Re: New, easier availability of 7.62 Rooskie

shinzen wrote:I have found one of the downsides to the VZ-58, at the range anyway. I have recovered maybe 10% of my brass thanks to the upward/forward brass ejection........ Going to have to figure out how to mount a brass catcher on the damned thing. Or shoot more cheap ammo.
I'm thinking here's your ninja challenge, to snag them out of the air, drop inna basket, and get back on target in rhythm with the cycle.

So, I shoot bolt actions and get right on that cycle, eh? ;-0

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I'm not quite ninja enough to pull off the ol' grab em out of the air trick. Seems than at my new indoor range the RO is a pretty mellow dude. Might just let me use the broom to sweep the little bastards from out in front of me if I ask and explain why.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

CowboyT wrote:
wlewisiii wrote:All semi-autos are harder on brass than something that ejects based on your manual power - lever, bolt, etc - because it's powered but the action of the of the firearm. That said, some can be far worse than others. Roller-locked rifles (CETME, G3) require fluted actions to extract properly and that fluting destroys brass. From what I've seen you won't reload any of it.By that standard the M1 & SKS are pussycats to their brass.
You can reload for CETME-pattern rifles. What really hurts them the most, though, is that the case mouths don't get dinged, but rather crushed, during ejection. I'm talkin' serious bending-in of the case mouth. The rubber "port buffer" that snaps on the outside makes it more like an M1 or M1A.

Since the original posting was about 7.62x54R, those with SVD's or similar semi-automatic rifles in this chambering will probably see similar brass ding-ups like an M1A. For such rifles, military surplus is a very good way to go, provided that the milsurp ammo remains inexpensive. As I mentioned, for the bolt-action Mosin, it's also a good way to go, but neck-sized brass will certainly last longer in a Mosin vs. full-length resizing for a semi-auto.

To "cure" those dented case mouths from my M1 I use a Lee decapping tool. It is meant for removing primers that have been crimped in place & consists of a base and a rod with a decapping pin. Add a hammer & you are in business. The rod is tapered, so a 30 cal set will open up & round out a case mouth, most of the time. If it is severely dented/crushed, I use the set intended for 5.56; the 22 cal rod has always worked for me - but case life may be short if that much damage has been done.
Merle from PA