Ammunition Storage and Security

Something that has been weighing on my mind lately.

I'm moderately paranoid about my firearms getting stolen and used by shitbirds for shitbird purposes. When I take a trip I even go so far as to dismantle my firearms and remove firing pins and trigger control groups and bring them with me. I do this even though the firearms are stowed away in a moderately secure safe. I say moderate because determination plus time will defeat any physical security measure.

However, all my ammo is essentially just stacked up in a closet. At a guess I've 2-3K rounds of up to 10 different calibers

My project for the new year is to come up with a storage solution that is:
  • Moderately secure
  • Reduces the hazard to firefighters should there be a fire
  • Allows reasonable access to the different calibers
Right now Im leaning towards lockable ammo cans, maybe even several of the 40mm size:

Reloading supplies isn't an issue as a live in a townhouse and it is understandably forbidden to reload in the State of Maryland if you live in attached housing.

I'm curious as to what any of our members have done with their own stockpiles of ammo.

I suspect a couple of you have an innovation I haven't thought of.
some days, I just don't English

Re: Ammunition Storage and Security

I took one of these:

and added one of these:

See the finger hole in the latch? You just enlarge that on either side. Mark the ammo can. Pop the top and install the u-bolt (be sure to use the washer!). Close the lid. If you did it right, the u-bolt will slip through the hole you created. Slap a padlock on and you're GTG.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote:Oh, when that fucker is full, it's a back-breaker. I wouldn't upsize you plan to move it while full. If you don't, then the weight will discourage people from moving it. You could bolt it to the floor too, if you want to get creative.
A full MK19 ammo can has a max load of 165 pounds. Don't need to bolt that to a floor. :)

senorgrand wrote:I took one of these:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3 ... SY300_.jpg

and added one of these:

http://www.hardwin.in/images/products/pdt35.jpg

See the finger hole in the latch? You just enlarge that on either side. Mark the ammo can. Pop the top and install the u-bolt (be sure to use the washer!). Close the lid. If you did it right, the u-bolt will slip through the hole you created. Slap a padlock on and you're GTG.
Yes, that's one option I was considering, may even just get some fat-fifty ammo can and modify them. We used to spot weld standard padlock hasps under that flap and widen the hole as you describe, The U-bolt looks to be a better option since I don't currently have any welding gear nor plan to get any.

My locking cabinet has two sides- one for my rifles, the other smaller side for pistols and ammo, inside ammo cans for the most part. Prior to the cabinet, it was just sitting in the closet in ammo cans though.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

senorgrand wrote:I gotta pick up a small and large can for primers and powder (respectively).

I bought my last ones for $12 and $18 at the Army Navy store a LONG time ago. Now Amazon wants $26 and $30. Anywhere cheaper?

They run about $20 at Cabelas, Cheaper than Dirt, Sportsmans Guide. There were tons of $10 deals after black Friday but they're long gone.

ETA: $16 but shipping may eat into that: http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product ... ductID=920

BassPro: $20 each shipping for 3 cans is ~$10, best deal I can find, most shipping is at least $20 sometimes approaching $30, the cans are heavy and bulky.
http://www.basspro.com/BLACKHAWK!-The-C ... L_HOMEPAGE

The "rule" is to keep primers and powder separate and in wooden cabinets that will allow the pressure to blow it apart if there is a fire.

I keep my powders in a tupperware tub and my primers in a small wooden box with a hinged lid. Neither will turn into a bomb in the case of fire.

As for loaded ammo, I store it in GI cans in the basement. Not locked up in any way.

The guns are locked in a cabinet - not a safe - in the attic - three floors away. Anyone with a crowbar could probably get it open pretty quickly. But they would have to go all the way up through the house first.
-+-+-+-+
"Nothing exists except atoms and empty space. Everything else is just opinion." -Democritus 
-+-+-+-+-
Come check out my custom 1911 grips and other wooden items at my Etsy store.

For a few guns, this little number is very attractive because it goes into a wall between the 16" studs. A simple IKEA picture or mirror on a piano hinge and the thing will disappear.

The strength of security with something like this will rely on keeping it secret.

About $140 made by "Homak"
"il corporativismo è la pietra angolare dello Stato fascista" Translated, this means: "boom-shacka-lacka-lacka,-boom-boom-boom.

As far as secure ammo storage, I'll be looking for ideas here. The stuff's unfortunately large and bulky. How do you hide ten .50 cal cans? :hmmm:

ETA: Maybe a Stack-On cabinet? Just under 5" deep, 17" wide, 54" high???
Model # GCB-5300RTA

About $140. Gally-foooornia approved.
"il corporativismo è la pietra angolare dello Stato fascista" Translated, this means: "boom-shacka-lacka-lacka,-boom-boom-boom.

Most of my small stash of ammo is in ammo cans locked in a closet but for my Mosin ammo, which is designed to be stored inside fascists. To placate the bullets, I store them in another closet where I've stashed a k98 bayo with a broken tip...

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

MudPuppy98 wrote:
senorgrand wrote:Oh, when that fucker is full, it's a back-breaker. I wouldn't upsize you plan to move it while full. If you don't, then the weight will discourage people from moving it. You could bolt it to the floor too, if you want to get creative.
A full MK19 ammo can has a max load of 165 pounds. Don't need to bolt that to a floor. :)
Lots of us can do that with one arm. There are products made specifically for adding locks to ammo cams. They usually involve drilling a single hole around the latch mechanism, and are generally inexpensive.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter