Re: TFB: 7.62x54r

Hardly a nickel's worth of difference when you control for bullet weight (and shape...boattails make a difference here). This is why I never understood the various arguments for one 'full powered' 30 caliber rifle round over another, particularly with the .30-06 vs 308 (7.62x51). The only advantage of the former is the higher case capacity and therefore greater upper velocity limit. And the only significant advantage of the latter is the shorter receiver length.
As for the 7.62x54r....it's cheap and works well. Take away cheap and it's just another 30 caliber rifle.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Jokingly I've often said if the 7.62x54R was good enough for grandad it's good enough for me. Turnsout it is good enough. It get's to the fun factor for me also.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

beaurrr wrote:Hardly a nickel's worth of difference when you control for bullet weight (and shape...boattails make a difference here). This is why I never understood the various arguments for one 'full powered' 30 caliber rifle round over another, particularly with the .30-06 vs 308 (7.62x51). The only advantage of the former is the higher case capacity and therefore greater upper velocity limit. And the only significant advantage of the latter is the shorter receiver length.
As for the 7.62x54r....it's cheap and works well. Take away cheap and it's just another 30 caliber rifle.
Once they open up the Russian supplies that are being held back by the current mini-cold war, maybe we'll be able to buy it by the case again. :weep:

That will probably happen right after they start importing Chinese SKSs again. The cheaper stuff is likely gone for good. I bought 2 cases of it for less per round then people could reload. I think it was 1986 vintage. I think it would be interesting to get a case from multiple decades to see if there are any major differences.

My Finnish M27 likes the 182 grain PPU FMJ and 180 grain Herter's SP from the local Cabela's.
Brian

inomaha wrote:
beaurrr wrote:Hardly a nickel's worth of difference when you control for bullet weight (and shape...boattails make a difference here). This is why I never understood the various arguments for one 'full powered' 30 caliber rifle round over another, particularly with the .30-06 vs 308 (7.62x51). The only advantage of the former is the higher case capacity and therefore greater upper velocity limit. And the only significant advantage of the latter is the shorter receiver length.
Once they open up the Russian supplies that are being held back by the current mini-cold war, maybe we'll be able to buy it by the case again. :weep:

That will probably happen right after they start importing Chinese SKSs again. The cheaper stuff is likely gone for good. I bought 2 cases of it for less per round then people could reload. I think it was 1986 vintage. I think it would be interesting to get a case from multiple decades to see if there are any major differences.

My Finnish M27 likes the 182 grain PPU FMJ and 180 grain Herter's SP from the local Cabela's.
Was your M27 changed to a "D" at some point? Otherwise while a 7.62x54R can be shot out of it in a pinch a better option is the Lapua 7.62x53R.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.