Re: What the deuce is "green tip" rifle ammo?

The outdoor ranges near me don't get bent out of shape about (X)M855 or clones thereof. Indoors, always gotta go with 193.

Sidebar: The X in XM855 means "rejected" as in the ammunition in the box wasn't up to spec. Basically an inspector at the Lake City plant pulled some samples from the run, saw something wrong, and voided the entire run for military use. It could be something as simple as a few rounds didn't have enough green paint on the tips. So, what happens then is all those rounds are bought back from the government by ATK, and then repackaged and resold to us.

Don't let it scare you though, the rounds are every bit as good as the M855 ones. The rejection order usually comes because of cosmetic, not functional reasons.

Actually "passed" M855 is harder to come by since it's always destined to the military, and per an executive order by Clinton in the 1990s, the military isn't allowed to sell surplus ammunition direct to the public anymore.

pod wrote:The outdoor ranges near me don't get bent out of shape about (X)M855 or clones thereof. Indoors, always gotta go with 193.

Sidebar: The X in XM855 means "rejected" as in the ammunition in the box wasn't up to spec. Basically an inspector at the Lake City plant pulled some samples from the run, saw something wrong, and voided the entire run for military use. It could be something as simple as a few rounds didn't have enough green paint on the tips. So, what happens then is all those rounds are bought back from the government by ATK, and then repackaged and resold to us.

Don't let it scare you though, the rounds are every bit as good as the M855 ones. The rejection order usually comes because of cosmetic, not functional reasons.

Actually "passed" M855 is harder to come by since it's always destined to the military, and per an executive order by Clinton in the 1990s, the military isn't allowed to sell surplus ammunition direct to the public anymore.
Thanks for the tip, hadn't known that!
some days, I just don't English

ATF is working on banning M855/SS109 as armor piercing. Personally, I don't care since the stuff isn't exactly what I'd call "accurate" for sport or bench. I guess that steel core got up somebody's behind at the Bureau.

NRA/ILA is flipping out over the proposal. People in Texas (my home state) say they need it to hunt hogs. Well, Christ in a go-cart, if I were hunting wild hogs I wouldn't be caught with anything under .308. Those beasts can weigh in at 500+ pounds and have a very bad attitude.

So now we're starting to see M855 at inflated prices as the flippers try to make a buck a round on a doomed cartridge. For target, though, I will stick with 64gr-70gr .223. If you want cheap, M193 is still being made and sold at very reasonable prices.