Range Safe Garand Food

Thought this was worth sharing for those in need of some non-magnetic range fodder for the Garand. $159 plus shipping from Wideners for 270 rounds- Korean Surplus. Ordered it on Friday (Over the phone, their website ordering has been disabled due to hackers), and it will be in tomorrow. Seems to be a good option if you can't shoot the CMP stuff at your local range due to fire hazards or backstop issues.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm? ... 18|830|850
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Re: Range Safe Garand Food

Got the spam can of Korean stuff in today. Out of the 270'ish rounds, only 8 were magnetic. But man, this stuff looks like and smells like it's been buried in the jungle for the last 30 years. I'm going to give it a wipe down before loading it up in the Garand- made my fingers black with grime just from sorting out the magnet attracting stuff. My UPS guy was not amused.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:Got the spam can of Korean stuff in today. Out of the 270'ish rounds, only 8 were magnetic. But man, this stuff looks like and smells like it's been buried in the jungle for the last 30 years. I'm going to give it a wipe down before loading it up in the Garand- made my fingers black with grime just from sorting out the magnet attracting stuff. My UPS guy was not amused.
Probably sat in some dank warehouse somewhere. The Greek stuff I got from CMP was likewise pretty gross. Are the primers non-corrosive? The CMP stuff is non corrosive, except for the rounds that aren't!
My UPS guy was cool with the heavy shit I was ordering, until he had to deliver the pine box with two 880-spam cans of 7.62 ruskie. He wasn't so congenial after that one. :no:
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Says that some of it may be corrosive. I'm trying to track down the headstamps that are so that I can sort it accordingly. I wish the Greek stuff was non-magnetic so I could just use it, but I bought the Garand to shoot, not to sit in the safe!
- Maya Angelou

The CMP stuff is either Greek HXP, which all steel core, and all non-corrosive, or it of late '40s or early '50 U.S. manufacture, which is possibly corrosive. One thing I can tell for sure is that the old stuff has a distinctly funky smell (when firing), maybe of chlorine.
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

This stuff depends on headstamp. From what I've read the KA headstamped stuff is pretty much all corrosive, and the PS stuff is not. When I get done working this afternoon, I'll go spend some time scrubbing it with some clp and checking the headstamps.
- Maya Angelou

Ok, looks like about 200 are KA-71, which is corrosive, the other 70 or so are PS-81, which is non-corrosive. No negative reports on the PS-81, so will bring some up to the meet so I don't have to worry about washing the salts out after the days event.
- Maya Angelou

I'd heard that, too. I have two rifles that shoot exclusively corrosive ammo, but I never really could get comfortable with the idea of dousing my steel and wood rifle with water. Just doesn't seem right. But then, those are bolt guns and there isn't much place for the bad stuff to hide, unlike the m1. Too bad you don't have an air compressor to blow the water out of the crevices and whatnot. I'm interested to hear what you decide.
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

fknauss wrote:Flush the bore, throw everything else in the dishwasher when you get home!
Whoa, man, what do think this is? Some kind of polymer and stainless Garand? :lol:
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

Oh, I do have one. Just one messy way to clean the rifle. We'll see, I suspect I won't be shooting much of it and will mostly be doing reloads. BTW, it is a National Match Op rod, and I installed the new ported gas plug, so will try to sneak out tomorrow afternoon to make sure she's functional before the meet this weekend.

Dishwasher? My Garand? It's not my Glock :lol:
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:BTW, it is a National Match Op rod,
Cool; they are a smidge tighter against the barrel...for accuracy.
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

beaurrr wrote:
fknauss wrote:Flush the bore, throw everything else in the dishwasher when you get home!
Whoa, man, what do think this is? Some kind of polymer and stainless Garand? :lol:
Just follow the water flush with a rinse of 90% alcohol and that will displace any remaining water...or that "Gun Scrubber" shit will do the same at 3x the price...but do break the rifle down first, unless one wants to refinish the stock again...and again...and again.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

beaurrr wrote:The CMP stuff is either Greek HXP, which all steel core, and all non-corrosive, or it of late '40s or early '50 U.S. manufacture, which is possibly corrosive. One thing I can tell for sure is that the old stuff has a distinctly funky smell (when firing), maybe of chlorine.
For the record, HXP isn't steel core, it just has just enough trace iron in the jacket to attract a magnet. And it all draws a magnet except for the stuff made in 1964, and a bit in '65 and '66. I lucked up last year and got a shipment that had 180 out of 202 rounds non-magnetic '64.

ElTigre wrote:
beaurrr wrote:The CMP stuff is either Greek HXP, which all steel core, and all non-corrosive, or it of late '40s or early '50 U.S. manufacture, which is possibly corrosive. One thing I can tell for sure is that the old stuff has a distinctly funky smell (when firing), maybe of chlorine.
For the record, HXP isn't steel core, it just has just enough trace iron in the jacket to attract a magnet. And it all draws a magnet except for the stuff made in 1964, and a bit in '65 and '66. I lucked up last year and got a shipment that had 180 out of 202 rounds non-magnetic '64.
Thanks for that clarification. Just when I thought I knew it all.....
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

Ok, good news. It all went bang. Wanted to do a quick function check on the Garand before the meet up on Saturday, and put a couple of clips of the non-corrosive stuff downrange. Zero issues! Man I love the Garand. I suck with it at the moment, but doesn't change the fact that it's a seriously sweet rifle.
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:Ok, good news. It all went bang. Wanted to do a quick function check on the Garand before the meet up on Saturday, and put a couple of clips of the non-corrosive stuff downrange. Zero issues! Man I love the Garand. I suck with it at the moment, but doesn't change the fact that it's a seriously sweet rifle.
Right on!
Do you shoot with a usgi sling? I'm a fairly crappy shot, but that's what keeps me on the paper at 100 yards....until I get tired. A nine-and-a-half pound 30 aught six wears me down pretty fast. Furthermore, I have NO idea where my sights are pointing. I was having too much fun blasting away to care.

:bananadance:
Last edited by beaurrr on Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

Well. Managed to forget my ammo can at the house that I was going to bring up to the meet, so didn't have an Enbloc or ammo. Fortunately, one of the guys at the range had an Enbloc that he told me to keep, and picked up some hunting commercial ammo. The new gas plug performed flawlessly, and the Garand did Great! CrazyWolf shot well, and I didn't do too shabby myself. LOVE the Garand. Great purchase.
- Maya Angelou

beaurrr wrote:I'd heard that, too. I have two rifles that shoot exclusively corrosive ammo, but I never really could get comfortable with the idea of dousing my steel and wood rifle with water. Just doesn't seem right. But then, those are bolt guns and there isn't much place for the bad stuff to hide, unlike the m1. Too bad you don't have an air compressor to blow the water out of the crevices and whatnot. I'm interested to hear what you decide.

Use water as hot as you can get it - it will evaporate and dry quickly without damage. I use a funnel with a hose to pour about a quart of hot water down the bore, then clean normally. :beer2:
Merle from PA