M1 Garand

I keep watching the prices go up on a CMP Garand and the stock getting thinner. Should I buy one? I really wasn't going to just yet because it would be a safe gun more than anything but @ 730 for a decent grade I figure it would appreciate in value at the least.

What says you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist. For man it is to know that and to wonder at it.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Politics has become so expensive that it takes a lot of money even to be defeated.
Will Rogers

Re: M1 Garand

And I just saw I posted to the wrong sub. That's why I thought and the southern CMP is 8 hrs from my house. So I could choose my own.

The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist. For man it is to know that and to wonder at it.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Politics has become so expensive that it takes a lot of money even to be defeated.
Will Rogers

I did and I've not regretted it, even though I rarely shoot it.
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

SwampGrouch wrote:I did and I've not regretted it, even though I rarely shoot it.
Goddamn it. Someone needs to say no.

Jacques Yves Cousteau

Will Rogers

Yes of course!

How else can you own a piece of American history that also shoots stuff?

An advantage of buying from CMP, as opposed to a private party, is that the CMP armorers and inspection protocol should give you confidence you are getting, say, a good receiver, but maybe with a somewhat worn barrel that puts it in a cheaper category. Then you always have the option of replacing the barrel and/or stock down the line, as I did with my first CMP M1, if you know the receiver is sound.

I really like the mechanical feel and sound of that heavy battle rifle, especially compared to newer ARs and such.

Where to shoot it? Most people get familiar with it at a static range, e.g., 50 or 100 yards. Loading and unloading, using and adjusting the sights, hitting what you're aiming at, etc.

Next step might be to look for a local CMP type match. If not already comfortable with 3-position shooting, maybe look into Appleseed training (but I'd use a .22 for that, at least the first time out!).

Another shooting direction is to use an M1 Garand for action shooting (e.g., 3-gun Heavy Metal division). You probably won't beat the tricked out AR10s, but you'll have a blast (ahem) and win the admiration of your peers. Needless to say, you don't want to do this with a collector's grade rifle.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Inquisitor wrote:Everyone should have one.
I second this. One of the primary reasons for joining this club in the first place!

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas LTC Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22

Yes, everyone should have one, but you need not pay retail: buy a receiver and make one with parts. You can string out the project for a couple years--that way you don't realize it's cost you sixteen thousand dollars in postage. But you'll have one. Gotta get a bayo, too. And a cleaning kit. Two proper slings. Clips... and so on. Hella fun.

Every time I pick mine up I'm all, "neat rifle..."

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote:Yes, everyone should have one, but you need not pay retail: buy a receiver and make one with parts. You can string out the project for a couple years--that way you don't realize it's cost you sixteen thousand dollars in postage. But you'll have one. Gotta get a bayo, too. And a cleaning kit. Two proper slings. Clips... and so on. Hella fun.

Every time I pick mine up I'm all, "neat rifle..."

CDFingers

Haha, I thought about building a BM59 but never a Garand.

Jacques Yves Cousteau

Will Rogers

LoneMeme wrote:Sort of related, I'm curious what the restriction is on getting a CMP Garand. I've heard that you have to be part of some CMP organization or a veteran or something? Any insight?
That is true, and is one of the benefits of joining the LGC. As a paying member in good standing, and proof of shooting activity in the last year (A range officer signing off is fine) then you can order directly from them. :D
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:
LoneMeme wrote:Sort of related, I'm curious what the restriction is on getting a CMP Garand. I've heard that you have to be part of some CMP organization or a veteran or something? Any insight?
That is true, and is one of the benefits of joining the LGC. As a paying member in good standing, and proof of shooting activity in the last year (A range officer signing off is fine) then you can order directly from them. :D
Well, it's a good thing I joined the LGC a few weeks back! For the sake of my bank account, I might just pretend that I still somehow don't qualify for the CMP. Do you know how long I might have before CMP supplies start to get low or what have you?

Cheers!

Nobody knows that. I would act as soon as possible. Supplies might hold out for a few years, or they might dry up suddenly. One thing is certain; prices will climb as long as they are available.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

LoneMeme wrote:Do you know how long I might have before CMP supplies start to get low or what have you?
I asked my forensic Ouija board and it said, "HTH would I know? You think I'm magic or somethin'?"

There's no telling when or if OD-CMP is going to get their hands on any more or what sort of shape they'll be in. If you have the funds, snag one now.
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

I think I should have taken up a cocaine habit. It seems like that might have been more affordable than the milsurp rifle addiction you all are pushing! Unfortunately I owe taxes this year thanks to a dumb oversight on my w4, so anything I get or do will have to wait until June or July. =(

Thanks for the info though. I'm still new to all of this, so I really didn't know if this is the kind of stuff I should jump on before it's too late or if it'll be around for a while.