2 scopes using 2 different bullets?

I know Nosler accubonds and ballistic tips are supposed to act in this manner within the same weight class, but I'm talking different weight class.

I am using Warne Quick Detach rings and am considering having 2 different scopes sighted in for 2 different bullets of different weights (within the same family though ie. 150gr core-lokt spire point and 180gr core-lokt round nose).

Obviously there would be a change in point of impact between the two rounds, which would be a moot point since they would have their separate scope.

What could screw this up is fouling shots - are they generally needed when switching over to a bullet made of the exact same materials and just a different weight? Perhaps the length of the bullet and how it interacts with the rifling might mess the barrel up a little?

In case I have confused anyone :blush:
If I'm shooting 180gr core-lokt and then switch my scopes out to one that is supposed to shoot a 150gr core-lokt 2" high at 100, would my first shot with 150's shoot 2" high?

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Re: 2 scopes using 2 different bullets?

Why not just record the number of clicks needed to switch from one to another? A second scope seems to be overkill. Particularly if you have a scope where you can use the zero-reset function for whatever you're shooting the most of.

As to the flyer, I don't see why it would make any difference which bullet you were shooting previously, it usually refers to a clean barrel, as long as you are doing your part.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:Why not just record the number of clicks needed to switch from one to another? A second scope seems to be overkill. Particularly if you have a scope where you can use the zero-reset function for whatever you're shooting the most of.

As to the flyer, I don't see why it would make any difference which bullet you were shooting previously, it usually refers to a clean barrel, as long as you are doing your part.
The problem I have with 1 scope is I've never had scope adjustments (including Leupold and Bushnell Elite) that was in any which way shape or form dependable. You think it is supposed to adjust 2" and it adjusts 1 1/4". To make matters worse you can lose count going too fast or a couple clicks might be mushy.

Another benefit to two scopes is you're going on a deer drive, you switch out your 3-9 with a 1-4. If you are going to hunt the bean field in the evening, then you switch back to your 3-9.

Warne quick detach mounts are the best in the industry and only have a difference of something like .001moa. They are really the only brand on the market that can be trusted.

As to the fouling, it does go beyond just a clean barrel. Different bullets have different or no film or lube (22's are even more picky because you have copper vs all lead to potentially think about). If you are used to shooting say Power Points and you wish to re-sight your gun in for XP3's, I would shoot 5 shots before even thinking about messing with the scope because the first few shots are going to hit all over the place.

The difference between what I just wrote above and my question pertains to sticking with the exact same bullet, just a different weight of that bullet. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

To each his own.

As to a coating though, that's on cast or pure lead factory bullets, not usually on copper jacketed rifle bullets. Powder charges may vary from batch to batch, particularly in factory loads, which will change the POI. All over the place though? 5 rounds before anything? Even on a clean barrel with a good rifle it shouldn't be all over the place. Otherwise the precision rifle folks would be screwed when they had to clean their guns between rounds.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technica ... ng-debate/
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:To each his own.

As to a coating though, that's on cast or pure lead factory bullets, not usually on copper jacketed rifle bullets. Powder charges may vary from batch to batch, particularly in factory loads, which will change the POI. All over the place though? 5 rounds before anything? Even on a clean barrel with a good rifle it shouldn't be all over the place. Otherwise the precision rifle folks would be screwed when they had to clean their guns between rounds.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technica ... ng-debate/
"All over the place" was a bit over the top on my part. It will move an inch or so, enough to leave you frustrated if you automatically start adjusting the scope.

Copper jacketed bullets, you are probably right. A lot of the poly tipped (especially from winchester) have a lube on them.

This is all way above my head, but I would recommend looking at a good scope that serious reloaders use. There are probably many that can be recommended by those rifle shooters who are trying to scrape-together an additional .05 MOA from their reloads.

It sounds like you're trying to do open heart surgery with a swiss army knife. I think you may need to invest in a serious new tool to get this job done.

You could also just break-down and get a second rifle. ;)

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

I like the suggestion of having two rifles - one for each load, but SWMBO vetoed that. Well she thinks she vetoed it, but I have kind of dealt with it by using different caliber rifles. But it is still a lovely idea.

So, what I have decided is to shoot only 150 g for my 30/30, 100g for my .243, 158 for a .308, etc. Also, I tend to try and use the same ammo manufacturer and bullet type. This was suggested to me by a very serious reloader.

I too agree scopes will not always fire straight the first time after an adjustment, so I also rap or tap the top a bit after adjusting it. I think it works, but I cannot swear to it. I do offer that Remington Core Loc is my ammo of choice, cost vs. accuracy, etc.

Believe it or not, it is also a problem with rimfire rifles and I have a bunch of them. My solution is to fire the ammo that shoots best out of each, which tends to be a rimfire issue more than a center fire issue, although it can be a center fire issue with some brands. E.g., my CZ 452 Lux 22 WMR loves Federal and shoots CCI ok, but not winchester. Whereas my Savage Mark II shoots nearly every type of 22 lr ammo as does our Marlin 925 and Model 60s. The long process is learning which type of ammo, size, velocity, the rifle shoots best.

This is why I prefer a scope with hash marks of some sort. Then it's a simple matter of recording the hold overs and eventually having a laminated card taped to the stock.

For example, with my 18" 6.8mm with a 3-9 I know that S&B 115 gr FMJ is on at 50, 1 hash down at 100, on at 200, and 1.5 hash up at 300. No need to change the settings.

If I change ammo I'll record those hold overs too. Mostly I'll be using the FMJ for practice, and other for hunting, so this works for me. YMMV
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

rascally wrote:This is why I prefer a scope with hash marks of some sort. Then it's a simple matter of recording the hold overs and eventually having a laminated card taped to the stock.

For example, with my 18" 6.8mm with a 3-9 I know that S&B 115 gr FMJ is on at 50, 1 hash down at 100, on at 200, and 1.5 hash up at 300. No need to change the settings.

If I change ammo I'll record those hold overs too. Mostly I'll be using the FMJ for practice, and other for hunting, so this works for me. YMMV
I find the mill dot reticles have way too much going on inside there for my taste. I'm also not a huge fan of the regular Leupold duplex that is smushed together compared to other brands, but I'll live with it.

Rangefinders and superduper magnums have popularized long range shooting and hunting over especially the last 15 years. Although I have a rangefinder now, I wouldn't have a problem estimating the range of a deer through the scope.

I still use the popular shooting method of: dead on at 200 and hold on the back for anything over 300. If the bullet won't hit without holdover, it's too far to be shooting anyway. :hmmm: