I know this is a stretch, but what rifle is this stock for?

In all the stuff I received from my dad, I have an roughed in Bishop walnut rifle stock, but not even my dad remembers what it was for. heres a couple photos.

I know its a stretch, but maybe someone will recognize it. or not ..
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more
Attachments
rough bishop stock 2.jpg
rough bishop stock 3.jpg
rough bishop stock 4.jpg

Re: I know this is a stretch, but what rifle is this stock f

1.25" x 8" long. thats from the front slot at the barrel to the rear bolt hole. the mag hole is .75" wide x 3.125 Im wondering, this has a slot right where the barrel would start to be seated in the stock. Which is kind of like my Savage 340E hornet has. But I know its not for the Hornet, already checked that out. But maybe its for a larger Savage? I have no clue.

The barrel relief slot is unfinished, and I assume is to be cut by the owner to a finish fit and barrel size.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

thats what Im doing right now. I've been looking at their online catalog for all the usual suspects. Guns I know my dad has owned and owns, but no luck so far. So I am sending them an email with the pictures, maybe they can help. Then, if I dont have anything to fit it, maybe someone on here does.
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Judging by the relief cut into the left side, I'd guess this is a sporter stock for one of the older bolt military rifles. The Eddystones, 1903's and Enfields have rear receiver parts coming down into that area. I'd have to pull a few from the back of my safe to look and make a better guess. Too lazy at the moment. I will tomorrow and repost if not solved.
Bud.

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure"---- Dan Quayle, 1990.

popgunn wrote:On second look, the barrel channel looks a little too narrow for any of the above I've mentioned.
But couldn't the barrel Chanel be opened up. ? I'm not familiar with how rough stocks come
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:
popgunn wrote:On second look, the barrel channel looks a little too narrow for any of the above I've mentioned.
But couldn't the barrel Chanel be opened up. ? I'm not familiar with how rough stocks come
I'm not an expert but I've started practicing carving my own stocks (those that came to the last Rocky Mountain chapter meeting saw my most recent attempt). I've found cutting a groove down the centerline helps with alignment for the router table when inletting. That may explain the narrow barrel channel. What's the measurement from the center of the front screw hole to the center of the rear screw hole?
"Never trust a big butt & a smile." -A.I.M. Scientist Supreme

Yeah: I think this is a partially-inletted stock blank for an old milsurp. You can call up drawings with measurements for all those rifles. You'll be able to tell which rifles it will fit by how far apart the action screw "holes" are. (Not done yet.) This is a neat stock with potential to fit many rifles.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I have a similar looking stock on my sporterized M1903 Springfield. It has a lot of rough "customization" in the barrel channel and the action area that was floated to fit properly with acrylglass or some other stock bedding stuff. The work inside the stock is not pretty, but the rifle shoots MOA if i do my part. Will try to post some pictures for you in another post.

My sense is that back in the 50's and 60's a lot of folks built sporters from cheap and plentiful M1903 actions. It was mentioned somewhere (maybe here) that a number of M1903s were converted to big bore .458 Win Mag for African hunting as well. :ugeek:

CD's assessment is right on IMHO. Get a milsurp (bolt) action of choice,, apply elbow grease, and you've created a fine sporter.

I'd like to build a 7mm mauser someday, but I'll need to get a bigger safe!!

:thumbup:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

I think those who are suggesting 1903 Springfield or other old military could be right. Which is embarrassing as I have a sporterized Springfield :blush: but after the first suggestion it could be one, I did more research and the Springfield schematics look like they'd work. Which would make sense as along with the sporterized Springfield my dad gave me, I have most the parts for another one. But I want to assemble the other one as original military style as its barrel hasn't been cut like the finished one is. So this is a stock I won't be using.

Thanks guys. What I thought was near impossible, you guys seemed to have solved :clap:
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Comparing my Springfield and its bishop monte carlo sportster stock to the rough stock, Im starting to get the impression that this was possibly a stock mod that went slightly wrong. Not enough that it couldnt be saved by someone who has wood working experience. Here are a couple photos of comparing my springfield and the rough stock..

But here is the fun news.

Do you want to Play a Game ?

I think I MAY do a numbers game here for LCG members only. I will message the winning number two one or 2 other members here who are not interested in the stock. Then, I'll give a spread of numbers to choose from, and whoever post the winning number first, can have this stock. The walnut alone would be worth it for someone with wood working skills far beyond mine. Probably could make 20 or more pistol grips if you didnt want to try to salvage it for a rifle. Oh, and I'll cover postage as well, so its a zero investment game...

If any current members of LGC are interested, let me know..
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more
Attachments
springfield2.jpg
springfield.jpg
springfield sport.jpg

drigeba wrote:I have a similar looking stock on my sporterized M1903 Springfield. It has a lot of rough "customization" in the barrel channel and the action area that was floated to fit properly with acrylglass or some other stock bedding stuff. The work inside the stock is not pretty, but the rifle shoots MOA if i do my part. Will try to post some pictures for you in another post.

My sense is that back in the 50's and 60's a lot of folks built sporters from cheap and plentiful M1903 actions. It was mentioned somewhere (maybe here) that a number of M1903s were converted to big bore .458 Win Mag for African hunting as well. :ugeek:

CD's assessment is right on IMHO. Get a milsurp (bolt) action of choice,, apply elbow grease, and you've created a fine sporter.

I'd like to build a 7mm mauser someday, but I'll need to get a bigger safe!!

:thumbup:

My dad did a 458 conversion with a Win mod 70. That is a bear. I remember my dad let my older brother, probably 15 at the time. It flipped him on his back! My brother never attempted to shoot it again.
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

drigeba wrote:It's on the western slope of the sierra nevada next to a mountain juniper. It on an overlook where I was glassing for deer 2014 season.

:thanks:

I love those ancient gnarly junipers on rock formation. There some around my Dads place in the Shawnee forest that were ring tapped and counted out to be over 200 years old, but barely 8 inches in diameter and 15 feet tall. most are twisted , broken and deformed like the one in your photo. They are just amazing and so resilient to whatever man, beast and mother nature throws at them.
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

At elevations from 5 to 8000 feet, as you hike through glacial valleys in the western sierra, the mountain junipers rim the exposed upper ridges. Their gnarled branches and lightning split trunks make them appear like venerable sages studying the passage of time from their own lofty toehold in the granite. I like to think of them as both a welcoming to the gateways of the higher elevations ahead, and also as a kind and gentle reminder that this is their domain and to be respectful of it.
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

drigeba wrote:At elevations from 5 to 8000 feet, as you hike through glacial valleys in the western sierra, the mountain junipers rim the exposed upper ridges. Their gnarled branches and lightning split trunks make them appear like venerable sages studying the passage of time from their own lofty toehold in the granite. I like to think of them as both a welcoming to the gateways of the higher elevations ahead, and also as a kind and gentle reminder that this is their domain and to be respectful of it.

I cant see me hiking at 5 to 8000 feet. With the 2 occasions of going to Alaska as a child on family vacations, climbing some mountains there, I usually habitat around 800 to 1000 feet. Plus being a gimp and not in the physical shape I was, I think I would pass out before I could enjoy the natural beauty of the Sierra's.. :lol: So the picture is even appreciated more by someone like me who may never get to actually see it ..
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more