Need advice for .22lr

Alright, it's a force of habit of mine to run heavier (40 grain) ammo out of my rifles and lighter (36) out of my pistols. This is a holdover from when I did a lot of airgunning....lighter pellets are faster BUT their downrange accuracy suffers.

Does this idea apply to .22s, or am I barking up the wrong tree? For simplicity's sake can I simply buy one weight of CCI for all my guns (40 grain) and call it a day? Is there something I'm missing about the different weights of CCI?

Somebody help a brotha' out!
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

Re: Need advice for .22lr

Depends on range. the 60gr aguilas aren't THAT accurate, but they aren't bad either. Hell freehand with my mark III I hit a couple 1/2 groups yesterday at the range with winchester bulk. I've got a new thread up about my trip I can elaborate and mark what round were what on there if you want me to. I used a bunch of different kinds.
If I hear "crony" capitalism one more time I'm going to be ill. Capitalism is capitalism, dog eats dog and one dog ends up on top, and he defends that place with all the power he's accumulated.

Yea 40gr is the best .22, lots of penetration and power. The 30gr stuff looks more powerful, but gives all that up in a few inches and doesn't penetrate well. Great stuff for squirrels maybe. The 60gr. has penetration, but low speed and not a lot of power. Then most powerful 40gr is about 1450fps, but really 100 yards out the standard 1280fps is about indistinguishable from it.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

Antiquus wrote:Yea 40gr is the best .22, lots of penetration and power. The 30gr stuff looks more powerful, but gives all that up in a few inches and doesn't penetrate well. Great stuff for squirrels maybe. The 60gr. has penetration, but low speed and not a lot of power. Then most powerful 40gr is about 1450fps, but really 100 yards out the standard 1280fps is about indistinguishable from it.
Actually in terms of terminal effectiveness the 40grs from terminal effectiveness were largely crap compared to the 40grs.
Of the cartridges evaluated in this report, for self-defense usage against a human attacker, we
recommend the Aguila 60gr SSS for .22LR handguns and the Winchester 50gr FMJ cartridge for .25ACP
handguns. Both projectiles generally transfer higher average kinetic energy throughout the penetration track
than the other cartridges tested here, and should be considered to be robust cartridges for the application
because they have significantly higher kinetic energy transfer up to and through the maximum penetration
depth of interest.
http://www.brassfetcher.com/Comparative ... 2APR11.pdf

They go on to talk about making a .22lr +p which is a good idea seeing how VERY little casing space is actually used to hold powder.
If I hear "crony" capitalism one more time I'm going to be ill. Capitalism is capitalism, dog eats dog and one dog ends up on top, and he defends that place with all the power he's accumulated.

That 60 grain agulia is the excellent in my HK 416. Out to 100 yards it hits where I aim it. I really think this found is great for closein defense. The twist rate of your platform could cause this round to be unstable and "keyhole" , which IMO may not be a bad thing for close up defense. The 60 grain Agulia SSS are hard to come by but try the company site.
" A Winchester rifle should have a place of honor in every black home"- Ida B. Wells Barnett

judgepacker wrote:Alright, it's a force of habit of mine to run heavier (40 grain) ammo out of my rifles and lighter (36) out of my pistols. This is a holdover from when I did a lot of airgunning....lighter pellets are faster BUT their downrange accuracy suffers.

Does this idea apply to .22s, or am I barking up the wrong tree? For simplicity's sake can I simply buy one weight of CCI for all my guns (40 grain) and call it a day? Is there something I'm missing about the different weights of CCI?

Somebody help a brotha' out!
AS no-one else has thought to ask - I will. What are your wants from this? Target, small game, big game ?

That said, I find the quality of the ammo rules more than the weight. I love the Eley Yellow box for targets (at least, my rifles do) and the pistols both love CCI. Mini-mags in the semi-auto, SV in the Single-Six. I have both MM and SV in 40 and 36 (I think) grains, and have not noticed any difference.

Now, if I could only find a reliable source of the CCI stuff for I don''t have to use up the Winchester crap, and the Federal "Auto-Match" that stove-pipes in both the SR22 and the 10/22.... :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

SailDesign wrote:Now, if I could only find a reliable source of the CCI stuff for I don''t have to use up the Winchester crap, and the Federal "Auto-Match" that stove-pipes in both the SR22 and the 10/22.... :)
I was beginning to suspect the stovepipes in my Model 60 were caused less by the rifle and more by the Federal ammo I was using.