sabot .224 @ 1 mile per second!

This uses the Remington Ultra Magnum cartridge. One mile per second. Dang.

Geeks Gadgets and Guns, a gun-related podcast website, has published on their social media pages a photo from an ongoing LFD Research project depicting cartridges loaded with saboted bullets. Well, at first glance, I didn’t see anything extraordinary because these cartridges looked like Remington Accelerator replicas with different bullets. But when I read the caption of the picture I was amazed to learn that they actually loaded the saboted .224 caliber bullets into .300 RUM (.300 Remington Ultra Magnum) cases and managed to achieve muzzle velocities of “over one mile per second“. That’s over 5,280 fps or 1,609 m/s!
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... -5280-fps/

Good gravy! I wonder how long the barrel would last?

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: sabot .224 @ 1 mile per second!

lurker wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:26 am so, if i remember my physics, (rofl-NOT) over the distance of that mile, the bullet would drop 32 feet? can it achieve earth orbit?
I believe it's more like 16 feet... it's 32 feet/sec/sec, an acceleration, not a constant velocity. I don't remember my physics, but I'm pretty sure anything dropping falls about 16' in the first second. I believe escape velocity is 18,000 mph
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Bullitt68 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:42 pm Thats some wicked ammo. And I thought my 25-06 was fast.
That's speeds like the old rocket plane, the X-15, would reach, 3600 mph (the X-15 actually got as fast as 4500mph, and the X-43 reached 7300mph!!!!! Coast to coast in less than 30 minutes!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:28 pm
lurker wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:26 am so, if i remember my physics, (rofl-NOT) over the distance of that mile, the bullet would drop 32 feet? can it achieve earth orbit?
I believe it's more like 16 feet... it's 32 feet/sec/sec, an acceleration, not a constant velocity. I don't remember my physics, but I'm pretty sure anything dropping falls about 16' in the first second. I believe escape velocity is 18,000 mph
makes sense. it starts at 0, 16 would be the average. physics not my best subject 35 yrs ago. :oops2:
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:24 pm leave it to liberals to belabor a tangent well past the point where anyone cares. :bananadance:
Yeah, it would be so much easier if we just made shit up, you know, like Fux Noise assholes, the assholes in the White House, and the rest of the Retrumplican liars. :no:

highdesert wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:19 pm
Bucolic wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:02 pm Yup. One half x g x t^2 = 16 for t=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dr B to the rescue! My physics was 48 years ago, long ago forgotten.
Shit! Mine was almost that long ago--46 years since my last dive into it. It's not fair! The less time you have left the faster it goes!

SailDesign wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:00 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:13 pm<snippage!>

It's not fair! The less time you have left the faster it goes!
Same goes for jelly beans....
I never thought of that...but you're right. :yikes:
Harpo Marx was a jelly bean fan, but by far his favorites were the black licorice ones--he'd buy a giant bag of just black ones and feast into a sugar high!

So, surely it's not too hard to translate 5280 fps to mph..?

The only reason it doesn't make orbit is because it starts off too close to the ground. And, I suppose, air resistance.

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

rascally wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:06 pm So, surely it's not too hard to translate 5280 fps to mph..?

The only reason it doesn't make orbit is because it starts off too close to the ground. And, I suppose, air resistance.
It's not going anywhere near fast enough to achieve orbit even in a vacuum. At 124 miles the velocity of a body in orbit is 17,000 mph, as you decrease in altitude you need to be going even faster 1 mile per second is only 3600 mph (1 * 60 *60).