Ammo storage tips, got any?

Finally starting to find ammo! My current storage is secure, but I was wondering if I should have any special considerations. I've come to the conclusion that I'll need to keep more on hand than just for a few range trips. Any storage tips and suggestions appreciated!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Ammo storage tips, got any?

Might I ask a question...showing my newb'ness here. Please remember I only just took my basic course, and I have no firearm experience prior. The course instructor explained that thieves don't look in the kitchen, therefore a good hiding place would be the kitchen, if you are in a position that you are someplace where carrying would be inappropriate and have to leave your gun home or are needing to store your weapon for a longer period.

That said, let us assume that I have one of those vacuum seal bag machines. Is it safe for my weapon and/or ammo to store them in the vacuum sealed bag in my freezer or refrigerator ?? S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
First of all, let's call it what it really is...It's not a gun buy-back, because the government never owned them. It's a gun turn in.

Dunno that I'd go the fridge route for a few reasons. First, remember that it's common wisdom that people put cash in the freezer. (Not sure why that started) So thieves may well go through the fridge, at least a quick glance. Second, I'd be concerned about condensation- vacuum sealer might fix the issue, but then you run into accessibility issues- having to cut open a bag before getting to it. Lastly, I'd also be concerned about lubrication performance. Probably fine, but lube thickens up for sure at lower temps....

That being said, you might want to put in a magnetic strip or something in the cabinet under the sink- I'm sure there are some quick access products designed just for that type of application.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I throw everything not in crates in 50-cal ammo boxes with dessicant, which makes a tasty snack while in the ammo storage facility updating the inventory.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

shinzen wrote:Dunno that I'd go the fridge route for a few reasons. First, remember that it's common wisdom that people put cash in the freezer. (Not sure why that started) So thieves may well go through the fridge, at least a quick glance. Second, I'd be concerned about condensation- vacuum sealer might fix the issue, but then you run into accessibility issues- having to cut open a bag before getting to it. Lastly, I'd also be concerned about lubrication performance. Probably fine, but lube thickens up for sure at lower temps....
He might be trying to store an AK. If that's the case, I think he's GTG.

Well, crap...the video didn't show the freeze testing.
LGC Texas - Vice President

Once again, I thank you for your reply. As I said,I know very little. I knew that there would be some issues with it. I knew that there might be something regarding the condensation, even with the sealed bags.

I have other places that I would choose to "hide" it. Of course, that is provided that I am not carrying it. My employer has specific prohibitions on firearms. They are not even allowed in our vehicle, in a lock box (assuming that they would even know...) so I would likely not have it then. He kinda made me paranoid about a gun safe, unless bolted to the floor, is gonna be stolen.

You all are the greatest!!! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
First of all, let's call it what it really is...It's not a gun buy-back, because the government never owned them. It's a gun turn in.

You only have a few handguns, right? If so, you might consider getting a small biometric or push button safe for the handguns. Bolt it to the floor or wall and keep the guns in there. This will keep them safe from young, inquisitive visitors. It may not stop a committed burglar but it will deter someone doing a quick pass through the house.

Surplus 5.56 ammo cans can be locked easily. Also air-tight.

Cut some of the latching plate so that a u-bolt attached to the can will fit through. They are like a buck at the hardware store. Back both sides with washers and only a crowbar will open the damn things once padlocked.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

That info was so handy, I bookmarked it. Useful info.

Currently I have zero guns. I am putting together the stupidly ridiculous amount of money that Ct charges to get ones pistol permit. And with the laws rewritten after Newtown, it's even more onerus. One cannot even purchase a handgun or ammo now without a certificate of eligibility and a permit. Thereby robbing legal gun owners of another $35 fee.

Fees are:

$100 -- course
$35 -- eligibility certificate
$16.5 x 2 for fingerprint
$75 for temporary permit
$75 for full permit
-----------------------
$318 for the entire process. And then I can buy my gun. And here in CT they jack up the prices so much - the Glock 17 my brother bought for my son cost him $350 in Florida. Up here, $700.

So - with both the spouse and me doing this, you are talking $636 for the two of us. We've already paid for the course and taken it. So now it's just coming up with the $436 to do the rest of it. We came very close to having to sell the Mustang and file bankruptcy earlier this year. It's taken a lot of hard work and corner cutting -- overtime and a whole bunch of doing things on a shoestring budget, but we managed to keep it together - so we are being smart about it - and putting the few extra dollars away every pay period and not taking money that we should be using to pay the mortgage and get the permits.

Cat litter. Some brands, both national and generic, are 100% silica gel. A five or ten pound bag is relatively cheap compared to hobby shop silica gel.

Depending upon humidity it may be wise, when cooling the regenerated silica gel, to seal the container it's in to minimize the absorption of atmospheric moisture. Of course one would not want to seal the container while heating the gel...just while cooling it.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

christianne wrote:That info was so handy, I bookmarked it. Useful info.

Currently I have zero guns. I am putting together the stupidly ridiculous amount of money that Ct charges to get ones pistol permit. And with the laws rewritten after Newtown, it's even more onerus. One cannot even purchase a handgun or ammo now without a certificate of eligibility and a permit. Thereby robbing legal gun owners of another $35 fee.

Fees are:

$100 -- course
$35 -- eligibility certificate
$16.5 x 2 for fingerprint
$75 for temporary permit
$75 for full permit
-----------------------
$318 for the entire process. And then I can buy my gun. And here in CT they jack up the prices so much - the Glock 17 my brother bought for my son cost him $350 in Florida. Up here, $700.

So - with both the spouse and me doing this, you are talking $636 for the two of us. We've already paid for the course and taken it. So now it's just coming up with the $436 to do the rest of it. We came very close to having to sell the Mustang and file bankruptcy earlier this year. It's taken a lot of hard work and corner cutting -- overtime and a whole bunch of doing things on a shoestring budget, but we managed to keep it together - so we are being smart about it - and putting the few extra dollars away every pay period and not taking money that we should be using to pay the mortgage and get the permits.
Sounds like you do not really have RKBA in CT but rather the ability to purchase the privilege to own firearms, provided you can afford it.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ