Re: Massachusetts AG expands "assault weapons" ban...

TrueTexan wrote:
DispositionMatrix wrote:She also expanded the web page to tout her achievement:
http://www.mass.gov/ago/public-safety/awbe.html
Assault Weapons Ban Enforcement

Attorney General Maura Healey has issued a notice to all gun sellers and manufacturers in Massachusetts, warning that her office is stepping up enforcement of the state’s assault weapons ban, including a crackdown on the sale of copycat weapons.

The enforcement notice clarifies what constitutes a “copy” or “duplicate” weapon under the assault weapons ban. Copies or duplicates of banned assault rifles, including copies of the Colt AR-15 and the Kalishnikov AK-47, are prohibited by the Massachusetts assault weapons ban. Despite the law, an estimated 10,000 copycat assault weapons were sold in Massachusetts in 2015 alone.
Does this mean you can still buy a Ruger Mini 14 or Mini thirty?
It's really fing unclear.

http://www.masslive.com/politics/index. ... r_mor.html
Looking for information that could shed more light on her decision, GOAL filed an extensive public records request in August, and months later received a CD that included gun manuals from different manufacturers. Healey's office cited several legal exemptions in limiting the response, including ongoing litigation.

Jim Wallace, the head of GOAL, said his group is continuing to press for more information and plans to file an appeal with Massachusetts Secretary of State William Galvin this week. Galvin's office includes a public records division.

"The response that we got has caused more questions than we originally had, which I didn't think it was possible," Wallace said, charging Healey with being secretive.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Anyone from MA had an SBR form approved since July 20th? I have read elsewhere the ATF is not processing NFA submissions because they are waiting for clarification from Maura Healey.
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

http://wsau.com/news/articles/2017/jan/ ... apons-ban/
BOSTON (Reuters) - Gun rights advocates have sued Massachusetts over the state's ban on assault weapons, saying that a crackdown begun last year on "copycat" assault rifles is a vague and unconstitutional violation of gun ownership rights.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court late Monday, challenges a 1998 state law banning rifles including the AR-15 and AK-47 and a July 2016 directive by the states attorney general banning guns that are similar in function but have been slightly modified to meet state requirements, such as by replacing folding stocks with fixed models or removing flash suppressors.
I'm pretty sure the "AK-47" is an NFA weapon.
The group of gun owners, dealers and the state's Gun Owners Action League, who have the backing of the National Rifle Association, said the July decision by Attorney General Maura Healey banned guns that had been purchased legally in the state over the past two decades and infringed on the right to bear arms protected by the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.
The article fails to mention Comm2A, the group behind the suit. A representative for the organization was on CNLive to discuss it.

This lawsuit will take them a few years to lose, I suspect.
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

DispositionMatrix wrote:http://wsau.com/news/articles/2017/jan/ ... apons-ban/
BOSTON (Reuters) - Gun rights advocates have sued Massachusetts over the state's ban on assault weapons, saying that a crackdown begun last year on "copycat" assault rifles is a vague and unconstitutional violation of gun ownership rights.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court late Monday, challenges a 1998 state law banning rifles including the AR-15 and AK-47 and a July 2016 directive by the states attorney general banning guns that are similar in function but have been slightly modified to meet state requirements, such as by replacing folding stocks with fixed models or removing flash suppressors.
The group of gun owners, dealers and the state's Gun Owners Action League, who have the backing of the National Rifle Association, said the July decision by Attorney General Maura Healey banned guns that had been purchased legally in the state over the past two decades and infringed on the right to bear arms protected by the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.
The article fails to mention Comm2A, the group behind the suit. A representative for the organization was on CNLive to discuss it.

I had lunch with the Comm2a guy yesterday. They help make the lawsuit happen, they are not necessarily named plaintiffs. That's sorta how they roll.

Even if they lose, they get clarity. But they also give red meat to Healeys re-election either way.

Inquisitor wrote:

I had lunch with the Comm2a guy yesterday. They help make the lawsuit happen, they are not necessarily named plaintiffs. That's sorta how they roll.

Even if they lose, they get clarity. But they also give red meat to Healeys re-election either way.
Healey's re-election is a certainty, provided she does not run for something else instead.
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Inquisitor wrote:

I think the gun industry as well as the press has had a lot to do with this. My understanding the real ak47 has machined receivers and a couple other things, and was not "officially" made since the 1950s. That is when the AKM became the standard.

The gun industry uses AK47 for anything that looks like an Ak. And the media uses , well, they always use wrong terminology.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Looks like this will go at least another round before Healey wins.
Judge Refuses To Dismiss Lawsuit Against Healey Over 'Copycat' Weapons
A judge has denied Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey's request to dismiss a lawsuit filed against her over her crackdown on "copycat" assault weapons.

Judge Timothy Hillman says in an order issued Wednesday gun shops have valid questions as to whether Healey gave them fair notice about the ban. He says they have a "plausible claim" that Healey deprived them of property without due process.

The Democratic attorney general sent a notice to gun sellers and manufacturers in 2016 saying state law bans a "copy" or "duplicate" weapon, such as copies of the Colt AR-15 and the Kalashnikov AK-47.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/massac ... lt-weapon/

http://www.mass.gov/ago/public-safety/g ... apons.html

It's so sad, I'd laugh if the implications about rights weren't so wide. I don't know what they can logically thing would make some of these guns more lethal to a mass shooter than a ruger mini 14.

I especially love how they say "•Any .17 or .22 caliber rimfire rifle;" isn't an "assault weapon" even though it can sufficiently kill if one was so inclined to do so. Like the M&P 15-22

My biggest fear out of all this hysteria someone is going to figure out that a .22 makes an almost perfect mass shooter weapon. way easy to handle, very light, low recoil... Like this kid.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015 ... f-violence

". On the day of the attack, he would start with a .22-calibre rifle and move on to a shotgun, in order to prove that high-capacity assault-style rifles were unnecessary for an effective school attack."

And he is 100% correct.

Then we'd have a ban on .22's.

Worman v. Baker dismissed.
https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/20 ... 4-6-18.pdf
The AR-15 and its analogs, along with large capacity magazines, are simply not weapons within the original meaning of the individual constitutional right to "bear Arms."

Both their general acceptance and their regulation, if any, are policy matters not for courts, but left for the people directly through their elected representatives. In the absence of federal legislation, Massachusetts is free to ban these weapons and large capacity magazines.

DispositionMatrix wrote:Worman v. Baker dismissed.
https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/20 ... 4-6-18.pdf
The AR-15 and its analogs, along with large capacity magazines, are simply not weapons within the original meaning of the individual constitutional right to "bear Arms."

Both their general acceptance and their regulation, if any, are policy matters not for courts, but left for the people directly through their elected representatives. In the absence of federal legislation, Massachusetts is free to ban these weapons and large capacity magazines.
This Worman dismissal is a mess. So, vindication of a Constitutional right violated by legislation is best left to... the legislature that supposedly violated the right? They say that's okay because 2A rights aren't even at stake here, since the firearms at issue aren't protected by the 2A. I mean, the federal trial court basically says that trial courts can't determine facts (which is a trial court's main f---ing job) related to which firearms are in common usage and therefore protected by the 2A under Heller - such determinations are best left to elected legislatures, the judge says. This district court is abdicating its role in interpreting and protecting Constitutional rights entirely.

And the backflips to distort Heller to reach that predetermined conclusion are just ridiculous:

Heller Supreme Court majority: Not only those weapons useful to military service are protected by the Second Amendment, so handguns for self-defense are also protected, and...

Worman district court judge: HEY WAIT YOU GUYS, maybe that means that any weapons useful to military service are not protected by the Second Amendment! And Miller says you can ban weapons that aren't useful for military service, too! NOTHING is protected, haha! Checkmate, Constitution!

:see_stars:

Bunkum, indeed. The appeal should have a lot to work with here.
Morale was deteriorating and it was all Yossarian's fault. The country was in peril; he was jeopardizing his traditional rights of freedom and independence by daring to exercise them.

AG is an elected position in most states.

I am pretty sure the original intention was to have citizens armed to a military level. Original villages could have cannon.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

I was reading about the Miller decision last night, which I learned about in the Heller decision.

It amazes me that Miller used military utility as a basis for protection under 2A. Because a short barrel, break action shotgun was not used by the military or useful in the common defense, the court upheld that the restrictions placed on SBS’s were legal.

Now we can’t even acquire the same weapons used my our military. Gun Twitter has long been banging on about how the AR and other semi-autos are not military weapons. It got me thinking, could that be played against us and applied to a plethora of weapons? Even muzzleloader could be restricted with that decision, could they not?

I’m no legal expert, but it seems past decisions, when thought of as complimentary to each other, could have us in a pickle. However, if Heller carries more weight than Miller, now, perhaps we could be in a better situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some see a disconnect.
http://www.lowellsun.com/news/ci_317900 ... ves-lowell
"We in Maura Healey's office are doing everything we possibly can to enforce our very strong gun laws in Massachusetts and serve as a model to the nation in that regard," she said.
http://www.telegram.com/news/20171213/c ... se-records
Edison M. Quinones-Pena, 41, of 23 Lebanon St., Worcester, was sentenced to three concurrent terms of 1 year in the House of Correction after pleading guilty to possession of a firearm without a firearm ID card, possession of ammunition without a firearm ID card, and possession of heroin with intent to distribute. The sentence was suspended for 1 year with probation. As a condition of probation, he was ordered to pay $65 monthly probation fee. Two counts of distribution of heroin and improperly storing a firearm were dismissed.

Another lawsuit has been filed against Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey over her 2016 reinterpretation of the state's "assault weapon" ban.

https://s14544.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploa ... Relief.pdf

Fresh lawsuit filed by gun shops over Massachusetts ‘assault weapon’ expansion
Baystate Firearms, of Peabody, and Cape Gun Works, of Hyannis, filed their challenge in a Suffolk County court on Wednesday to Healey’s 2016 enforcement action. The shops argue that instead of enforcing the state’s “assault weapon” ban as written, Healey issued an “entirely new interpretation” of the law that deemed some constitutionally protected firearms once considered “Massachusetts compliant” as illegal.

Just over a year after taking office, Healey announced she was ratcheting up enforcement of the state’s assault weapon ban by targeting “copycat” guns whose actions were similar or interchangeable to AR-15s and AK-47s but otherwise met legal requirements by being sold without features such as a flash suppressor, bayonet lug or telescoping stock. She contended as many as 10,000 such rifles were sold in the Commonwealth in 2015.

The lawsuit filed this week argues that the state lawmakers who crafted the current law only allowed a “features test” similar to the now-expired federal assault weapon ban, not a similarity test, which was only added by Healey without legislation or public input.

From the Massachusetts AG debate. I know nothing about Healey's opponent except that he sounds like a dope, but it was not surprising to see WBUR misrepresent Healey's 2016 unilateral expansion of the state's 1998 AWB.
http://www.wbur.org/news/2018/10/24/mau ... s And Guns
He went after Healey for shutting the sale of so-called "copycat" assault weapons, which gun-makers were producing to get around the state's assault weapons ban.
No bias there. It's called compliance and wasn't a problem until Healey decided it was.
"I think the attorney general should be enforcing the Second Amendment on behalf of the citizens. She just banned wholesale categories of guns because she doesn't like guns."
More like because she wanted to up her profile to get a job in Hillary's administration.
She took the action against copycat weapons, she said, to enforce the state's assault weapons ban.