Re: .22 TCM

Looking at the handgun it appears to have Bo-Mar style sights and is quite nice. I would imagine it would make you quite unpopular at a public range in the TCM caliber. John Taffin wrote a nice article on it.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Considering it comes with the 9mm and the 22TCM, that looks like a pretty sweet way to go. I hope this cartridge catches on, and that I can buy one some day here in Cali.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:Considering it comes with the 9mm and the 22TCM, that looks like a pretty sweet way to go. I hope this cartridge catches on, and that I can buy one some day here in Cali.
The cartridge has been around for several years but only Armscor is supporting it so far. It will probably end up as a novelty round. I also suspect that I would be happier with a .243 or .270 for a hunting rifle.

I did consider it fairly when I decided to buy my RIA .45 Tactical full size instead. Nice nice nice 1911 for a small amount of money.

It's interesting to be sure, but I've always decided I'd rather go with .22 Hornet on the varmint end and .243 if I wanted something I could take larger game with. (Buying that Remington 700 in .30-06 pretty much sealed it as that gave me a good "everything east of the rockies" rifle.) If .22TCM were sold by even one of the big ammo makers, I'd probably have gone for the 9/.22 version of the RIA.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

I think it has potential, but with Armscor/RIA being the only real player in the game producing ammo or arms, it feels almost proprietary.

Personally, I'd like to see it breakout with more industry support, and with some semi-auto carbine configurations. We need more sporting-esque pistol caliber carbines like the old Marlin camp 9 and Ruger PC9, and I suspect this caliber would be a lot of fun in that respect.

nwguy wrote:I think it has potential, but with Armscor/RIA being the only real player in the game producing ammo or arms, it feels almost proprietary.

Personally, I'd like to see it breakout with more industry support, and with some semi-auto carbine configurations. We need more sporting-esque pistol caliber carbines like the old Marlin camp 9 and Ruger PC9, and I suspect this caliber would be a lot of fun in that respect.
I too am interested in this round.

It's based on the .223 case, so it will (can/should/maybe) be easy to reload. People are already cutting down the .223 case and making the ammo. I found some links earlyer and will post them when I find them again...

In the meantime, here is some nifty vertical video:

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/SEn2c4LFtEk[/youtu_be]

It seems like a response to the still ridiculously high prices of .22LR. I can reload 9mm for the same or less than I can find 22LR these days. F$*king unbelievable. I think people are still hoarding .22LR because they think it will be currency during or after the apocalypse.

Amusingly enough, I just picked up my brand-new RIA 1911 A2 in .22 TCM this morning. It's sitting two feet to my left. I'm hoping to run a few rounds this weekend!

(.22 TCM - 9x19 - .357 Mag - 10mm - .45 ACP - .44 Mag - 7.62x39 - .308 Winchester - 7.62x54R - 12ga)

brandonsmash wrote:Amusingly enough, I just picked up my brand-new RIA 1911 A2 in .22 TCM this morning. It's sitting two feet to my left. I'm hoping to run a few rounds this weekend!
Look forward to your range report! Do you plan to reload? Did you get ammo for it and if so, where?

I picked up my first hundred rounds locally, and I have an additional 400 rounds en route. I also bought 350 rounds of brass. When dies become available (supposedly within the next month) I'll buy a set and start working on a round. Bullets should be affordable; finding or working up a recipe may be a challenge.

(.22 TCM - 9x19 - .357 Mag - 10mm - .45 ACP - .44 Mag - 7.62x39 - .308 Winchester - 7.62x54R - 12ga)

Reviving an old thread here. After shooting Brandon's 22 TCM, I wanted one even more than before. Of course, not available in my state. BUT. Our friends at RIA did develop a G17 slide in 22 TCM as a drop in. Heh. So yeah, I've got one on order :yahoo: Now I just need to get some food for it. I know a lot of folks hate on Glock, but gotta say, there are some advantages to owning one.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I shot Brandon's also. Really liked the light recoil and the extreme velocity, but damn, that thing is loud. And hunting for the brass was no fun, either. Now, I could could really get into that round with a Contender.
If by some miracle, someone would chamber a revolver in the round, that would be hella cool.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

shinzen wrote:Reviving an old thread here. After shooting Brandon's 22 TCM, I wanted one even more than before. Of course, not available in my state. BUT. Our friends at RIA did develop a G17 slide in 22 TCM as a drop in. Heh. So yeah, I've got one on order :yahoo: Now I just need to get some food for it. I know a lot of folks hate on Glock, but gotta say, there are some advantages to owning one.
Oh boy, can't wait to try it. Maybe my G22 will get one someday.

:thumbup:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

I might have to finally install the extended mag release I've been postponing putting in if I like the TCM enough. :laugh: Like most stuff with RIA, the pricing was fairly reasonable, hell, less than the 22lr conversion I think, and I'd much rather shoot tcm! Especially since I can make my own brass and components are pretty cheap. I should be able to shoot for about $.15 each. Maybe better if I can find good prices on bullets.
- Maya Angelou

When you are ready to start cutting down brass to make 22 TCM. Harbor Freight makes a mini chop saw that costs around $22.00 and is the perfect tool for the job. I have been using on to make 300 BLK. At some point I will make a jig to hold the brass more precisely, but for now the clamp it comes with works just fine.

Sweet. I was looking at exactly that. I'll probably rig up a little jig to make life easier

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
- Maya Angelou

Just as a note, reloading is going a bit slowly for me. The resizing requires quite a bit more lube than I initially expected.

Other than that it's smooth sailing! I definitely love this round.

You speaking of making your own brass out of 223, or just regular resizing? If the latter, more than other bottleneck cartridges?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
- Maya Angelou

already Ordered and on the way! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

thanks shinzen!

A though occurred to me about making 22 TCM. The walls of a 5.56 case thicken as thye go towards the base, so you may have to turn the necks of the case to the proper thickness to get them to chamber properly.

This is also a factor for making 300 BLK brass, some cases create a neck wall thickness that will not chamber reliably. On the 300 Blackout Forum there is a post that lists which cases are ok and not OK for making 300 BLK.

Having to turn necks would mean that I would just buy brass instead of make it. There is likely a22 TCM forum out there with answers.

:beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2: :beer2:

Woo that ebay thing looks good! I probably will not be doing 22TCM, but 300 blk will be mine in the future! Need a tool to do that as 223 is very common for me to pick up at the range, but 300 blk is definitely not.

Question about 22TCM for glocks though... don't they have to use a slightly different projectile? 22 TCM 9R or something? Because the 1911 22 TCM fits in a magazine that is longer than what a glock 9mm magazine can handle, right?