiskey, are basically giant reinforced bunkers. As long as you get away from the windows, you can survive anything in them.

BayAreaMidwesterner, when I would step into my supervisors office, I could frequently see barrels of whiskey being rolled down a special track, to later be loaded into the warehouses. I'm sure one of those barrels contained the whiskey you're drinking now!!!
That's awesome! Also, one of my favorite recommendations for emergency supplies is a nice bottle of booze (from the online disaster preparedness course I posted above). How was your experience on a safety committee? And it's funny how you mention it's like a giant bunker, I think buildings like that could EASILY turn into emergency shelters in large scale disasters (See Oroville Dam).

-BayAreaMidwesterner

Hi there,

I've been going through a similar process. Event ignoring the uncertain state of world politics, it makes sense to be prepared, especially if you live in the Bay Area. I never really thought about these things before November, but since then I have been taking a measured but serious approach to disaster preparedness. I live with my partner in a small studio apartment in SF and I consider myself a minimalist so I don't like having a lot of extra stuff around, so I'm not stockpiling a bunch of stuff.

My approach:
- learning first aid and putting together a decent first aid kit
- got my amateur radio license and a handheld radio
- storing enough food and water to get through a few days
- learned how to use a firearm and purchased a pistol and rifle
- put together a bug out bag with supplies I might need if I had to leave home for a few days
- planned some bicycle travel routes to get out of the city if necessary

I would rather put in a little effort now instead of looking back and wishing that I had, especially since I have a partner who I care about.

I would be interested in meeting up in person to talk about specifics. Send me a PM if you'd like to meet up!

-Noah

Los Angeles has been getting infrastructure upgrades to turn it into the worlds biggest concentration camp for decades. The 105W freeway was designed by Hughes to be a military staging area. Many of the underground metro stations are designed to be used as detaining areas for thousands of people. The main police buildings downtown have extensive underground facilities to be able to continue to operate post apocalyptically. Lake Casitas is designed to hold a truly awesome number of people for weeks at a time. And, of course, the freeways are fully monitored by video because they will be the "high ground". In a few words, unless you bug out before the National Guard settles in with their Andy Gumps, you aren't bugging out.

For a long time there were seriously awful looking barracks compounds out in the open desert with barbed wire around them and clearly zero services, so probably holding pens for people scooped up on the road. Don't know if they're still there. They were built right after the riot.

noahpb wrote:Hi there,

I've been going through a similar process. Event ignoring the uncertain state of world politics, it makes sense to be prepared, especially if you live in the Bay Area. I never really thought about these things before November, but since then I have been taking a measured but serious approach to disaster preparedness. I live with my partner in a small studio apartment in SF and I consider myself a minimalist so I don't like having a lot of extra stuff around, so I'm not stockpiling a bunch of stuff.

My approach:
- learning first aid and putting together a decent first aid kit
- got my amateur radio license and a handheld radio
- storing enough food and water to get through a few days
- learned how to use a firearm and purchased a pistol and rifle
- put together a bug out bag with supplies I might need if I had to leave home for a few days
- planned some bicycle travel routes to get out of the city if necessary

I would rather put in a little effort now instead of looking back and wishing that I had, especially since I have a partner who I care about.

I would be interested in meeting up in person to talk about specifics. Send me a PM if you'd like to meet up!

-Noah
Hey Noah, you have a great approach! You cover a lot of the needed basics (First aid, communications, food and water, etc)! I'd love to meet up and talk about specifics, and maybe see if we can get other members out for a beer or something? Talk about what we're doing/bounce ideas off each other?

1. First aid - check out Wilderness First Responder courses, they're a great class on advanced first aid/BLS. Not to the level of EMT (I'm EMT-B), but if you're not transporting someone you won't need to go to that level. Between WFR and BLS (CPR/AED) you'll have a great foundation!
2. I have my HAM license, and looking to set up a mobile CB and HAM in my truck. I was more active in the ARES/RACES group in southbay, but haven't gotten involved with the local group in my new location. What unit are you using? I have a Yaesu handheld, can't remember the model off the top of my head
3. I just ordered some coast guard rations, and some food from Legacy. It's pricey, but my fiance and I live between Devils slide tunnels and 92, so we can easily get cut off. This helps supplement our normal food. I'm meaning to get some 25 gallon water bottles, as soon as we're done rebuilding a storage unit on the property we're on.
4. I just picked up a couple fire arms, and will be picking up 1-2 more (I'd like to get more, but gotta pace myself. Honestly though, with the CA roster, I'm focusing on a few handguns in common calibers before Jan 1st when the roster expires).
5. I've got a bug out bag, but realize I need to check it once a month, make sure it's really good to go
6. I don't plan on traveling by bike, since we can easily be cut off by say a slide in case of an earthquake. But I know I can hike to various locations, and know back routes up to skyline, or north to my fiances parents house (probably our first go to location).

I'd say it's a bit easier for myself to prep, as I probably have more room and space for storage. Living in the city, and trying to plan/dedicate space for emergency supplies is a huge challenge with the limited space a lot of apartments have. I'd love to know more about the challenges you face!

I'll send a PM your way!

-BayAreaMidwesterner

I am in Oakland. I have food and water. I have been fighting nazis/white supremacists/klan/the republican party since I first encountered nazi skinheads at punkrock shows, right about the time everyone in my neighborhood was starting to die of AIDS. TEOTWAWKI brings the people who the TV talks to in to the rest of our world. I'm looking forward to the big BBQ when we eat everything in everybody's freezer before it goes bad.

Planning for a nuke? We are where most of capitalism's critical information infrastructure is based. Nigel's plan and mine only differ in that I'll probably loose a good 10 seconds of drinking time deciding which bottle.

Marlene wrote:I am in Oakland. I have food and water. I have been fighting nazis/white supremacists/klan/the republican party since I first encountered nazi skinheads at punkrock shows, right about the time everyone in my neighborhood was starting to die of AIDS. TEOTWAWKI brings the people who the TV talks to in to the rest of our world. I'm looking forward to the big BBQ when we eat everything in everybody's freezer before it goes bad.
We had a helluva block party after the earthquake! Ice cream first, BBQ second. Almost a week before anybody left the neighborhood.

BayAreaMidwesterner wrote:
Hey Noah, you have a great approach! You cover a lot of the needed basics (First aid, communications, food and water, etc)! I'd love to meet up and talk about specifics, and maybe see if we can get other members out for a beer or something? Talk about what we're doing/bounce ideas off each other?
I would definitely be up for this. Any other bay area folks interested in meeting up?

And my radio is an Icom ID-51A Plus handheld, really liking it so far.

-Noah

Hi Folks!

I'd love to meet up with some other Bay Area preppers to exchange ideas and pointers.

I got seriously bit by the prepper bug after the election in November. The wife and I both agree that anything involving the current administration is a crap shoot and that it would probably be a good idea to prepare for an emergency. I have no faith in our current federal government to manage a crisis or national emergency. Plus, living on the California coast in prime earthquake country is all the more reason to be prepared. I live just north of the Devil's Slide tunnel, in Pacifica, so if a big quake hits and HWY 1 is damaged going north and south then we're pretty much trapped. No telling how long it would take to re-open the roads. And Caltrans is not the most reliable even on the best of days.

I have a few firearms (two pistols and two .22 rifles) and about a 1 to 2 week food and water supply so far. I'm slowly building up to a 30 day supply.

I'm definitely open to any advice from other preppers.

Anybody up for meeting over a beer? The Devil's Slide Tap Room here in Pacifica has some mighty fine adult beverages!

noahpb wrote:
I would definitely be up for this. Any other bay area folks interested in meeting up?

-Noah
Peakskills LLC runs (IMO affordable) 2-day courses run partially in the outdoors, organized through a meetup.com group. I created a thread about this a while back and had no takers, but I am definitely interested.

p0lyhuman wrote:
noahpb wrote:

-Noah
Peakskills LLC runs (IMO affordable) 2-day courses run partially in the outdoors, organized through a meetup.com group. I created a thread about this a while back and had no takers, but I am definitely interested.
Hey p0lyhuman!

I've seen them before, but I was always hesitant about trying it because I haven't known anyone who has gone to them. I'd be interested, also if you haven't checked it out West Valley College has a great Park Management program that has courses in survival/Wildernerss First Response (It's Emergency Medical Responder + Wilderness first aid).

Would you be up for a meet up just to meet others interested in preparedness and a beer or coffee first? I'd love to get a group together for meeting and talking, seeing what people are interested in and their ideas.

-BayAreaMidwesterner

I have taken Wilderness 1st responder classes twice. Regular 1st aid classes basically teach you how to stabilize the victim until the paramedics arrive. WFR classes are much more in depth, teaching you more how to deal with the situation when paramedics aren't available. They are generally 2 full days of instruction and scenario training. I took it because of whitewater kayaking but the skills are useful in many scenarios.
I've had 2 occasions when I've used my learned skills, the scariest part was the people who either just stood and watched or the people who offered to help but clearly were more of a danger to the victim by helping.

As far as emergency food goes; You can get 20 lb. bags of rice and beans really cheap at Costco. They also have boxes of Mountain House freeze dried meals for reasonable prices. I keep a good supply in plastic tubs in my garage, next to 15 gallons of water in jugs that get drained and refilled once a year. Don't forget that you have more or less 40 gallons of usable water in your water heater, even the water in the back of the toilet is drinkable.

I also might be interested in meeting up with local folks on this board to talk about preparedness.

Oh, I think you're right to have elevated concerns these days. Natural disaster is a materrible of time. Geopolitical disaster? Your guess is as good as mine.

One recommendation to add to the first aid kit is the (affectionately known as) blow out kit. For when a bandaid won't suffice. Dried beans and white rice for the win on cheap, bulk, storage calories on a budget. Don't skimp on water storage. I suggest the humble bicycle as the urban bug out vehicle of choice (doesn't need gas and can go virtually anywhere).

Kayaker wrote: As far as emergency food goes; You can get 20 lb. bags of rice and beans really cheap at Costco.
I've been told that after sitting on the shelf long enough (a couple of years?) beans become somehow unusable. Anyone know if that is correct?

Given my bad habit of not rotating pantry items consistently, you'd think I'd already have run afoul of this problem on a small scale if it is real. I've had cans of tomatoes start leaking because they corroded from the inside out after >5 years. :rolleyes:
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Look into CERT/NERT. I got the training in Sacramento, which included Emergency Medical Responder training. When I settle down in SF for a while I'll check out their program and see how it is.
EDIT: Should be free, or cheap (covering cost of textbooks for EMR class), these are usually administered through fire departments. You're essentially trained how to be more self-sufficient in the event of a natural disaster, and how to more safely be an auxiliary for emergency services during a disaster.

Buck13 wrote:
Kayaker wrote: As far as emergency food goes; You can get 20 lb. bags of rice and beans really cheap at Costco.
I've been told that after sitting on the shelf long enough (a couple of years?) beans become somehow unusable. Anyone know if that is correct?

Given my bad habit of not rotating pantry items consistently, you'd think I'd already have run afoul of this problem on a small scale if it is real. I've had cans of tomatoes start leaking because they corroded from the inside out after >5 years. :rolleyes:
I'm not good about rotating my stock, either, which leads to some waste which is a shame.

Dry beans and dry pasta are great for long term storage as they last almost indefinitely. But about those beans: It's not so much that they go bad after a long time, it's that they don't reconstitute fully. You can soak 'em for days, but you will still end up with relatively hard beans if they have been lying about for years. (Which may not amount to a hill of beans if you are really in an emergency and are also really hungry)
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six