7.62x39 Improving the Military Standard

Pretty detailed article on the terminal ballistic, characteristics, etc of the 7.62x39.
The website needs help, but the info was interesting.
It's sometimes hard to look past the most common loading to see a cartridge's full potential. The 7.62x39 mm is a good example of this phenomenon. The ubiquitous military loadings of the 7.62x39 were state of the art in the 1940's but have lackluster performance today. In this article I'll show you three strengths of the 7.62x39 which are largely ignored by its users: good performance in short-barreled rifles (SBR); the use of modern and heavy projectiles which have near ideal terminal performance; and heavy subsonic loads for suppressed use.
https://demigodllc.com/articles/7.62x39 ... ndard/?p=1
some days, I just don't English

Re: 7.62x39 Improving the Military Standard

My understanding is that those three reasons are more or less the entire justification for .300 Blackout's existence. IMO, it doesn't need to exist, since the perfect round was already available in 7.62x39. The only other benefits of .300 Blackout (or AAC) that I can see are the less tapered case and compatibility with the AR platform. While those are not insubstantial benefits, I still can't help but feel it's a solution seeking a problem.
Sigs are bad for you.

My read on the .300 Blackout is it takes what is best of the 7.62x39 and improves on it with a heavier projectile and extended engagement range when needed. All while preserving the greatest commonality of parts with the AR platform.

That's pretty damn neat!

While I admire the concept, I haven't made the effort to purchase one as the rounds cost 4-5x the price of 7.62x39. I'm not an "operator," nor do I have a police or military budget funding my ammo.
some days, I just don't English

Nice find. I've long been a fan of the cartridge, and agree that with the right rifle and loads, it's a solidly accurate round, within the effective range that it's capable of. I like the concept of the 300BLK, but given the price and specific limited powder requirement for reloading, not sure I'll ever pick up one- but who knows. I could find a shiny barrel somewhere.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou