Re: 30-30 vs Hogs

I was reading that 30-30 is the big hog hunter rifle on the big island of Hawaii. Partially due to hunting laws, but its suppose to be the go to hog rifle there. And they have a lot of feral hogs.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Shoot whatever load the "rifle" likes and shoots accurately, 125 grn - 170 grn - the hog will be just as dead no matter the brand or weight.

<----------- this is how ya tell it likes what you are shooting.... ;)
Last edited by DwnRange on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I intended to use a lever 45-70 on the last hog hunt rather than a semi 30-06 for a few reasons.

Although the hunting area is large it has boundaries and houses just beyond. A 405g 45-70 doesn't have the distance a 30-06 has. I know I can't peel off round after round with a lever action but I think it falls into the Enough category and I didn't want to compromise on my policy against winging a neighbor.

The hogs were better than I thought at Hide & Seek and no theories were tested.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Simmer down wrote:I intended to use a lever 45-70 on the last hog hunt rather than a semi 30-06 for a few reasons.

Although the hunting area is large it has boundaries and houses just beyond. A 405g 45-70 doesn't have the distance a 30-06 has. I know I can't peel off round after round with a lever action but I think it falls into the Enough category and I didn't want to compromise on my policy against winging a neighbor.

The hogs were better than I thought at Hide & Seek and no theories were tested.
This is very valid, and applies to the 30-30 as well. I normally hunt an area with very rough terrain, and as a result always have an obvious backstop for any shot. Always worth considering.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
John A. Shedd

valen wrote:I'm going hog hunting with a marlin 30-30 next month. Is there any reason I should just use Remington Core-lokt ammo? Should I spring for something specialized?
There is a reason that Core-Lokt is still being made decades later; it just works. I especially like it in 30-30. I only reloaded for cheap practice ammo and always simply bought the Remington to hunt with.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

.30-30 will work just fine. I've probably shot 10 hogs this year with mine, using a 150 gr. Sierra bullet, but I have no doubt the Core-Lokt will do the job. I shot my first white tail and first elk with them. If it'll put a 450 pound elk in the freezer, it'll do just fine for pigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Knowledge without mileage is BULLSHIT!" -Henry Rollins

curtism1234 wrote:I'd use 170 grain flat tips

If we're talking 100 pounds, it's not going to make any difference. If you're talking 300 pound hogs, you're going to want something heavy as their vitals are more forward directly behind their reinforced shoulder.
Agreed... Either small and fast enough to punch through, or bigger and heavy enough to smash through.

On the other hand, I'm told that ear shots work well.
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster