Remington core-lokt and m1s

What do you folks make of this?

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=55710

I have a Garand incoming, but I ran into some ammo at Bass Pro. I knew that I needed to shoot 150gr ammo, but I missed the powder argument.

Now the rifle I have coming to me does have an adjustable gas plug, but the setting it's currently at makes it single shot (or so I am told), and I really want to get the full experience.

Thoughts from you Garand wizards?

Re: Remington core-lokt and m1s

I'm also waiting on a CMP Garand. I just ordered up box of the loose Greek stuff from CMP, which I've since received.
Why is your Garand coming with an adjustable plug? I didn't know that you could do that from CMP?
I looked through the thread but I had a hard time making much sense of it. I'll be interested to learn what you hear from others here.
By the way, is the Garand you have on order a CMP special, or is it one of the other grades? And, when did you put in your order? My order went out in August, and they warned it would be 120-160 days or something like that.
Can't wait..... :D
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

beaurrr wrote:I'm also waiting on a CMP Garand. I just ordered up box of the loose Greek stuff from CMP, which I've since received.
Why is your Garand coming with an adjustable plug? I didn't know that you could do that from CMP?
I looked through the thread but I had a hard time making much sense of it. I'll be interested to learn what you hear from others here.
By the way, is the Garand you have on order a CMP special, or is it one of the other grades? And, when did you put in your order? My order went out in August, and they warned it would be 120-160 days or something like that.
Can't wait..... :D
Private seller C&R, right place at right time.

If it's set now so that it doesn't cycle, then you should be able to twist the adjuster bit by bit, trying a shot each time, until it cycles properly. That's what the adjustable gas plug is for. Increase gas until it works. That's how you keep from getting too much gas, which is what mangles rifles.

Fukshot wrote:If it's set now so that it doesn't cycle, then you should be able to twist the adjuster bit by bit, trying a shot each time, until it cycles properly. That's what the adjustable gas plug is for. Increase gas until it works. That's how you keep from getting too much gas, which is what mangles rifles.
Yeah, did some more reading on the adjustable plug. Guess I have some work to do when it gets here.

Here is a good article on the advisability of shooting commercial hunting ammo in an M1 Garand.

http://www.garandgear.com/index.php?opt ... d&catid=39

Now, they're trying to sell their particular ported gas plug, but still, the article has some good comparative measurements and data.

So is there really a danger of damaging your op rod? Opinions are all over the map on this. I come down on the side of caution, and shoot only M2 Ball or commercial ammo that closely mirrors M2 Ball specs -- like this stuff, which I quite like:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/prvi-part ... ammo-pp347

However, I suspect you would be OK shooting most commercial stuff, as long as you stay away from elephant loads. But why chance it?

On a lark, I just ordered a Garand Gear ported gas plug, and might give it a try. I also have a Schuster gas plug somewhere that I have never installed.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Elmo wrote: However, I suspect you would be OK shooting most commercial stuff, as long as you stay away from elephant loads. But why chance it?
That is where I come down on the subject. Why chance it.

Even with the test data at the linked website...and that is a great website...you have to remember that the pressure of factory ammo can change from lot to lot.

Inquisitor wrote:Yeah, got the rifle, looked at the gas plug, will do the right thing and work it up to the right pressure with 1/4 turns.

It's going to be cold on Sunday.
You'll be glad you're wearing a heavy coat to soak up some of the recoil.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Simmer down wrote:
Inquisitor wrote:Yeah, got the rifle, looked at the gas plug, will do the right thing and work it up to the right pressure with 1/4 turns.

Meh, between the Mosin and the Enfield, the M1 is a pussycat.

Inquisitor wrote:
Simmer down wrote:

Meh, between the Mosin and the Enfield, the M1 is a pussycat.

Yeah...but you'll end up shooting more rounds with the Garand...;)

Elmo wrote:On a lark, I just ordered a Garand Gear ported gas plug, and might give it a try. I also have a Schuster gas plug somewhere that I have never installed.
When you get it, give a report - I've been thinking about one of those, and the data on the website looks convincing, but I haven't seen much in the way of real world info on how it works.