Where's the .22 ammo?

Here in Eastern Idaho, it would seem that with the exception of rimfire ammo, all other types, or rather most other types are again available for sale......but there is still NO .22 ammo.

If this keeps up, there is going to be a shitload of .22's go up for sale. Is it just a local thing here, or is this still a problem for most of the rest of the country?
The most practical kind of politics is the politics of decency.
Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Where's the .22 ammo?

Dick's Sporting Goods in northern California has Federal 325 round boxes, but are out of Remington 525 round boxes. I think the pent up demand requires satisfaction, so I expect to see a glut of .22LR pretty soon, hopefully driving prices down.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I'm seeing it pop up on armslist for near pre-panic prices occasionally. Saw a bucket o' bullets (1400) going for $100 or so. It's around with persistence if you need it. The local Turners has it in stock, but is reserving it for folks who buy new guns so they can get some enjoyment.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

When I ordered my Glock 10mm, the salesman warned me that ammo will be very hard to find and I will likely find myself having to reload for it. Well, I hunted around the valley and found three boxes of CCI Blazer and I got online and ordered another 600 rounds from Underwood and I did this the first week I owned it. Now, most local Idaho shops I walk into has 10mm ammo. There is even stacks of 357 Sig ammo....but no .22. One local shop has a fair bit of .22 ammo but you have to buy a .22 rifle/handgun to get it and even then, the limit is two boxes. That pissed me off so guess what, I refuse to shop there anymore and that is where I have bought a number of guns, including my Glock 10mm I bought this past Fall.

BTW off topic but, I am saving up money to buy my next Glock: a Gen 4 m32 357 Sig.
The most practical kind of politics is the politics of decency.
Theodore Roosevelt

The mall ninjas who bought assault rifle lookin' .22s are still hoarding it. Ya never know when the zombie apocalypse will arrive!
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

...it's still hard to come by in these parts (OH-KY-IN). I've seen Mini-Mags a couple of times in Walmart but passed it by the last time. I've got plenty and haven't been shooting much this year.
"Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism. Our lives will have to change if we want to save life from self-destruction." ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn

Haven't seen any on the shelves here in VA in awhile, but I'm also not too fussed over it. The ammo cabinet is nearly full at a local Wal-Mart, except for the .22s, but there's no shortage ... the guy at the counter said that every week they come in, and folks are at the door to buy them the moment they open.

I'm guessing that .22s are really the only ammo left out there (in the aftermath of the recent election-hangover panic) that people are still hoarding/gouging. That bubble will burst soon enough, as they all do. I've picked up a little here and there, and generally try to keep my usage to a practical minimum, so I'm basically just waiting it out ... and not trying too hard to get hold of any, because I don't want to end up contributing to the continuation of this foolishness.

Prices on .22 firearms haven't dropped, so far as I can tell ... but it is a pretty crappy time to get your kids into shooting.

whitey wrote:Isn't CCI manufactured in Idaho?

Meanwhile I have over 5000 rounds of .22 sitting at home that I haven't touched in almost two years :confused:

Can't even do 22 with the shoulder?
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:
whitey wrote:Isn't CCI manufactured in Idaho?

Meanwhile I have over 5000 rounds of .22 sitting at home that I haven't touched in almost two years :confused:

Can't even do 22 with the shoulder?
Shoulder has been getting better, not as much pain. The hang up is getting home and the time off to shoot. Since I got back from vacation labor day weekend I haven't been home but maybe 2 or 3 days :thumbsdown:
*DISCLAIMER* This post may have been made from a barstool.

.22 LR and .22 WMR is typically still not in the stores here in North Va and even in the Shenandoah Valley, including the Dicks, County Coops, Gander Mountain, and Bass Pro. Sometimes you can get lucky but it is rare to find it on the shelves. Wally World just doesn't have it unless you get there before 0800 and then only episodically.

Midway's prices are still close to reasonable - when they have it in stock. Shipping is the issue, but they are very reliable. The other prices on Gunbot, except for Gander, Cabelas, and Bass Pro, are in gouge territory - literally 2-4X times what the stuff is worth. Some of these guys appear to have little shame. Prices on Gunbroker are also high. Absurd is a better word.

The gun shows for the dealers are coming up - they have been promised all the Rimfire they can carry or load when they show up, so someone is sitting on it until then for sure. IN the meantime, I know folks with 100K rounds of all kinds of CCI and Federal - what the hell they plan to do with it I do not know. Some of them think when the shit hits the fan it will be a money substitute. They do not seem to realize they will have far bigger problems if that every happens.

Personally, I can easily shoot 3-500 rounds with my rim fires on a good range day - few and far between this time of year. It is relaxing, non-taxing and rewarding. Occasionally I shoot at a ground hog and score. Last week it was a pesky red fox with a CCI .22 WMR HP+ 30 g (CX 452 Lux - 2200 FPS round) that caused him to almost explode (70m or so). But, not sure how much ammo is enough.

This is a pet peeve of mine. I do not buy ammo unless the price is reasonable, which means I watch for the big stores and buy it when they have it.

I just recently ordered a 300-round box of Winchester from Cabela's at around 6 cents a round.

Then a week or so later found some 550-round bricks of Federal at Walmart at about 5 cents a round. Neither of these lasted long, but I haven't seen Walmart get any of these in stock in months. Sometimes it seems like it's improving, sometimes it seems like it's getting worse.

I've got enough for a few range trips, and I'm trying not to hoard. I'll shoot all these up for sure, and probably won't go on the hunt for more until I start getting low.

I accumulated about 10,000 rounds before the whackiness. Mostly CCI SV with about 1500 Minimags and a couple thousand of the good stuff (Wolf Match Target and Match Extra). I still have about 6000 rounds left and, given our weather lately, will still have plenty for next season.

nmTom wrote:Occasionally I shoot at a ground hog and score. Last week it was a pesky red fox...
Wow, you got fox there? The coyotes have done in most of them in these parts. Not sure I could bring myself to kill a fox these days.
"Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism. Our lives will have to change if we want to save life from self-destruction." ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn

I was at the Ft Myers gun show on saturday and "the bulk ammo guy" told me the factories wont even sell to him, they will only sell to bass pro and walmart. He had to 45-50 cents per round match grade stuff. No Bueno.

However... in nov of last year I got a bucket -o and I still have a few range trips for my daughter. But she's getting more into shooting my AR now that I have the compensator and the rubber pad on my stock. If we're gonna shoot $.50/round... it oughta be center fire, IMO.
E pluribus unum

I haven't looked extensively for .22LR ammunition, given that I had around 6000 rounds of it before the NRA decided to create another panic over a ban that had no chance of happening in order to maximize the profits of firearm and ammunition manufacturers. Far-right fear mongers bought it up (along with everything else) early last year, for they thought that the "Kenyan-Nazi-Muslim-Communist-[racial epithet censored]" in the Oval Office was going to actually succeed in his anti-gun efforts. To make matters worse, the panic unfolded just when people were getting their tax returns; the purchasing power of the fear mongers was increased as a result.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some people with no intentions of hoarding end up snatching up .22LR whenever they see it on the shelves, given that they probably haven't been able to find it for some time. In all honesty, things are getting to the point where we are going to have to "panic buy" against the "panic buyers" when prices bottom out; the Republicans have burned every bridge there is to be burned with important demographic groups (Hispanics, LGBT, blacks), so I feel a 2016 presidential victory for them is unlikely. As a result, I am expecting yet another panic to unfold in several years or so (especially if Hillary Clinton becomes president). I have a sizable collection, and I must resist the temptation to add even more guns to it; I must gradually accumulate ammunition and reloading components so I can enjoy my hobby when the panic mongers ruin things for many shooters yet again.

I cut back on my range visits during the height of the panic, and most of my shooting was done with .22LR and 5.45X39mm.

The biggest threat to RKBA comes from the far-right wing types, for they ruin the hobby for the rest of us with their panic mongering. They also make gun owners look bad, thereby making people ignorant of guns more "malleable" to anti-gun propaganda. :thumbsdown:
"I have been saying for some time now that America only has one party - the property party. It's the party of big corporations, the party of money. It has two right-wings; one is Democrat and the other is Republican."
-Gore Vidal