Re: How the Second Amendment’s Militia Became Part of Today’s Standing Army

SCOTUS is clear right to own and bear arms is not dependent on the service in militia, if that was the case it would be the only right where protection of it under US Constitution is based on the place of the employment, as US Armed Forces are all volunteers and it is a job, full time or part time but nonetheless a job.

Vermont Constitution: " Article 16th. Right to bear arms; standing armies; military power subordinate to civil
That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State - and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power."

https://usconstitution.net/vtconst.html#Article16

Sec. 7. GOVERNOR AS COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF OF MILITARY FORCES. He shall be Commander-in-Chief of the military forces of the State, except when they are called into actual service of the United States. He shall have power to call forth the militia to execute the laws of the State, to suppress insurrections, and to repel invasions.

(Amended Nov. 2, 1999.) https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/CN/htm/CN.4.htm

AndyH wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:58 pm Militia or not militia?

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out ... ce-n969601
Rainbow Patrol: Homophobic attack in Texas leads to volunteer security force
“We keep sweeping it under the rug, saying that homophobic attacks don’t happen here in Austin. But they do,” the founder of Austin's Rainbow Patrol told NBC News.
I saw this a while ago and wholely support it. It's not a militia, though, it's just people with radios (or cell phones, these days) walking around in a big group to be there to help people and provide a presence in the community. It's not armed. I used to be part of the similiar Q Patrol here in Houston in the 90's.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:22 pm

“We keep sweeping it under the rug, saying that homophobic attacks don’t happen here in Austin. But they do,” the founder of Austin's Rainbow Patrol told NBC News.
I saw this a while ago and wholely support it. It's not a militia, though, it's just people with radios (or cell phones, these days) walking around in a big group to be there to help people and provide a presence in the community. It's not armed. I used to be part of the similiar Q Patrol here in Houston in the 90's.
Thanks Eris.

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't think militias must be armed, only that they can be.

Yes, I'm glad groups such as this rise to the need (though it's a damn shame there's a need).

ETA...I think this is the sort of thing I'm thinking about, and why I think local protection groups actually exemplify the spirit/intent of the militia clause. I'm not lecturing, just thinking out loud, IAW my INTP personality. ;)

https://inhabitat.com/us-veteran-group- ... rotestors/
US veteran group forms unarmed militia to defend Standing Rock protestors

After months of violent clashes between demonstrators and police during the standoff over the Dakota Access Pipeline, it looks like protestors may be getting some protection from US veterans. Business Insider reports that Wes Clark Jr, a former Army officer and activist, has issued a call to arms (Veterans Stand for Standing Rock) to fellow veterans to come to the protestors’ aid on December 4, 2016.

California-based Clark Jr., along with Marine Corps veteran and former Baltimore police officer Michael A. Wood Jr., started the Veterans for Standing Rock group in early November with the goal of mobilizing US veterans, fire fighters, ex-law enforcement officers, emergency medical personnel, and other former civil servants as a “peaceful and unarmed militia” to assist the protestors of the Dakota Access Pipeline.

AndyH wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:21 pm
Eris wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:22 pm

Thanks Eris.

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't think militias must be armed, only that they can be.

Yes, I'm glad groups such as this rise to the need (though it's a damn shame there's a need).

ETA...I think this is the sort of thing I'm thinking about, and why I think local protection groups actually exemplify the spirit/intent of the militia clause. I'm not lecturing, just thinking out loud, IAW my INTP personality. ;)

https://inhabitat.com/us-veteran-group- ... rotestors/
US veteran group forms unarmed militia to defend Standing Rock protestors

After months of violent clashes between demonstrators and police during the standoff over the Dakota Access Pipeline, it looks like protestors may be getting some protection from US veterans. Business Insider reports that Wes Clark Jr, a former Army officer and activist, has issued a call to arms (Veterans Stand for Standing Rock) to fellow veterans to come to the protestors’ aid on December 4, 2016.

California-based Clark Jr., along with Marine Corps veteran and former Baltimore police officer Michael A. Wood Jr., started the Veterans for Standing Rock group in early November with the goal of mobilizing US veterans, fire fighters, ex-law enforcement officers, emergency medical personnel, and other former civil servants as a “peaceful and unarmed militia” to assist the protestors of the Dakota Access Pipeline.
Rainbow patrols are a good idea, though I'd be surprised if some members are not armed. There is a long history of gay bashing in gay ghettos of big cities, cops can't protect everyone. Similar to the Guardian Angels formed in the 1970s and known for protecting subway riders in NYC. Also reminds me of Jonathan Rauch's article that kicked off the Pink Pistols.
https://www.salon.com/2000/03/14/pistol/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert said:

... cops can't protect everyone.
I agree. And this is where society has a "ignore that issue" POV for many people. They either want to assert that:
- Being out in public has almost zero danger
- The police are seconds away in an emergency
- Bad things don't really happen to good people

OR they want to assert that "OK, you have a point about personal protection, but the general danger to society outweighs the benefit to the individual."

This is an area no one in the anti-gun crowd wants to address. The police are all but invisible (and far away) in the suburbs. Even in big cities, I seldom see any police presence. I go to NYC and SF very often. There are no police walking the streets that I ever see.

The last time I personally saw a uniformed policeman walking the streets was in 2001 on Union Street in San Francisco.