Better results in my FNAR

Ever since getting my 16" FNAR (which is factory guaranteed 1 MOA or better) in March or April, I have been shooting somewhere around 3 MOA. At first I thought it was just me getting used to the caliber, as I'm not the steadiest and don't have great eyesight. (I shoot about 1 MOA with my Core AR-15.) But practice wasn't closing my groups any, and I began to suspect it was the rifle and not the shooter.

These 3-inch groups I'm talking about are with Federal Gold Medal, loaded with 168-grain Matchking BTHP's. Because that's what internet lore said the 1 MOA test was done with.

Well, today I tried something new. It was an odd range trip, in that happenstance gave me an odd assortment of cartridges: 15 rounds of Prvi Partizan, 20 rounds of Sellier & Bellot, and 3 rounds each of the Federal Gold Medal and Winchester Match with the same Sierra 168-grain bullets.

I put the inexpensive European soft-point rounds downrange first, all 35 of 'em, into plain paper targets. Warm-up. Then I transitioned to the Federal and put three rounds into a jumbo Shoot-N-C I'd set up above them. Switched mags, put the Winchester on an identical target to its left.

The Federal made a 2.609" group - right about where I've been used to.

But the Winchester? It made a pretty little 0.532" group - far and away the best I've ever done with this rifle at 100 yards. Heck, I never got close to that at 50 yards with the Federal.

With my poor eyes, looking through my mere $200 scope, it looked like just one hole from the firing line.

Yes, it's low and right - but with groups approaching 3 inches 'til now, I've been focused on other things than getting a perfect zero.

So: Need to get at least a full box of this Winchester Match and make sure it wasn't a fluke. But, seeing as the Winchester is $38.99 per 20 (vs the Federal's $25.99), now that I suspect this has been an ammo issue rather a problem with shooter or stick, I think I need to try some Hornady match rounds, too.
I carry for Kitty Genovese.

Re: Better results in my FNAR

It is chill and rainy here, and I was in a rush to get my shooting buddy back in time for him to make his shift, but I fired the FNAR again this morning, having picked up a brand new box of Federal Gold Medal 168-gr., a full box of Winchester Match 168-gr., and a box of Hornady Match 168-gr.

To my surprise, I consistently shot groups between 0.6 and 0.7 inches with all three. Probably could have kept them to near the 0.5-inch mark if I had not been in such a hurry.

My best guess at this point... The previous Gold Medal I'd fired through it, all of which was purchased at one time early this year, must have been from a bad batch?

I think I may give the Hornady the edge, because I put six rounds within 0.66" inches of each other... and because not knowing what caused that bad run with the Federal left a bad taste in my mouth.
I carry for Kitty Genovese.