What is the longest reliable engagement distance of .308?

I'll preface this by saying that I am NOT a sniper (Internet or otherwise) and I am relatively new to the whole LR/ELR shooting game.

That said, what generally represents the maximum reliable envelope of .308? I've seen Youtube videos of a guy making repeated shots at 1,500 yards but at that point a .308 round seems like essentially lobbed artillery fire to me. Given the variables of an excellent shooter (not me), a very careful hand load, an excellent platform and ideal weather conditions, what, in your opinion, is the limit of engagement of this round?

(.22 TCM - 9x19 - .357 Mag - 10mm - .45 ACP - .44 Mag - 7.62x39 - .308 Winchester - 7.62x54R - 12ga)

Re: What is the longest reliable engagement distance of .308

A friend of mine has a 1000 yd range on his farm and for two years worked with a National match grade M1A with a scope that cost him more than the rifle. His daughter can hit at 1000yds 16 out of 20 shots and he can do better if the wind is right but he feels that his rig is good for 800yds max.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Wabatuckian wrote:The Finnish M39 Mosin, which takes 7.62x54r, is the previous generation of bolt action rifle.

It had a rear sight set up to account for spin drift.

When you consider this was 1939 and prior (some standards held for the M27 ,d M28), you start seeing the potential of modern rifles.

Josh
Is there any published material on the fine workings of the M39 sights?

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I figured that I just needed more practice after watching this guy take consistent 1600 meter shots at a man sized target with an old Mosin sniper. He doesn't hit the target, but he's close enough that I assume it's because he can't see the target very well with the little 4x scope.

http://vimeo.com/84992247

When my brother started deer hunting, he bought a cheap rifle, expensive ammo, and an expensive scope.
Brian

inomaha wrote:I figured that I just needed more practice after watching this guy take consistent 1600 meter shots at a man sized target with an old Mosin sniper. He doesn't hit the target, but he's close enough that I assume it's because he can't see the target very well with the little 4x scope.

http://vimeo.com/84992247

When my brother started deer hunting, he bought a cheap rifle, expensive ammo, and an expensive scope.
Ever watch this guys videos? https://www.youtube.com/user/mag30th
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

eelj wrote:A friend of mine has a 1000 yd range on his farm and for two years worked with a National match grade M1A with a scope that cost him more than the rifle. His daughter can hit at 1000yds 16 out of 20 shots and he can do better if the wind is right but he feels that his rig is good for 800yds max.
That's because it's an M1A. Too many moving parts and not able to hold as much pressure as a bolt gun. Plus tolerances on autos are too loose for as precise work that a bolt gun can do.
All problems can be solved with a copious amount of high explosives.