First aid for gunshot wounds

Last night I took a short training class in first aid for gunshot wounds. We learned how and if to use a tourniquet, how to pack a wound to stop the bleeding, how to patch chest wounds and burp the chest in case of air build up in the chest cavity, etc. It was quite interesting and although I hope I never have to use this knowledge I feel better for knowing it. (I also now have an excuse to spend money on a first aid kit with the supplies I need.)

If anyone is interested, the group teaching the class is Texas Law Shield, and they offer the class online, as well as offering a pretty decent looking book with more detailed information. You can find them here:

https://2ainstitute.com/online-course.php
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Re: First aid for gunshot wounds

featureless wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:51 am
DavidMS wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:27 am A few weeks ago, I took a class from Dark Angel Medical (http://darkangelmedical.com/). It covered most traumatic injuries. Really glad I took it and hope to never use what I learned.
If you have time, I'd love a more thorough review. I've thought about trying to organize one of these.
It was a two day class. I advise staying in a nearby hotel to minimize the travel/commute time. Its a lot of information for me to pour into my eyes and ears each day. On the first day we covered the basics of trauma and trauma care including various items in a civilian trauma kit. We also covered how to treat most injury types. On the second day, we went over remaining injury types and in then spent the first part of the afternoon doing various skill stations and then a series of scenarios. I would recommend it. Only complaint is that I need to take more notes next time.

DavidMS wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:36 pm
featureless wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:51 am
DavidMS wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:27 am A few weeks ago, I took a class from Dark Angel Medical (http://darkangelmedical.com/). It covered most traumatic injuries. Really glad I took it and hope to never use what I learned.
If you have time, I'd love a more thorough review. I've thought about trying to organize one of these.
It was a two day class. I advise staying in a nearby hotel to minimize the travel/commute time. Its a lot of information for me to pour into my eyes and ears each day. On the first day we covered the basics of trauma and trauma care including various items in a civilian trauma kit. We also covered how to treat most injury types. On the second day, we went over remaining injury types and in then spent the first part of the afternoon doing various skill stations and then a series of scenarios. I would recommend it. Only complaint is that I need to take more notes next time.
I have a few more things that I though of. The training only covered that which a civilian can do under good Samaritan laws. This covers about 90% of treatable injuries that if not treated will be fatal (Hemorrhage, Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Brain and Exposure/Environment). Stuff like needle decompression is not covered for that reason. Just put some chest seals the victim and let the paramedics deal with the decompression issues. The training is based on TCCC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_ ... ualty_care) and is the subset that can be performed by civilians.

Recently, I went shooting with a much more skilled friend. He carried a gunshot wound kit to the range and suggested that I should NEVER go shooting without one.
What do you all think of that, and what kind of kit would you recommend?
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:53 pm Recently, I went shooting with a much more skilled friend. He carried a gunshot wound kit to the range and suggested that I should NEVER go shooting without one.
I carry a tourniquet, chest seal and Israeli bandage in my range bag. Typically, this is referred to as a "blow out kit" specifically for bullet wounds to stop a heavy bleed or seal up a sucking chest wound (both decrease your chances of getting to the hospital on time!). It's quite a bit different than the band-aides in your standard first aid kit. I still need to get better training.

featureless wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:41 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:53 pm Recently, I went shooting with a much more skilled friend. He carried a gunshot wound kit to the range and suggested that I should NEVER go shooting without one.
I carry a tourniquet, chest seal and Israeli bandage in my range bag. Typically, this is referred to as a "blow out kit" specifically for bullet wounds to stop a heavy bleed or seal up a sucking chest wound (both decrease your chances of getting to the hospital on time!). It's quite a bit different than the band-aides in your standard first aid kit. I still need to get better training.
I know what a tourniquet is, but the other things I can only imagine.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Chest seal is fancy duct tape. If your chest cavity gets punctured (bullet, knife, stick, whatever), your lungs/diaphragm don't operate as intended so you can't breath. The seal covers the hole. Sometimes, it's necessary to compress the chest cavity to remove air so the whole "bellows" thing can work. Some seals come with a valve to help accomplish this and some are a "lift, compress, seal" kind of deal. Breathing is good.

The Israeli bandage is sort of like gauze and tape together. It allows pressure to be applied to a wound to slow/stop bleeding without the need to hold it. Kind of like a tourniquet, but different (less pressure, more padding).

http://darkangelmedical.com/bandages/

danhue wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:18 pm As a serious shooter wannabe, I need to get into that as well. Thanks for the info.
My best advice is to take a class. I took one from Dark Angel Medical but there are others that are equally good.

In the class, we got to look at various bandage types. I prefer the OLAES. The Israeli bandage is good but not as versatile as the OLAES. It includes a plastic sheet that can be used as an occlusive dressing and the pressure bar includes a plastic cup that can be cut out to protect an injured eye. https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/OLAES-Modular-Bandage.

Chest seals can be improvised from a shopping bag and duct tape but its better to not have to improvise.

I recently purchased a ankle carry rig from Dark Angel. Its not a good choice for me at this point as all of my pants are not cut particularity well to conceal it.

DavidMS wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:03 am Chest seals can be improvised from a shopping bag and duct tape but its better to not have to improvise.
Better not to improvise, but there are a TON of options. One thing I remember from decades-old AF 'first aid and buddy care' classes is that drivers licenses, ID cards, or anything in the wallet or purse that's laminated (plus some tape) is all we need.

AndyH wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:09 pm
DavidMS wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:03 am Chest seals can be improvised from a shopping bag and duct tape but its better to not have to improvise.
Better not to improvise, but there are a TON of options. One thing I remember from decades-old AF 'first aid and buddy care' classes is that drivers licenses, ID cards, or anything in the wallet or purse that's laminated (plus some tape) is all we need.
What I've been taught is that it's best not to need to improvise on some of these things. Sure, you can. But you're brain won't be working all that well under the circumstances so KISS applies here. The manufactured chest seals have the advantage that they are designed to stick/seal even in less than ideal circumstances (blood, and there will most likely be blood, is sticky, slippery stuff). Medical tape and duct tape may work but they may not stick, given the site application. Chest seals are cheap insurance and the most likely to work if/when you need them to.

featureless wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:51 pm
AndyH wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:09 pm
What I've been taught is that it's best not to need to improvise on some of these things. Sure, you can. But you're brain won't be working all that well under the circumstances so KISS applies here. The manufactured chest seals have the advantage that they are designed to stick/seal even in less than ideal circumstances (blood, and there will most likely be blood, is sticky, slippery stuff). Medical tape and duct tape may work but they may not stick, given the site application. Chest seals are cheap insurance and the most likely to work if/when you need them to.
No problem - I agree that if you've got a commercial seal, then go for it! I personally don't want to have my thought process locked into only 1 'right' answer when there are others. Our training was based on being able to save a life regardless of how or where the injury occurred. Use what you've got to save a life - even if that's a drivers license held on with a hand, and worry about the 'technique points from the Russian judge' later. ;)